DIY E46 Media Centre: MP3, videos, Digital Radio, Digital TV? - Page 52 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Mobile Electronics Forum

Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 69 votes, 4.99 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #1021
BMW 740iL NL

My Ride: 1998 BMW 740iL
Pete, can you explain how and where to install a ground-loop isolator in the audio path? Do you mean in the L+R path where you also suggest to cut traces at the red lines?

Last edited by BMW 740iL NL; 03-11-2016 at 04:55 PM.
BMW 740iL NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #1022
BMW 740iL NL

CDC pin out

Found this on the interwebs
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD-ChangerDiagram.jpg
Views:	3860
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	626512  
Old 03-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #1023
PeteAU

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW 740iL NL View Post
red and white for L&R, 1 white for 24 bits/192KHz goodness and 2 black wires: 2x ground?
Pinout diagram:
PeteAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #1024
donis86

My Ride: E38 M62TUB44
Hey,
I'm still trying to figure out how to fix my problem, but I can not do it if I don't understand how things work I'm not very good in electronics and English is not my native language so please be patient with me . I bought pibus while ago, used it together with Rpi 2 and digi+ (because my car has DSP). I used directions provided by Pibus.info site and everything worked with some minor glitches. I used only for few hours and took it out since I knew that my car will not be in use for few months. Now few days ago I tried to put it back but there was no video signal (black screen). No problems with audio, hdmi or trrs cable (bought together with pibus). I checked all conections, trrs cable and replaced TV module. Now here few options I have in mind:
1. To cut TRRS cable and connect video signal directly to 13 and 14 pins in tv module
2. To use HDMI cable, cut it and connect video signal directly to 13 and 14 pins in tv module
Should it work? And than I'm left with 17 pin and I'm not sure what I suppose to do with it. Another thing I don't get how audio signal travels. Is it Rpi--->Pibus--->digi+--->CAR audio or Rpi----> digi+--->CAR?
donis86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:07 AM   #1025
WazKid

My Ride: E83
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAU View Post
The Pi3 has changed its serial ports, so it's not compatible for now. Problems: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...38223&start=25

A Pi2 with USB bluetooth will be better.
Okay, tnx, will go for that then. Any suggestions for bluetooth dongle and integration with the Pibus4 setup? Seems like there are a few adapters not working with the Raspberry Pi 2

Also, I was looking for an "CDC extention wire" so I can connect the cables in the armrest of the X3 and lead them to the trunk so that I can mount the Pibus there and connect it to the tvtuner. Any suggetions? Will be needing aprox. 3m cable with female and male 3 and 6pin connectors.

Found this (https://www.ecstuning.com/ES200589/). Would be perfect if the length was ideal from armrest to trunk and if it had female connectors instead of the joined.
WazKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 07:35 PM   #1026
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by WazKid View Post
Okay, tnx, will go for that then. Any suggestions for bluetooth dongle and integration with the Pibus4 setup? Seems like there are a few adapters not working with the Raspberry Pi 2
Maybe the Pi3 is fine to use now, but the built-in BT is probably not going to be usable. I'll let somebody else suggest a USB dongle.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:04 PM   #1027
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by donis86 View Post
Hey,
I'm still trying to figure out how to fix my problem, but I can not do it if I don't understand how things work I'm not very good in electronics and English is not my native language so please be patient with me . I bought pibus while ago, used it together with Rpi 2 and digi+ (because my car has DSP). I used directions provided by Pibus.info site and everything worked with some minor glitches. I used only for few hours and took it out since I knew that my car will not be in use for few months. Now few days ago I tried to put it back but there was no video signal (black screen). No problems with audio, hdmi or trrs cable (bought together with pibus). I checked all conections, trrs cable and replaced TV module. Now here few options I have in mind:
1. To cut TRRS cable and connect video signal directly to 13 and 14 pins in tv module
2. To use HDMI cable, cut it and connect video signal directly to 13 and 14 pins in tv module
Should it work? And than I'm left with 17 pin and I'm not sure what I suppose to do with it. Another thing I don't get how audio signal travels. Is it Rpi--->Pibus--->digi+--->CAR audio or Rpi----> digi+--->CAR?
It worked before, and now it stopped? I guess that sounds like hardware, maybe a loose wire.

You cannot use HDMI, it's a totally different video standard.
Could you connect the TRRS output (from Pi) to a television to test it? You can see where the video comes out:
(PiBus doesn't use the Left/right in the TRRS cable, it's only for video and ground).

Do you have early tv module (around 1998-1999) that has a quirk where you have to enter the Television menu, before the camera input (Pibus uses camera input) will work?

In your setup, the sound goes Rpi----> digi+--->CAR only. Pibus is not involved.

Last edited by PeteAU; 03-13-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #1028
timanrebel

My Ride: E83 X3
Now everything is working, including audio (had to switch iPod with CDC cable in the back of the radio), I've started work on further adapting the skin to make as much as possible readable on the small screen. I started with the great work from @spudooli and added the topbar and bottombar. I want to make the sidebar readable this week, so I can use it in the car as well. Are there any more requests?

The modified skin can be found on: https://github.com/timanrebel/skin.mimic Just download the zip. I will clean up the repo a bit, because I see that OSMC has added some fonts and will post new updates there as soon as I have finished them

Is someone interested in a installer script to run the pibus on OSMC instead of OpenElec btw? I can create it based on my changes.
timanrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 AM   #1029
BMW 740iL NL

Quote:
Originally Posted by timanrebel View Post
Is someone interested in a installer script to run the pibus on OSMC instead of OpenElec btw? I can create it based on my changes.
I am interested. Can you give us your pros & cons for the OSMC install vs OpenElec?
Old 03-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #1030
timanrebel

Quote:
I am interested. Can you give us your pros & cons for the OSMC install vs OpenElec?
The main reason for me to choose OSMC is that OSMC is a full Linux distribution running Debian. OpenElec is stripped down to be a very solid and fast mediacenter, but I wanted to add tethering via an iPhone, sync my media library with my NAS at home via an OpenVPN connection, etc.

The con of OSMC is that it is a fully working Linux distribution It is easier to brake if you don't know what you are doing. They offer automatic updates, just like OpenElec, so that is not an issue. I think the choice between OSMC and OpenElec should depend on whether you want to do more than just run Kodi on the Raspberry Pi.

Last edited by timanrebel; 03-14-2016 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 AM   #1031
miikew

My Ride: X3 E83
Quote:
im also interested

Last edited by miikew; 03-15-2016 at 04:51 AM.
miikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:59 AM   #1032
donis86

Can anyone tell me model/part number for these little things on Pibus board (sorry for the picture quality)? Q1,Q2 (WJV 3n) and D3,D4 (5C J). I can not find it on google.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 AM   #1033
donis86

Quote:
It worked before, and now it stopped? I guess that sounds like hardware, maybe a loose wire.

You cannot use HDMI, it's a totally different video standard.
Could you connect the TRRS output (from Pi) to a television to test it? You can see where the video comes out:
(PiBus doesn't use the Left/right in the TRRS cable, it's only for video and ground).

Do you have early tv module (around 1998-1999) that has a quirk where you have to enter the Television menu, before the camera input (Pibus uses camera input) will work?

In your setup, the sound goes Rpi----> digi+--->CAR only. Pibus is not involved.
I will test with TV if I find right cable. Not sure about TV module but I tryied playing with television menu and that made no difference, plus it worked before and I tryed different TV module. Now I'm wondering if I somehow put power/ibus cable into TV/video socket and damaged the board.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:47 PM   #1034
harmzs

My Ride: 2003 330ci Clubsport
Quote:
red and white for L&R, 1 white for 24 bits/192KHz goodness and 2 black wires: 2x ground?
I guess the extra wires aren't the solution - I believe I've got 3 wires in mine (been a while since I looked so I could be way off).

Really can't figure it out, the Pibus v1 I initially had worked perfectly with no noise. I may try and dig it out if I can find it and see if that's still the case. Would hopefully let me know if it's an issue with the Pi/Pibus or if it's still the car being a pain in the backside
harmzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:24 AM   #1035
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by donis86 View Post
I will test with TV if I find right cable. Not sure about TV module but I tryied playing with television menu and that made no difference, plus it worked before and I tryed different TV module. Now I'm wondering if I somehow put power/ibus cable into TV/video socket and damaged the board.
If you put the power cable into the 3-pin TV MOD plug by accident, I guess you sent +12V into the Pi's composite video. Maybe that's what burnt out, rather than parts on the pibus board.
It's probably best to test the Pi alone with a TV. You can hold the TRRS cable to a RCA cable and get a crude connection.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:02 AM   #1036
miikew

My Ride: X3 E83
i did it last month, after that composite stop working, after removing few components smd from rpi2 (capacitors, diode etc) rpi2 works normally except composite output, i just bought another one.
miikew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM   #1037
PeteAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmzs View Post
I guess the extra wires aren't the solution - I believe I've got 3 wires in mine (been a while since I looked so I could be way off).

Really can't figure it out, the Pibus v1 I initially had worked perfectly with no noise. I may try and dig it out if I can find it and see if that's still the case. Would hopefully let me know if it's an issue with the Pi/Pibus or if it's still the car being a pain in the backside
About the mod on the previous page: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...3&page=51#1017

Do you reckon you could try something like that, is it within your soldering experience? If I sent you the parts, or show you where to get them off ebay (they cost virtually nothing)?

I looked at the schematic of the Pi's internal audio (used by PiBUS2), compared to PIBUS4 and it's really similar, except these two missing caps. My car doesn't exhibit the loop unfortunately, so somebody else needs to check it. I don't know if it's your answer, maybe 50/50 chance.

* PiBUS4 is basically the same as this, but without C48, C34.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #1038
timanrebel

I updated the fork of the Mimic skin to version 3 of the original Mimic skin and redid most of the work that was done before: https://github.com/timanrebel/skin.mimic

I liked having a bottom bar showing the now playing when selecting other songs, instead of the top right as it is now. Maybe I will change it back in the future

Last edited by timanrebel; 03-16-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #1039
WazKid

My Ride: E83
Quote:
I liked having a bottom bar showing the now playing when selecting other songs, instead of the top right as it is now. Maybe I will change it back in the future
Nice!

I'm looking for a metal case which fits both Raspberry Pi 2 B and the Pibus4. Does anyone have a suggestion? What have you guys got?
WazKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 02:52 AM   #1040
donis86

Quote:
If you put the power cable into the 3-pin TV MOD plug by accident, I guess you sent +12V into the Pi's composite video. Maybe that's what burnt out, rather than parts on the pibus board.
It's probably best to test the Pi alone with a TV. You can hold the TRRS cable to a RCA cable and get a crude connection.
You were right! My Pi's composite video is not working.Thank you for help. Before I buy new Pi can you confirm that using HDMI--->RCA'----> TRRS cable conversion will not solve my problem? If so should I stick with Pi2 or should I get Pi3 (I saw that some guys on this forum is working on Pi3 to work with pibus).