What would you guys do? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-13-2019, 12:06 PM   #1
ogmikeg

My Ride: 2002 325i-3 Sport wa
Year: 2002
Model: 325i-3
Transmission: 6 speed
What would you guys do?

Looking for advice on what other forum members think the best route to go is....

Issue is my touring has two doors from different cars on and now I need to figure out the best way to rectify my colors:
(I think I will wait out a passenger fender in titanium silver as I think I can find that sooner than a rear door.)

Option 1
Find someone to paint the rear door and moldings

Option 2
Continue waiting for a door to appear in the color in my area and pick it up. And have someone paint the moldings

Option 3
Someone hear willing to sell me their door and actually ship it to me despite the hassle. And paint the moldings

Which do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	775173

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
ogmikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:15 PM   #2
Ettinger

My Ride: 4 doors, 3 pedals
Option 2 will cost the least. Post ads, check CL for part-out etc. You should keep this on the table.

In the mean time, shop around for quotes on option 1 & post ads for option 3 (probably unrealistic cost). Taking on prep labor will reduce cost by 25% or more.
Ettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
Steve M3

My Ride: E46s
I would go with option one and have it painted. A touring specific door showing up in the perfect color and condition seems rather unlikely. Maybe you could strip the door down to save a few bucks on labor.
Steve M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
reiseman

My Ride: needs a wash
Year: 2004
Model: 330ci, 02 325it
Transmission: 6speed
The picture shows what looks like damage to the rocker cover and rear bumper. If that is the case, then the whole side should be redone. If you can find someone that is willing to spray test panels until a good match is found, then just have the door done. Most of the time a door replacement involves blending into the adjacent panels, so that the eye has a harder time picking up on the color difference. So it can get expensive. It all depends on how you want it to look. If the paint is a tad off, you will notice it every time you look at the car. You might watch the salvage auctions. Might get lucky and get one cheaper than spraying the whole side, never know.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Titan Silber is a popular color for these cars so it's not impossible to find one. It does depend somewhat on the popularity of the tourings in your area, though. I've parted 2 Titan Silber tourings, now. One had good doors, one had rusty doors. Pay attention to the year of the donor. Early cars (2000 ) the handles pull straight out, later cars (2001-up) they pull up at a bit of an angle/arc. I'm not sure if they swap over or not.

What I would do would depend on the overall condition of the paint on the car. If the overall condition is very good your chances are lower of finding a door with very good paint due to the age of these cars. Painting the door you have can be a good option, but choosing the right body shop will make it work out the best. Make sure you take a look at their finished work when you visit. Realistically you're probably looking between $300 and $500 to have it painted. Finding a door with nice paint will likely cost less than that, but may take longer. Try using car-part.com to look for a door within a reasonable driving distance from you.

*Edit: corrected years for handle split via car-part.com. They call the later handle a "swivel" handle. There appear to be quite a few on there in silver for around $200 + or -.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited by yjsaabman; 05-13-2019 at 07:34 PM.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Go all in on the look and take back Harlequin from the Volkswagen crowd. Keep picking up panels of different colors until they're all so mismatched that they match again.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
Go all in on the look and take back Harlequin from the Volkswagen crowd. Keep picking up panels of different colors until they're all so mismatched that they match again.

Has to be patterned right, match side to side, and no two panels of the same color can touch. Btw there are 4 different VW Harlequin combinations based off the main body shell color.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
EthirD

My Ride: '02 325iT, '07 X5
It might be years before you find the correct color in a local junkyard - I'd visit a good bodyshop and get their estimate, then make a savings plan if the cost is too much to swing at the moment. A side benefit of going to a good bodyshop is they can match the current color of the car, which may be slightly different due to UV/sun exposure when compared to the original color code. Even after waiting for a part-out/junkyard panel, you may end up with a slight mismatch on ~20-year-old paint if one car was garaged and the other always in the elements. (This probably wouldn't bother most folks, and a lot of people wouldn't notice, but it's something to think about)

BMW CCA Member #480924
EthirD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:47 AM   #9
ogmikeg

My Ride: 2002 325i-3 Sport wa
Year: 2002
Model: 325i-3
Transmission: 6 speed
I appreciate all of your responses so far!

I never knew about car-part and decided to check them out and sure as **** I found an 04 silver wagon in Charlotte which is less than 3 hours away...

It looks to be in great condition and thatís where Iíll be heading this weekend.

If anybody needs a white rear passenger door let me know haha.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando E46Fanatics
ogmikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Well I totally missed out on this thread but glad to hear you found a silver door close by. Car-Part for the win. I also liked the Harlequin idea btw.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #11
emdubyou

My Ride: E46 2003 Touring m54
You're ride is looking great here, despite "issue" with door.

What parts am I looking at with the rear bar and wheels?

Also are your guards pumped?

Sent from my G3221 using E46Fanatics mobile app
emdubyou is offline   Reply With Quote