No sound from tweeters - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #1
Himera

My Ride: 330xi
No sound from tweeters

Hello, today I started my car, only to find out that there's something wrong with the music. I felt it didn't have the same power and was lacking treble. Went ahead and started tweaking the bass and treble from my CD, however, even if I removed the bass and maxed out treble, I could barely hear any. All the music was kind of muffled a bit and only bassy with my regular preset. Started listening to all the speakers, and found out that only the bass speakers were actually working. The middle speakers might've worked as well, but I'm not really sure, since it was hard to hear them by themselves. Even when my ear was near them, the bass speaker is too close to the middle to figure that out. I checked all the speakers in the car by ear, having rolled the sound position to left and right respectively. None of the tweeters on the 4 doors seemed to work. I decided to swap my CD for the original tape player that came with the car to see if it would fix the problem, but sadly it didn't. I ruled out the problem being from the CD. I started reading, and saw that usually it's a problem in the BM54 radio amplifier. Well, I went to the trunk to get it out and check it. Apparently my car doesn't have one. I've got a radio amplifier, but it isn't the "BM54" one. Here's a picture of mine:
https://imgur.com/cIHSRxs

Nevertheless, I decided to open it up and see if there's anything wrong with it. Seems good as new:

https://imgur.com/jLB5549

I did try to put some music while the radio amp is unplugged, but there was no sound at all.
I still sprayed both sides of the connector with WD-40 just in case, but that didn't help at all. I also sprayed and cleaned the connectors on the dash for the CD.
I tested on different songs, genres, radio, cd, USB, etc., same thing on everything, so it wasn't the song for sure!

I didn't find any topics regarding my case or my type of radio amp, so I'd be thankful if anybody knows what's going on here!

The car is 2000 E46 330xi.

Edit: The images are broken for some reason so I'll just post the links to them.

Last edited by Himera; 12-07-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Himera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:05 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
First, WD40 is not an electric contact cleaner. Buy a can of a quality cleaner. I use stuff made by CRC.

This is odd. The head unit sends four channels (LF, LR, RF, RR) of full range audio to the amp. The amp amplifies the four channels and then uses built in crossovers to divide the audio into 10 channels:
- 4 high frequency (tweets)
- 4 mid range frequency (mids)
- 2 low frequency (woofers).

Does the car have the Harmon Kardon audio system?

Can you borrow another amp?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #3
Himera

Hey, I forgot to mention that It's not HK system (the only way of me knowing this is that there is no Harman Kardon logo on the speaker panels and the mids inside the doors are labeled BMW i think, but surely not HK). The low frequency speakers are changed to aftermarket ones, but that was years ago and everything worked fine without me touching anything. The two speakers on trunk shelf work for sure, since I can mostly hear music coming from the back. Basically currently I have sound from the trunk shelf and the front woofers, the 2 mids on the front MIGHT work, but I'm not really sure due to them being too close to the woofers. I could disconnect the woofers and check, but I'd have to wait for the temperatures to rise a bit before I open the doors. I'm sure that the tweets don't work, neither the front or the back ones. I also forgot to mention that winter just hit us like a week ago. I do have a water leak problem in my car, which I'll be dealing with this week, and I'm 99% sure where it comes from, but I'll double check it this week. Pretty much water leaks in my footwell, however it's 100% not from the doors, since I fixed those long ago, not from the windshield cowl, since I bought a brand new one and it still leaks. Most likely it's a windshield leak, since it was replaced some time ago, but I'll be checking that this week since temperatures will rise a bit. I did have some humidity problems from that: GM5 module was corroded (cleaned and fixed that), light module bugs on me sometimes, the dash was replaced by last owner, so probably the original dash died from the humidity.

I'm wondering if the cable that goes from the head unit to the amp is just a straight cable without any connectors on the way, because if there is a split somewhere behind the dash, it could've corroded. Sadly I can't find any info on this. The connector that connects to the CD is perfectly fine, no corrosion or anything there, nor there is a problem with the OEM-to-ISO10487 adapter, which I really didn't use while testing with the OEM tape player obviously. But if there is a split somewhere in the dash, that could've surely gone bad. When I connected the OEM player the buttons on the steering wheel worked perfectly, if that helps.

Sadly I can't borrow another amp, I'm not even sure where to find the same amp. Can I just plug a BM54 amp or any other amp insted and try with that, because I could probably find one of those.
Edit: I found an "Alpine" amp, similar to mine, I'll probably go and test it out at the seller tomorrow. The amp looks similar to mine. Can't see the part number on the pictures, only the "Alpine" logo, since the picture is too small, but it looks the same as mine.

I do have a navigation system, however it's not the one that goes together with the tape player, rather it's below the heaters, instead of an ashtray. It's a pretty rare model, I'll try to find a picture on google. Pictures:
http://www.gameprofi.de/xroad/xroad16.jpg
http://www.gameprofi.de/xroad/xroad10.jpg
http://www.gameprofi.de/xroad/xroad11.jpg

Also, all this probably started like a month ago, because I did feel that I didn't get as much loudness than I did before, since I usually listened to music at 20-22 volume, and that was loud, but I did feel that it started getting quieter over time, since I had to increase the volume to like 23-24. I figured it were my ears, since I'm a guitarist and I gig now and then, so could've damaged my ears during shows or rehearsals, but I guess that's not it.
By the way, the car is a sedan.

Edit: Managed to find pictures of the navi, can't find what model it is or any more info, other than the sound doesn't come from the standard speakers, but rather from some other speaker somewhere below the steering wheel. Exactly the same as on the pictures.

Last edited by Himera; 12-08-2019 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
markusmarkus

That nav is aftermarket isnít it?

The wires between the head unit and the amp are twisted pair. There are 4 pairs. There are no connectors in the cable except for the the connectors at the head unit and the amp. The wires run down the left side of the car.

This is odd!! Why all 4 tweets at the same time???
Old 12-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Himera

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusmarkus View Post
That nav is aftermarket isnít it?

The wires between the head unit and the amp are twisted pair. There are 4 pairs. There are no connectors in the cable except for the the connectors at the head unit and the amp. The wires run down the left side of the car.

This is odd!! Why all 4 tweets at the same time???
I'm not sure if the nav is aftermarket. It says "BMW" below it, on the remote, and in the trunk where the nav disk is. I also have the book for it which is also from BMW and is similar to the other books for the car, all came together in a leather cover. It could've been added after the car was bought, since I don't see it in the car's extras when I check the VIN online. I've seen this once on another car that was sold here in my country, and a few times on the internet when I searched for it.

I actually found 2 websites that have those, but I believe those sites are fishy:

https://www.bodykits.com/i-24292079-...-computer.html
https://store.bimmernav.com/products...ation-computer

I have no idea, but the more I'm in the car, the more I'm sure that the mids on the front door don't work either, the back ones work for sure though. Sadly the guy with the Alpine amp didn't answer his phone today, so I'll have to wait to solve this mystery.

Can somebody please tell me if another amp would work instead of this one, even if it's an aftermarket one?
Old 12-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
wasp9166

My Ride: 04 330i jet black
i used the crc stuff on my flickering eagle eye tail...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"if polarity comes from protons, does morality come from morons?"

Quote:
"Mommy and Daddy are getting a divorce now because wasp9166 had to piitb with Mom."
wasp9166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:44 AM   #7
markusmarkus

No sound from tweeters

Go to www.realoem.com and enter the last 7 characters of the carís vehicle identification number. Hit enter and bookmark the page. Scroll down to audio. Click on the amp icon for the non-HK amp. Click on the part #. The website will show you the bimmers that used that amp.

My old 2001 330Ci (non-hk) has an amp that was used throughout the E46 production run. I bet that your amp is interchangeable with any non-hk amp.

Last edited by markusmarkus; 12-10-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #8
Himera

Yeah, I found the amp: #65128368230. Used pretty much on all E46's, both European and USA. I went to a shop today, they told me that they can take the car on Thursday. Will update with what happens!
Thank you so far!
Old 12-11-2019, 08:26 AM   #9
markusmarkus

Youíre welcome.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:00 AM   #10
Himera

Turned out to be torn cables in driver's door. After fixing that all started working again.