Stem Cells.... Good call Pres - Page 5 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #81
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
soylent green is people

As for the morals of who live and dies and when. Solve that problem through cloning. If Minsky's hypothesis is correct, you could grow the colne and replicate the precise data store of that persons brain through activation of the correct neural pathways.

Nothing wrong with clones as souls do not exist.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #82
qooldude

My Ride: 328i, M3 & Cayenne S
to the current administration for lifting the ban on federal funding.

Cause if you or a loved one were paralyzed, and embryonic stem cell research offered a "chance" at curing it in your lifetime, you would be all over that.
qooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #83
The Jerk

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by qooldude View Post

Cause if you or a loved one were paralyzed, and embryonic stem cell research offered a "chance" at curing it in your lifetime, you would be all over that.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:04 PM   #84
qooldude

My Ride: 328i, M3 & Cayenne S
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
qooldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #85
palindrome

My Ride: ...
count me in!

Last edited by Palindrome; December 4, 1986.
palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:28 PM   #86
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by qooldude View Post

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #87
MotorWerkz

My Ride: european
Send a message via AIM to MotorWerkz
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
If that were the case, then it should be legal to donkey punch your "pregnant" girlfriend because it aint no human after all
and the pregnant girlfriend is not human? It's okay to donkey-punch her, but you would be in jail for assaulting her.

IMO Embryo is not human yet until it has brain and heart.

MotorWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #88
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorWerkz View Post
IMO Embryo is not human yet until it has brain and heart.
So people who are brain dead and have machines pumping their heart are not human, right?

Kill 'em all!

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #89
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
So people who are brain dead and have machines pumping their heart are not human, right?

Kill 'em all!
Is that really living? I sure as hell wouldn't want to live that way. Thinking about it now makes me want to get that sentiment down in writing somewhere just in case.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #90
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
Is that really living? I sure as hell wouldn't want to live that way. Thinking about it now makes me want to get that sentiment down in writing somewhere just in case.
Idk. That's where it becomes confusing for me. Vegetative state until death.

An embryo is in a vegetative state until birth... at least they have something to look forward to.

I'm not anti-choice or anti-abortion or anti-life... I have multiple views on abortion... stem cell research I CAN support, though.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-10-2009, 10:02 PM   #91
MotorWerkz

Quote:

Kill 'em all!
Anyone who's in vegetative state would wish to die than to live but can't do anything. Living in that state is like living in the darkest prison.

If abortion is legal, then stem cell should also be legal. At least Stem cell will help human lives and abortion will not.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #92
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
At least Stem cell will help human lives and abortion will not.
Well said.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #93
DME46

Quote:
Anyone who's in vegetative state would wish to die than to live but can't do anything. Living in that state is like living in the darkest prison.
But we would not use a coat hanger to end their lives would we?

We wouldn't put their bodies in a bio hazard bag and let them starve to death or suffocate.

It's a matter of respect for life, a lot of people don't have it. It's a shame that many people only look towards the scientific aspect of everything.

We might as well be robots in the future and only live to be efficient. Once we become inefficient, end us.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #94
rdsesq
ouroboros autorotica

My Ride: 2002 330i
Quote:
It's a matter of respect for life
Why? Why should we respect life?
I can understand it if you are taking a buddhist philosophy of respecting all life. However, if you are just talking about human life, it becomes problematic. First, the definition of what constitutes human must be determined.

If it is at the moment of conception (sperm fertilizing egg) then one is defining life by a DNA sequence. So the specific DNA sequence must be established and what happens to mutations/birth defects that do not meet that sequence.

I think it is a shame that many people don't look at the scientific data we have today and continue with outdated and prejudicial view of what constitutes human.

quis custodiet ipsos custodes
rdsesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #95
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsesq View Post
I think it is a shame that many people don't look at the scientific data we have today and continue with outdated and prejudicial view of what constitutes human.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-10-2009, 11:17 PM   #96
Green_Shine

My Ride: Back seat riding
According to South Park you just snap the fetus' neck and suck.

Green_Shine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #97
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Quote:
Idk. That's where it becomes confusing for me. Vegetative state until death.

An embryo is in a vegetative state until birth... at least they have something to look forward to.

I'm not anti-choice or anti-abortion or anti-life... I have multiple views on abortion... stem cell research I CAN support, though.
I would disagree... it's cells that are growing. Regardless of that, taking an embryo which have very few cells, is not a human. A human has trillions of cells. Embryo's go from 1-2-4-8-etc.... no way is 64 cells a human. Sorry.

Coldintake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:25 PM   #98
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I would disagree... it's cells that are growing. Regardless of that, taking an embryo which have very few cells, is not a human. A human has trillions of cells. Embryo's go from 1-2-4-8-etc.... no way is 64 cells a human. Sorry.
Bah... I meant fetus... fetuses have more than 64 cells I'm sure.

I'm OK with stem cell research to a point... I don't like how Obama gave the scientists whistle blowing protection though...

Many horrible things were started with the best intentions. We all know how sh!tty the human race can be.

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 03-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #99
MotorWerkz

Fetus is not the same as Embryo. Fetus already has beating heart and brain cells.

If they throw the fetus for the purpose of stem cell, then I strongly reject this research.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:44 PM   #100
Coldintake
Registered OG User

My Ride: Mid-engine beast
Btw.. I don't understand the fascination that people have for humans... humans share 50% of their DNA with a banana... If we could use banana stem cells, I'd be all for it...as long as it saved lives.

Coldintake is offline   Reply With Quote