Semi-Slick Tires For Daily Driver - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Tire & Wheel Forum

Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Forum sponsored by: Discount Tire

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2019, 02:27 PM   #1
DDtropical

My Ride: BMW
Year: 2002
Model: 330i
Transmission: Auto
Semi-Slick Tires For Daily Driver

I plan on taking my car to the track a lot, but it's also my daily. I was thinking to run toyo ra1, as I have read they handle well in rain and have a long life. Would you guys recommend them, or something else?
DDtropical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #2
BIC_BAWS

My Ride: '02 330ci
How experienced are you? I would recommend a 200TW tire like the RE71Rs or what I'm running, the Hankook RS4s.

I heard Advan came out with a new tire though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BIC_BAWS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #3
DDtropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
How experienced are you? I would recommend a 200TW tire like the RE71Rs or what I'm running, the Hankook RS4s.

I heard Advan came out with a new tire though.

I've never been on a track, but I've been told my driving is good and I would be great on the track. Most I've done is race a bit on a windy road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2019, 04:14 PM   #4
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 98 M-Z3, 01 325iT
I think it's a bad idea. As someone who has raced and done a reasonable amount of instructing, if you're looking for a good tire for the road and the track, get a good street tire. HPDE is not racing, so you don't need super sticky tires.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:40 PM   #5
BIC_BAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDtropical View Post
I've never been on a track, but I've been told my driving is good and I would be great on the track. Most I've done is race a bit on a windy road.
If you've never been on a track, you really shouldn't be running semi-slicks/ r-compounds. You need to learn the breaking point on the track - not the street. R compounds won't help you learn as effectively.

R compounds or competition tires should never be used on the street.

You should stick with a street tire. What street tires have you had before?

Old 09-10-2019, 05:17 PM   #6
DDtropical

Quote:
If you've never been on a track, you really shouldn't be running semi-slicks/ r-compounds. You need to learn the breaking point on the track - not the street. R compounds won't help you learn as effectively.

You should stick with a street tire. What street tires have you had before?

I have used pilot super sports, and am currently using all season pilot sport a/s 3+. That's all

Last edited by DDtropical; 09-10-2019 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:03 PM   #7
BIC_BAWS

Quote:
I have used pilot super sports, and am currently using all season pilot sport a/s 3+. That's all
If you don't have enough front camber, it'll chew up the shoulders of the PSS.

PS A/S 3+ isn't terrible, but it won't last. I would recommend doing one track track day on it to see where you're at with it, and then upgrading to a 200tw Extreme Performance Summer Tire.

These would be the Hankook RS4s (more durable than the rest, good grip range, won't have as much grip as RE71Rs, but it won't drop off in grip like the RE71Rs), RE71Rs, Direzza ZIII, others you can find on Tire Rack.

A medium between PS A/S 3+ and the Extremes would be the PSS or the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.

And then R-compounds would be more aggressive than the Extremes. Examples are the Toyo R888R, Federal RS-RR, Advan AD08R. I wouldn't recommend R compounds until you get some seat time. R compounds also are terrible on treadwear.

Keep in mind that while you might think that a tire is ****, it might be just that you're overdriving your car.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM   #8
MBCO

My Ride: AW|NB 330i
Quote:
If you don't have enough front camber, it'll chew up the shoulders of the PSS.

PS A/S 3+ isn't terrible, but it won't last. I would recommend doing one track track day on it to see where you're at with it, and then upgrading to a 200tw Extreme Performance Summer Tire.

These would be the Hankook RS4s (more durable than the rest, good grip range, won't have as much grip as RE71Rs, but it won't drop off in grip like the RE71Rs), RE71Rs, Direzza ZIII, others you can find on Tire Rack.

A medium between PS A/S 3+ and the Extremes would be the PSS or the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s.

And then R-compounds would be more aggressive than the Extremes. Examples are the Toyo R888R, Federal RS-RR, Advan AD08R. I wouldn't recommend R compounds until you get some seat time. R compounds also are terrible on treadwear.

Keep in mind that while you might think that a tire is ****, it might be just that you're overdriving your car.

All of this.

Stick with a 300+ TW Summer tire to learn your capabilities and car control. Until you have hours of track time and a suspension setup suitable to really squeeze out the benefits of a 200 TW tire then don't waist your time, money and energy.

by
, on Flickr
IG:
MBCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #9
Geo31
Ironman

Quote:
Based upon what? By definition they are DOT legal.

I wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons, but I would never say never.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #10
BIC_BAWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Based upon what? By definition they are DOT legal.

I wouldn't do it for a variety of reasons, but I would never say never.
If it rains randomly and often, I wouldn't run it. I wouldn't run it because I know it'll give the person behind me rock chips. I wouldn't run it, because the tire takes time to warm up and during that period it wouldn't be effectively used on the street (ie. Emergency braking).

I was trying to give OP a definitive answer.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #11
DDtropical

Quote:
If it rains randomly and often, I wouldn't run it. I wouldn't run it because I know it'll give the person behind me rock chips. I wouldn't run it, because the tire takes time to warm up and during that period it wouldn't be effectively used on the street (ie. Emergency braking).

I was trying to give OP a definitive answer.

It does rain randomly where I am, but not regularly. Should I still run summer tires, or HP all-seasons?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #12
BIC_BAWS

Quote:
It does rain randomly where I am, but not regularly. Should I still run summer tires, or HP all-seasons?
Depends on for how long it rains and how heavy. I live in Vancouver, BC, like Florida, it rains heavily at random. Unlike Florida, it usually rains for a number of days before breaking sky again. I wouldn't want to run R-Comps (Toyo R888R for example) in the those types of rain. Probably would hydroplane.

However my Hankook RS4s do great in the rain.

Summer tires are fine.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
Geo31
Ironman

Hell, I've raced on hard slicks in the rain!

Actually, your advice is good. I'm kind odd. I like the rain. My best race came in the rain.

I've run low tread tires in the rain and other than huge amounts of standing water, they have been OK. When I went to racing school 30 years ago this year, we were on shaved Yoko A008s, even in the rain. You're right about the tire temps too. My best race was in the rain at 40F. I used full tread, fairly pedestrian street tires. Most everyone else was on full treaded R comps. I started dead last in a field of 20 (no Q time) and passed have the field, finishing 10th overall and on the podium in class. The R comps just couldn't get up to temperature. My road tires had plenty of grip.

I wouldn't say never to R comps, but for someone with little to no experience with them, you're right, that could be a mess.