Convertible Top preventive maintenance? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #1
jds2726

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Cabrio
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
Convertible Top preventive maintenance?

Is there anything I can do as preventive maintenance for the folding top? I use it almost every day so I'm just trying to do everything I can to prevent it from breaking.

I've already reinforced the windshield latches as per Taylor192's thread and replaced my headliner and bat wings because they were torn.

Is it worth it to change out the hydraulic fluid for the top? If so, what fluid does it take?
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:00 PM   #2
jds2726

My Ride: 2003 325Ci Cabrio
Transmission: ZF 5HP-19
Oh, forgot to mention that I also lubed the joints following this thread: http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showt...light=vert+top
jds2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 12:21 AM   #3
prodjay10

Keep top fabric clean. Keep top up when not using for prolong periods of time to prevent mold and shrinking. Most top manufacturers recommend hand washing because the automatic car washes tend to be harsh on the fabric and may cause the seals to leak. Don't use any harsh detergents or products not recommended for convertible tops.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2020, 12:24 AM   #4
prodjay10

Flushing may help though not sure. It's a sealed system but may still get moisture in fluid. According to Top hydraulics, the Benz hydraulic fluid for convertibles is same and way cheaper.
prodjay10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 AM   #5
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjay10 View Post
Keep top fabric clean. Keep top up when not using for prolong periods of time to prevent mold and shrinking.
I use a soft-bristled brush and laundry soap to keep my tops clean. What makes them dirty is parking outside where dust and pollen settle in them easily.

Never store a wet top in the down position for obvious reasons. As long as your top is DRY, keeping it in the open position isn't going to have any effect on it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous:

All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote