The OFFICIAL 2020 Presidential Election Thread - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:00 PM   #61
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
And they are a constant reminder why we are blessed not to live in a federal democracy.
But wouldn't it be awesome to have that surplus siphoned away to other, more populous states to pay for their profligate social programs?
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:02 PM   #62
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
But wouldn't it be awesome to have that surplus siphoned away to other, more populous states to pay for their profligate social programs?
Yes, let's do so via state income tax deductions on federal returns. Who's with me?
Old 01-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #63
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
No discussion of Beto? I think he's a dark horse.
Although we're not seeing a lot of BetoTalk in here, it looks like a lot of BetoTalk is going on within the skeezy underbelly of the Republican election machine:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019...s-progressives

Quote:
The strategy, it seems, is to isolate O’Rourke from the far-left wing of the party by highlighting his capitulation to forces it detests. And, in fact, Bernie Sanders devotees are already primed to question O’Rourke’s progressive credentials. “They think the Establishment is always looking for someone to go against Sanders—to run against progressives in the party and stop them from being ascendant,” Georgetown University historian Michael Kazin recently told my colleague Peter Hamby. “I think they are suspicious of Beto because he has taken oil and gas money, he’s becoming the darling of big donors, and Obama likes him.” The hosts of Sanders-friendly podcast Chapo Trap House have railed against O’Rourke, accusing Democrats of “slapping a cool coat” on his centrism in a desperate attempt to field a candidate who they believe will attract a wider swath of voters.
Cliffs: Bernie bros are reliable stooges for Republican operatives looking to yank the rug out from under dangerously appealing centrist Democratic candidates.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:49 AM   #64
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Democratic billionaire and impeachment crusader Tom Steyer won't run for president
“But as I look overall at the capitalist economies, there are a lot of good things doing, and I think you can tune the tax parameters and get way more equity and get some additional government services and still be in the same basic framework.”
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM   #65
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan

I guess he wants Pence to be POTUS.
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #66
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
I guess he wants Pence to be POTUS.
I have seen people on social media insist that if Trump gets impeached, Pence will be going down in flames with him. I have also seen people state that conviction for election fraud would basically result in Trump/Pence being tossed out and Hillary Clinton being installed as president. So maybe Tom Steyer has been spending too much time on Twitter/Instagram.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM   #67
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
I have seen people on social media insist that if Trump gets impeached, Pence will be going down in flames with him. I have also seen people state that conviction for election fraud would basically result in Trump/Pence being tossed out and Hillary Clinton being installed as president. So maybe Tom Steyer has been spending too much time on Twitter/Instagram.

People be cray
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #68
ti317

My Ride: 02 330ci coupe 5 spd
Add another one to the idiot pile:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.ceb106dc053d

Seems to me that he not only jumped the shark, he shot it to death first.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:21 AM   #69
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
That's just weird
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #70
VaderDave
Invictus

It is interesting to see politicians trying out new things in an effort to harness the power of social media. This one seems a bit tone deaf, much like Elizabeth Warren's recent "I'm gonna get me a beer" livestream. I get the need for politicians to try to connect on a personal level with voters and that social media actually provides unparalleled ability to do that, but I expect we'll see quite a few misfires as time goes by.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #71
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
It is interesting to see politicians trying out new things in an effort to harness the power of social media. This one seems a bit tone deaf, much like Elizabeth Warren's recent "I'm gonna get me a beer" livestream. I get the need for politicians to try to connect on a personal level with voters and that social media actually provides unparalleled ability to do that, but I expect we'll see quite a few misfires as time goes by.
I see this election cycle possibly heading for a consensus that Trump ain't that bad by comparison.

Or not.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:03 PM   #72
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
I see this election cycle possibly heading for a consensus that Trump ain't that bad by comparison.

Or not.

Is Trump going to revive the “It could be worse” campaign that Obama ran in 2012?
Old 01-11-2019, 07:11 PM   #73
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Is Trump going to revive the “It could be worse” campaign that Obama ran in 2012?
Doubt it, very self defeating.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:20 PM   #74
ti317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Doubt it, very self defeating.

Worked for Obama.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:22 PM   #75
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ti317 View Post
Is Trump going to revive the "It could be worse" campaign that Obama ran in 2012?
I see a fair amount of blacks supporting Trump in various town halls around the country. Just saw a few in Cali verbally raping the city council. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump scoops up another 10-20% of the black vote the next time around. Under Trump, on paper, blacks have been doing better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-11-2019 at 07:22 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:57 PM   #76
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I see a fair amount of blacks supporting Trump in various town halls around the country. Just saw a few in Cali verbally raping the city council. I wouldn't be surprised if Trump scoops up another 10-20% of the black vote the next time around. Under Trump, on paper, blacks have been doing better.
This is the interesting part for me. From what I can tell, nobody who posts in this forum is really struggling, financially, job-wise, etc. So it's probably hard for us to understand what it really means to be a person who had a hard time finding employment for years/decades who saw things improve under Trump (or Obama, or whoever) and found employment and job security and bought a house for the first time, etc. I've got to think that that breeds loyalty that we may not really be able to understand.

Last edited by VaderDave; 01-11-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 PM   #77
NFRs2000nyc

Well, those added jobs everyone is so happy about went to someone for sure. Trump also has the numbers on his side should anyone try and bring these topics up during a debate. His "what do you have to lose" line, assuming things stay the same until then, will definitely resonate. Blacks/minorities are doing the same or better under Trump, hardly the implosion everyone was expecting, same with the stock market. Trump would be wise to just put things on cruise control and stop trying to get ahead.....because on paper, he's in first place. Democrats are helping him by being absolutely batsh!t crazy, and putting up their version of the wack pack will make it easy for him to destroy them during debates/media soundbites. That and RBG replacement is imminent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 01-11-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:16 PM   #78
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Well, those added jobs everyone is so happy about went to someone for sure. Trump also has the numbers on his side should anyone try and bring these topics up during a debate. His "what do you have to lose" line, assuming things stay the same until then, will definitely resonate. Blacks/minorities are doing the same or better under Trump, hardly the implosion everyone was expecting, same with the stock market. Trump would be wise to just put things on cruise control and stop trying to get ahead.....because on paper, he's in first place. Democrats are helping him by being absolutely batsh!t crazy, and putting up their version of the wack pack will make it easy for him to destroy them during debates/media soundbites. That and RBG replacement is imminent.
If we're talking about jobs, its just a continuation of what has been going pretty well for a long time. Hell, more jobs were created in the years immediately preceding trump versus the years OF trump. It should also be noted, and has been, that he claimed the UE rate was 40% a few years ago and that the job market was all fake. Strange how that works, lol

Trumps stock market is basically average, as well. Two corrections and typical growth...nothing bombastic. We're also likely to see a one year spike for GDP growth and then moderation back to the norm. THe economy is doing well, no doubt, as has been the trend for a decade (that of improvements). If the economy beings to stumble, and the stock market continues its volatile ways in part due to the political climate, thats not going to be a good look for Trump.

Edit: As for RBG, I'm seeing very mixed reporting. Some on the right excitedly stating that she is basically Uncle Bernie....others saying that she's cancer free and back to hearings next week.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

Last edited by evolved; 01-11-2019 at 08:17 PM.
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #79
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post

Edit: As for RBG, I'm seeing very mixed reporting. Some on the right excitedly stating that she is basically Uncle Bernie....others saying that she's cancer free and back to hearings next week.
I haven't seen anything other than posts about her being declared cancer free and ready to save Western Civilization once again.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:39 PM   #80
NFRs2000nyc

I don't think she will outlast Trump's first term...and I don't mean death, I mean she will have to retire....just my speculation of course.