[SOLVED] water from the soft top/windscreen junction - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #21
resunoiz

My Ride: 320ci
cracks are NOT the only issue.
If the rubber becomes too hard, it doesn't assure the right pressure towards the windscreen.
resunoiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM   #22
jds2726

My Ride: E46 325Ci Vert
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
How are your removing the seal in order to get to the back side and apply silicon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by resunoiz View Post
Solved. I've found how the seal effectively works and was able to completely stop leaks. Maybe the info is useful for other folks with similar problems. Sorry for my bad english, but maybe some english/american can try it and make a tutorial

1) THE KNOWN AND EASY PART: CRACKS ON THE TOP OF THE SEAL
First thing to verify, as someone wrote in the forum, is if there is some hole/crack in the upper part of the seal. Mine has 2 cracks 5cm long in the upper part in correspondance of hooks. I inserted a 20cm piece of rubber from anothe old seal inside my seal's cracks to create a new barrier and the glued it towards the cracked part.

2) MAKING THE A-PILLAR WATERPROOF: JUNCTION BETWEEN SOFT TOP AND WINDSCREEN

I had still leaks. The same I've read in the forum, in the A pillar, in the junction between soft top and windscreen. Never read a complete resolution, so I investigated further. Adding "random" foam, searching for particular seal positions just isn't useful.
I studied my seal and mainly a BRAND NEW seal from a garage queen that never took rain or excessive sun. His seal was almost new so I could point of what was different for his water-proof car and mine.

Being sure there are no other holes in your gasket then I studied closely how the A-pillar "blocks" water to come in the juction.

The secret is not effectively the junction itself between soft top and the windscreen: this point is NOT waterproof. If you move the cover of the junction, there is a gap in it. BUT the upper part on the corners of the seal is! I made a pic of how the water seal "work": you can see the white line I draw on it.

The white line higlights a "protuberance", a "barrier" on the seal. That major thickness ensures the soft top seal to be in close and continue contact towards the windscreen seal, creating a precise "path" for water. If this barier is in full efficieny, water can't flow in windscreen/soft top junction but is redirected to drain holes and sides of the car. So, the point I higlighted in green that is NOT waterproof itself, can't be reached by the water because is stopped before. The part I highlighted in green is not waterproof: simply it have not to be reached by the water from the upper "barrier".

So, if the upper part of the seal I draw in white works well, there is NO WAY water can flow inside the car.
If that point weakens, have cracks made removing the gasket, or the rubber becomes old.. the water is doomed to flow into your car. That explains why leaks affects who removed the seal to repair latches and maybe have cracked it disengaging from the metal angles of the cover, BUT affects too someone who had never removed or touched it: even if that point has no cracks, the tickness of the rubber that creates that inside/outside boundary reduces due to years, temperature, sun....

So I applied a 4/5mm thick layer of neoprene to recreate that "boundary" with the shape of the white line. Water can't pass that point and reach the inside part of the A-pillar. Taht explains why in TIS there is a recommendation to verify the seal is firm in place by the plastic lugs: seal not moving ->no risk of that barrier to come looose. The cracks you can see in my seal on the lugs' compartment is not a problem (anymore), if the "barrier" towards works properly.

Washed with high-pressure water, had 4 days of VERY intense rain: no a single drop of water. Opening the top in the garage, the green point on the second pic was completely dry. No water on my foot!
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:00 AM   #23
resunoiz

yes, this point of the seail unfortunately is visible only if you remove it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
jds2726

Okay, I'll make a tutorial once i figure it out
Old 08-30-2019, 04:11 AM   #25
resunoiz

good luck!
Old 09-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #26
jds2726

No luck so far - i've tired permatex black silicon as well as neoprene tape from amazon with no luck. I placed it in the place suggested with no luck. I'm going to try putting it all the way across the front tomorrow...
Old 09-13-2019, 04:14 AM   #27
resunoiz

make sure the "hidden" border has no hole. not the thinner hole!