Best Angel Eyes in 2019 - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 03:47 AM   #61
elfer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Transmission: 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by petro240 View Post
Can anyone comment on how the angel eye guy kits are at night?

My concern is if they are too bright to the point of creating glare for other drivers.
I've found the kits that are bright enough to be effective as DRLs in daylight are indeed too bright at night. FWIW, here in Europe factory fit DRLs are required to automatically dim or extinguish when the headlights are switched on, for that very reason. The DRL light output isn't shielded like a low beam headlight and it goes everywhere, creating glare. I wanted my angel eyes to behave like modern factory LED DRLs, so I've used a relay triggered by the lighting circuit to switch the power supply to the AEs via a DC-DC converter that takes the voltage down to 9v.

(By dimming them with the headlights rather than having them turn off, they also function as my sidelights and parking lights, like modern factory DRLs over here. So I've been able to delete the 5w incandescent sidelight bulbs we have here in the high beam housing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
interesting you call them "sidelights", I've owed many euro spec lights over the decades (Hella/Cibie) and we all called that feature the "city light".
I think someone on a US forum must have once guessed they were called city lights and you all ran with it Never heard them called that over here. In legislation they're like your corner lights, in that they are required to be on whenever the headlights are on so, if a headlight bulb goes out, oncoming traffic can't mistake you for a motorcycle. The difference is they have to be white, within a certain distance of the side of the vehicle (hence the name) and not amber (because that's reserved for signalling or warning). We also have a requirement to have sidelights and tail lights lit on at least the offside when parked at night where there are no streetlights, which is why in BMW speak they're standlicht, literally standing lights, and use can use the indicator stalk when the keys are out to light them on one side only.

Last edited by elfer; 05-03-2019 at 04:46 AM. Reason: clarity
elfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51 AM   #62
JohnnyBoy07

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkstar5379 View Post
Had my Umnitza V4s for over a year now with no major issues, I too got the opaque option and wired up the dimmer switch for night use,
They're very bright and makes the car look a lot newer when they're on.

I might make a full review on them one day if anyone is on the fence but here's some highlights
-very bright (in a good way)
-easy-ish to install, I just followed a YouTube video
-fitment is ok, would recommend to have projectors or you'll have a gap around the bowl
-would recommend opaque
-wait for a sale

If fitment is a high priority then I don't recommend getting these (unless there's a way to make them flushed with the High beam Bowl)
but other than that its worth it, Every time I unlock my car it still brings a smile to my face, so its worth it to me

Just wondering if I can achieve this look on my 01 330ci. Where did you get those exactly? I have no experience when it comes to wiring AEs but I have the time and motivation to learn. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using E46Fanatics mobile app
JohnnyBoy07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #63
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy07 View Post
Just wondering if I can achieve this look on my 01 330ci. Where did you get those exactly? I have no experience when it comes to wiring AEs but I have the time and motivation to learn. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950W using E46Fanatics mobile app
First 4 words of the post you quoted...
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:05 AM   #64
Darkstar5379

My Ride: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenh7 View Post
First 4 words of the post you quoted...
^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy07 View Post
Umnitzas Orion V4 LED Angel Eyes

These are the ones I purchased^^

I'm sure you can get the same look, the rings are a bit smaller than the bowls so the fitment isn't perfect. I have projectors so It's only noticeable around the high beam bowls, especially when they're off, but when they're on I don't notice the gaps unless I'm a foot away. Sometimes the driver side pair flickers and dimes on cold mornings, I don't know what causes this but it happens rarely and once the car warms up they're bright again. The only real issue I have with them.

They've been great so far. It's pricey but I got them on sale. I just looked up how to install angle eyes on YouTube, "ShopLifeTV" has a pretty good DIY and so does "Twinline Garage". There's a number of DIY guides on the forums here too. Search is your friend. Its pretty easy to install and those DIYs apply for most AE kits. I do like those "Angle Eye Guy" ones too, I will try to convince my bother to get them on his 330i, and compare the two, hopes this helps

Last edited by Darkstar5379; 05-12-2019 at 10:06 AM.
Darkstar5379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #65
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Who would be interested in a group buy for the V4 - just in time for July 4th?
we're talking $200 for the set if we get 20 people...
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #66
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Who would be interested in a group buy for the V4 - just in time for July 4th?
we're talking $200 for the set if we get 20 people...
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:26 AM   #67
sparky300

My Ride: 04 IMOLA ZHP 6spd
Year: 2004
Model: 330i
Transmission: 6spd
I'd be interested. Count me in
sparky300 is offline   Reply With Quote