DIY: Start/Stop button - Page 7 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #121
djnono

Hello! I started doing the PCB panel for the generator. I have so many questions about which of its inputs are from the generator and its output to the CAS module?

Thanks in advance
djnono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:11 PM   #122
blink977

My Ride: Bmw E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by djnono View Post
Hello! I started doing the PCB panel for the generator. I have so many questions about which of its inputs are from the generator and its output to the CAS module?

Thanks in advance
what do you mean with "generator"?
blink977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 12:45 AM   #123
djnono

I'm sorry for the "alternator" in the PCB panel what is IN and which OUT connection?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:14 AM   #124
blink977

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnono View Post
I'm sorry for the "alternator" in the PCB panel what is IN and which OUT connection?
"IN" comes from alternator blue wire, it gives controller information that engine is started, then controller IC sends "OUT" signal to CAS module, and disables starter. this signal is actually short to ground, nothing else

Last edited by blink977; 11-26-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:56 AM   #125
djnono

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink977 View Post
"IN" comes from alternator Blue wire, it gives controller information that engine is started, than controller IC sends "OUT" signal to CAS module, and disables starter. this signal is actually short to ground, nothing else
And at which point a PCB panel should be wired because unfortunately I have not found anywhere or did not see
Old 11-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #126
blink977

Old 11-26-2018, 11:35 AM   #127
djnono

Thank you

Last edited by djnono; 11-26-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:56 AM   #128
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
djnono, any success? this is 100% my summer project now
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #129
egoy936

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
I want to tackle this as well, super interested.
egoy936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:16 PM   #130
m157y

My Ride: e46 330ci
Year: 2003
Transmission: Manual
blink977, looks like something wrong with archive.. there is only empty folder on google drive
m157y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM   #131
YoitsTmac

bump.

I understand that both keys have to be merged together, the E46 key unlocking doors and the E9x key for starting. However, if the door is unlocked through the keyless entry of the E9X system, can we completely eliminate the E46 key, excluding for emergencies?
Old 05-30-2019, 10:56 PM   #132
YoitsTmac

bump. Would like some more eyes on this.

Edit: for those who are interested in this project, I'd be happy to share some of the research I've compiled. That, and I can return to this post for everything.

The big stuff:
-This link is the most important. It tells you how the system works, what terminals it interacts with at what stages, offers links on how every piece behaves and for each chassis and some pinouts between modules. 90% of what you need to see is either on this page or can be accessed there.
-A more technical overview. There is some overlap with the above link
-Sequence of CAS
-The range of "aerial" key sensors in E9x and E6x chassis' can be helpful when doing your own.
-Technical rundown of E9x wiring setup and E6x setup

If you're like me, you're planning on the doors as well. I have a door handle from an E60 M5 and have concluded that this is the harder of the two. So here is the E9x key diagram, which will be the route I'm going. Here is the E60 if you must: link

The big difference is that the E9x has lock and unlock capacitive sensors INSIDE the door handle. The E60 relies on a capacitive sensor on the inside of the door for unlock. For unlock, both also have a tension sensor to act as a redundancy to the unlock capacitive sensor. I haven't looked for the PN for this for eBay shopping, and this would work for keyless unlock (but you'd probably want a keyless lock capacitor anyway), but who wants to yank a looked door for unlock?

More detail orientated links: The nitty gritty
This states that the car won't start without DME. I don't know how we bypassed this: Link
More so about how CAS/PassiveGo plays a role with unlock/lock/security: link
Immobilizer aspects: link
Info about the BUS communication, particularly aimed at doors: Link

Last edited by YoitsTmac; 05-30-2019 at 11:43 PM.
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #133
blink977

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
bump. Would like some more eyes on this.

Edit: for those who are interested in this project, I'd be happy to share some of the research I've compiled. That, and I can return to this post for everything.

The big stuff:
-This link is the most important. It tells you how the system works, what terminals it interacts with at what stages, offers links on how every piece behaves and for each chassis and some pinouts between modules. 90% of what you need to see is either on this page or can be accessed there.
-A more technical overview. There is some overlap with the above link
-Sequence of CAS
-The range of "aerial" key sensors in E9x and E6x chassis' can be helpful when doing your own.
-Technical rundown of E9x wiring setup and E6x setup

If you're like me, you're planning on the doors as well. I have a door handle from an E60 M5 and have concluded that this is the harder of the two. So here is the E9x key diagram, which will be the route I'm going. Here is the E60 if you must: link

The big difference is that the E9x has lock and unlock capacitive sensors INSIDE the door handle. The E60 relies on a capacitive sensor on the inside of the door for unlock. For unlock, both also have a tension sensor to act as a redundancy to the unlock capacitive sensor. I haven't looked for the PN for this for eBay shopping, and this would work for keyless unlock (but you'd probably want a keyless lock capacitor anyway), but who wants to yank a looked door for unlock?

More detail orientated links: The nitty gritty
This states that the car won't start without DME. I don't know how we bypassed this: Link
More so about how CAS/PassiveGo plays a role with unlock/lock/security: link
Immobilizer aspects: link
Info about the BUS communication, particularly aimed at doors: Link
Nice info for beginners, but it is not as complicated as you wrote, for example: why do you worry about CAS-DME sync? The CAS installed in E46 will remain orphan, without DME or something else, EWS module will still remain in your car, and play immo role. Just wire up CAS, KGM and PGS(passive go), go to JLpcb and order my pcb board and parts for it, solder everything, and you are ready to go.
Important info on Passive GO: I mentioned earlier that Passive Go will sometimes see the key fob, and sometimes not. I figured out why it happens: PGS module needs message about vehicle speed from DSC module within CAN-bus. It just needs to know is vehicle stationary or not, if yes, it will start, if no, it won't. Unfortunately it is impossible to wire E9X or E6X DCS module in E46, because newer DSC's are bus users on PT-CAN(powertrain CAN), which does not exist in E46. Even if you will install DSC module in E46, it will not work, because it uses active wheel speed sensors, which are not driven by toothed wheel in wheel hub, but with magnet inside hub. In addition to this, wheel sensor will send signal every 70 milliseconds when vehicle is standing, which tells the module that vehicle is stationary. In my case PGS module does not receive message from DSC, that's why it works sometime, and some time not. I don't have any idea yet, how to solve this. My E46 is sold out, and I'm owner of E92 335i.
As for door handles, honestly I never thought about installing them, but I'm sure it is possible, E9X door handles are preferred, because they have capacitive sensor inside handle itself

Last edited by blink977; 05-31-2019 at 04:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #134
blink977

Quote:
Originally Posted by m157y View Post
blink977, looks like something wrong with archive.. there is only empty folder on google drive
I checked the archive, it gives CRC error during extraction, but files are good for sure

Last edited by blink977; 05-31-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #135
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Nice info for beginners, but it is not as complicated as you wrote, for example: why do you worry about CAS-DME sync? The CAS installed in E46 will remain orphan, without DME or something else, EWS module will still remain in your car, and play immo role. Just wire up CAS, KGM and PGS(passive go), go to JLpcb and order my pcb board and parts for it, solder everything, and you are ready to go.
Important info on Passive GO: I mentioned earlier that Passive Go will sometimes see the key fob, and sometimes not. I figured out why it happens: PGS module needs message about vehicle speed from DSC module within CAN-bus. It just needs to know is vehicle stationary or not, if yes, it will start, if no, it won't. Unfortunately it is impossible to wire E9X or E6X DCS module in E46, because newer DSC's are bus users on PT-CAN(powertrain CAN), which does not exist in E46. Even if you will install DSC module in E46, it will not work, because it uses active wheel speed sensors, which are not driven by toothed wheel in wheel hub, but with magnet inside hub. In addition to this, wheel sensor will send signal every 70 milliseconds when vehicle is standing, which tells the module that vehicle is stationary. In my case PGS module does not receive message from DSC, that's why it works sometime, and some time not. I don't have any idea yet, how to solve this. My E46 is sold out, and I'm owner of E92 335i.
As for door handles, honestly I never thought about installing them, but I'm sure it is possible, E9X door handles are preferred, because they have capacitive sensor inside handle itself
Hey Blink, thanks for the follow up. Are you saying you no longer own the E46 in this project? Thank you for update. I brought up the DME because my interpretation of the documentation suggested that it was necessary to authorize start, which we obviously don't have. Didn't you also say there is an option in NCS to code CAS to allow one push crank start without DSC? (I believe that's why you said the car requires two pushes)
Old 06-01-2019, 01:40 PM   #136
blink977

Quote:
Hey Blink, thanks for the follow up. Are you saying you no longer own the E46 in this project? Thank you for update. I brought up the DME because my interpretation of the documentation suggested that it was necessary to authorize start, which we obviously don't have. Didn't you also say there is an option in NCS to code CAS to allow one push crank start without DSC? (I believe that's why you said the car requires two pushes)
Yes, I have sold my E46 out year ago, but this does not mean that I will not help with this project.
As I remember I mentioned here that CAS should be coded with NCS expert in order to not push start button twice after ignition ON, to engage the starter. The sequence is next: putting key fob into key slot, it will release ACC, if you will press the brake and start button after this, the car will start. But, in case of passive go: one push will release ACC even brake pedal remains depressed, second push will release ignition and start the car. Unfortunately this is a limitation of absent DSC module
Old 06-01-2019, 09:24 PM   #137
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Yes, I have sold my E46 out year ago, but this does not mean that I will not help with this project.
As I remember I mentioned here that CAS should be coded with NCS expert in order to not push start button twice after ignition ON, to engage the starter. The sequence is next: putting key fob into key slot, it will release ACC, if you will press the brake and start button after this, the car will start. But, in case of passive go: one push will release ACC even brake pedal remains depressed, second push will release ignition and start the car. Unfortunately this is a limitation of absent DSC module
Glad you could clarify. When I read it, I thought you were saying passivego would sometimes not even work at all. In reality, that's a very mild inconvenience and makes me more excited. I realized I need some pigtails before I start, now that I'm actively getting things together. I also ordered an E9x door handle. I'll do my part and post photos of the inside of that and hopefully shine some light.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:15 PM   #138
YoitsTmac

Hey blink, on post ~43, you realized you didn't need to merge the key fobs and could integrate the KGM with the E46 GM. Can we have that pinout? I don't see it.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:00 AM   #139
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Also solder 20 centimeter wire on the contact of the windshield antenna
Can you elaborate this? So there's an antenna on the windshield and we need to solder it to which?
Old 06-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #140
blink977

Quote:
Hey blink, on post ~43, you realized you didn't need to merge the key fobs and could integrate the KGM with the E46 GM. Can we have that pinout? I don't see it.
Yes it is possible, I don't have pinout right now, I will figure it out again and post