In case you haven't heard, Alabama has essentially banned abortions. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
In case you haven't heard, Alabama has essentially banned abortions.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama...st-2019-05-14/

Quote:
The legislation -- House Bill 314, "Human Life Protection Act" -- bans all abortions in the state except when "abortion is necessary in order to prevent a serious health risk" to the woman, according to the bill's text. It criminalizes the procedure, reclassifying abortion as a Class A felony, punishable by up to 99 years in prison for doctors. Attempted abortions will be reclassified as a Class C penalty.
The people who run this state are fucking retarded.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM   #2
Shaban

My Ride: 2005 CBR600
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alabama...st-2019-05-14/

The people who run this state are fucking retarded.
More time in jail for the doctor than for the person who raped the girl. It's ridiculous and they know that it normally wouldn't stand. They are just hoping this goes to the Supreme Court and hoping they would overturn Roe v Wade.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaban View Post
They are just hoping this goes to the Supreme Court and hoping they would overturn Roe v Wade.
This, in a nutshell. Every article I read about this says that that appears to be the endgame.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
SPDSKTR

I know what their ultimate goal is, and it's just disgusting. It seems like this round of republicans are more despicable than the last. I fail to understand how people can support such a hate-filled group. And the blatant hypocrisy is just astounding. Prime example:

Republicans: "Sharia Law is bad and should never be followed."
Also Republicans: "We need to control women and incorporate religion into politics."

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 05-15-2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Words.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #5
Stankia

My Ride: Germans
Why do you live there?

Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
In before this devolves into everything except a discussion about how to determine as objectively as possible when an organism becomes a human life under the law.

Somewhere between "hey baby you're lookin good tonight" and "congrats, it's a boy" there's a point everyone can find where they say "yes, now it's a living human for all legal purposes". Unless we're willing to address our differing criteria for that, all the other arguments are dancing around the main issue.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:27 PM   #7
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Also Republicans: "We need to control women and incorporate religion into politics."
Yep

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #8
Stankia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
In before this devolves into everything except a discussion about how to determine as objectively as possible when an organism becomes a human life under the law.

Somewhere between "hey baby you're lookin good tonight" and "congrats, it's a boy" there's a point everyone can find where they say "yes, now it's a living human for all legal purposes". Unless we're willing to address our differing criteria for that, all the other arguments are dancing around the main issue.
How about we let the potential parents decide since there is no general agreement and never will be.

Last edited by Stankia; 05-15-2019 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
Xcelratr

Quote:
Meh, that's a pretty weak comparison.

If an individual believes that a human life begins when sperm fertilizes egg, then that person is going to consider abortion as killing a human being. They don't need to involve any religious dogma, their belief and reasoning can be entirely secular. That cannot be said about Sharia law.

Now, I don't for a minute believe that many on the right have objectively considered all the biology and arrived at that conclusion independent of their religion. I believe many of them simply believe what their religious leaders/institutions tell them. But the fact that one position CAN be entirely secular and the other can't makes your comparison fall apart.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
How about we let the potential parents decide since there is no general agreement and never will be.
Good idea. So if Mom & Dad decide that point is at age 2, we'll just stay out of it, because there's no general agreement and never will be.

Just because it's not easy to come to an agreement doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and let everyone do whatever they want. Imagine if we did that with speed limits.

Have you ever, in however many years you've been paying attention to this subject, heard disagreeing sides sit down and try to hammer out some agreement based solely on objective biology? Or has every discussion you've ever been aware of consisted solely of each side's well rehearsed appeals to emotion and vilification of their opponents?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #11
Stankia

Quote:
Good idea. So if Mom & Dad decide that point is at age 2, we'll just stay out of it, because there's no general agreement and never will be.

Just because it's not easy to come to an agreement doesn't mean we should throw up our hands and let everyone do whatever they want. Imagine if we did that with speed limits.

Have you ever, in however many years you've been paying attention to this subject, heard disagreeing sides sit down and try to hammer out some agreement based solely on objective biology? Or has every discussion you've ever been aware of consisted solely of each side's well rehearsed appeals to emotion and vilification of their opponents?
I forgot to add that the point should be somewhere between the Jizz flowing and the baby being born, but that should have been obvious. If they decide to get rid of their 2 year old, I'm sure there are adoption agencies that can make that happen.

The biological discussion has been tried before, every doctor can interpret when someone becomes human differently. It's a pointless discussion really, just let the parents who ultimately will be the ones responsible for the child decide.

Last edited by Stankia; 05-15-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #12
Stankia

Quote:

I forgot to add that the point should be somewhere between the Jizz flowing and the baby being born, but that should have been obvious.

The biological discussion has been tried before, every doctor can interpret when someone becomes a human differently. It's a pointless discussion really, just let the parents who ultimately will be the ones responsible for the child decide.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #13
Xcelratr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
I forgot to add that the point should be somewhere between the Jizz flowing and the baby being born, but that should have been obvious. If they decide to get rid of their 2 year old, I'm sure there are adoption agencies that can make that happen.

The biological discussion has been tried before, every doctor can interpret when someone becomes human differently. It's a pointless discussion really, just let the parents who ultimately will be the ones responsible for the child decide.
So if the parents decide to abort the pregnancy the day before the kid is due to be born, we're good? Hands off, because every doctor can interpret when someone becomes human differently?
Old 05-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #14
SPDSKTR

Quote:
So if the parents decide to abort the pregnancy the day before the kid is due to be born, we're good? Hands off, because every doctor can interpret when someone becomes human differently?
If it's in the belly, it can turn to jelly.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #15
Xcelratr

Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #16
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
I'm not pro life, but the position is certainly not exclusively a religious belief. Of all the pro life people i know only about half are religious folk. To be fair, if you're looking at it scientifically the argument falls to the pro life camp. Pretty sure once the organism has its own unique DNA it's objectively a new life, scientifically.

I'm in the Thanos camp.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart

Last edited by Act of God; 05-15-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:24 PM   #17
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
I think this raises some excellent points, these comments are from a woman who is currently pregnant.

Quote:
The baby is a fetus up to a certain point in the pregnancy. It can't sustain it's own life without the woman's body, therefore it's not a human that gets the same rights. It doesn't even have conscious thought until 27 weeks. I heartbeat doesn't necessarily mean that it is alive. Look how many people are on life support that are terminated. I fail to see the difference. Plus pregnancy takes A LOT out of the mother. It's a huge sacrifice and financial burden to carry a child. Why force that on someone who may not be capable of either. It's barbaric.

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM   #18
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
A newborn can't survive on its own
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #19
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
A newborn can't survive on its own
That's not what she meant and I think you know that.

bgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
1) Babies can't sustain their own lives for many years after being born.
2) How do we know the point at which fetuses begin to have conscious thought?
3) Failing to see the difference between pulling the plug on a person in a vegetative state and aborting a fetus just means you don't think very hard.
4) Oh, let's fall back on the "don't inconvenience me therefore barbarian" argument.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote