Biggest MS43 tuning thread ever! Incl software... - Page 362 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 30 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #7221
thecos

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet_m View Post
Hello Guys, I was able to flash a virginezed 512kb file and realigned the ews with the dme. So far everything works amazing. Thank you for your hard work and you helpful guidelines. Now I am ready to strart tunning so on my question - Can I flash the launch control file through the 64k file. I noticed that in the definition files the launch control files are 512k and the are with ews delete. Is there a 512k without ews delete with launch control and the rest of the goodies?
You are working with the older file set. Got to https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43 and start over with the files from there. Pick the virgin 512k file for your engine and then patch it with TunerPro for whatever you need.

Last edited by thecos; 06-26-2019 at 10:38 AM.
thecos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:13 AM   #7222
Masterchief83

My Ride: 2003 E46 325i Sedan
Year: 2003
Model: E46 325i Sedan
Transmission: MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by donBogi View Post
Itís going to stick at 80, so itís fine. Blue302 with tons of overlap at midrange I have much better power response, feels very good! Thanks for bringing that in!
I was not ready changing the settings drastically, but now Iím more confident thanks to you!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
I Tested it today, in the morning was first run over German autobahn.(at around 20 degrees celsius).
It felt really nice, pretty torqy in lower rpm and stable up to around 4k.
Couldn't rev to the end due to traffic, but tested that on the parking lot of the company i work for. Well i left it rolling in 2nd at around 1.5k then took what he gave, it was nice felt also not less or more than my previous mess, just at the end of the lot i was just hitting 5k, it suddenly started to pull even stronger. I am not sure if i was above 5k because i had to look where i was driving and keep the car under control while i threw an anchor to stop and avoid hitting anything.(Its a dead end). Then on my way back at around 30 degrees it was the same nice powerful and torqy feeling, despite the autobahn had some sections where less traffic was i tried to reproduce the sudden kick from the morning, but id did not come.
Next thing i noticed, i could not feel the mentioned torque loss above 5.4k rpm. Maybe because my DISA is open instead of closed at the end.

Great work
Masterchief83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:56 PM   #7223
loliipop1337

My Ride: Bmw E46 320CI
Year: 2002
Transmission: Manual
Can someone clarify the vanos settings? Ive been reading that retarding means exhaust going -80 -> -105 and intake going 120 -> 80, also read the reverse that redarding means exhaust -105 -> -80 and intake 80 -> 120. What is correct? its starting to annoy me, would like to know so I might can take some inspiration when going freeflow exhaust now.
loliipop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 AM   #7224
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Masterchief83 i did some logs during afternoon without ac and it was killing me
Anyway I put on some more (or less due to the b30 Cam) overlap at the end of rev range and the power is good. I donít quite understand how it is possible to run this amount of overlap atm.

lollipop, advancing the intake means you decrease the numeric value (for example from 120 to 110), advancing the exhaust is same ( for example -80 to -105). They both decrease. When you increase values you retard from 110 to 120 and -105 to -80, as examples

The picture I posted before tells everything you need to know

donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #7225
10le

My Ride: e46 325Ci
Model: E46
Quote:
Anyway I put on some more (or less due to the b30 Cam) overlap at the end of rev range and the power is good. I donít quite understand how it is possible to run this amount of overlap atm.

lollipop, advancing the intake means you decrease the numeric value (for example from 120 to 110), advancing the exhaust is same ( for example -80 to -105). They both decrease. When you increase values you retard from 110 to 120 and -105 to -80, as examples

Thank you. For this picture I'm searching since days!!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
10le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM   #7226
Blu302

My Ride: '98 E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionreptyle View Post
you will bennefit from more puff under 2k mark by maximising intake retard and exhaust advance, and after 4.5k by retarding intake to max asap and (if you are on stock exhaust) advancing exhaust back to -102~103 stock value.

you can keep your fuel and do changes to higher load only + full load maps.
i think BMW offer a pretty big safe margin setting limiters to ~6.4k ,limit yours to 6k to be extra safe and benefit from power that peak @5.9k.
if you have compression down low,overlap on middle and retard on top (free flow ex) you can continue with improvements.
I started with your ideas and they don't work. That is why I am where I am. With a stock exhaust, max overlap is needed to get any scavenging as there is no tuned flow only reversion.

Power is knowledge, So share the knowledge!!
Blu302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:54 AM   #7227
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Guys dont forget every m54 is different , so people's settings will be always different. You take 2 identical set up and i can say for sure with same tune on them 1 will run better than other. Thats what I always encounter tuning my friends cars. 3 of them have identical set up and all 3 tunes are different. have no clue why but it is what it is . Also everyones butt dyno measures differently(some have more seat grip than others)
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:02 AM   #7228
Masterchief83

Quote:

Regarding what Racing teams do(they optimise so far that the flow of air and fuel connects to a kind of stable and unslowed stream through the engine. i'd say, that engine entered Race mode

I'm flashed how that engine runs, especially the long rpm-bandwith where it delivers torque.

I added a degree more ignition and 0.100ms of fuel this morning, it felt nearly same(hey its just a degree), but i think the pickup and torque built up when transitioning from rolling to pulling is better, if i do that around 4k and step on it fast, it acts kind of brutal, there is no delay between pedal work and torque delivery, i think it comes even harder or stronger, but regarding that this is felt by my personal Butt-Sensor it might not be stronger, just feels as it would be because it comes hard and at the time the pedal is pushed.

Maybe there's more, i'm not sure if i cleared adaptions after unplugging lambda sensors behind the cats (it's set up on 1, so if they're plugged they'll be used, if not it doesn't learn), i read that this should be done with Inpa, but how about the less computerized way? disconnect battery or reset via ("secret")menu of the dash.
Does anyone know?
Old 06-27-2019, 12:03 PM   #7229
ultraviolet_m

My Ride: E46 330 CI
Year: 2004
Transmission: 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecos View Post
You are working with the older file set. Got to https://www.ms4x.net/index.php?title=Siemens_MS43 and start over with the files from there. Pick the virgin 512k file for your engine and then patch it with TunerPro for whatever you need.
Understood, is this the virginized file?

Siemens_MS43_MS430069_E46_M54B30_EU2_LHD.bin

on the ms42 the cvrginized files are noted, on the ms43 nowhere says virginized. Also is the software version 0069 a poblem for flashing the 64K file with tuner pro? I recall reading that only same version 512 and 64K files can be flashed or otherwise I can brick the DME

Nothing left of the original m54b25
ultraviolet_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #7230
loliipop1337

My Ride: Bmw E46 320CI
Transmission: Manual
Thank you soo much donBogi, now I can finally understand what you are talking about when setting up vanos
loliipop1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #7231
cwarel

Im still trying to blow up my friends b25 , so far 6 degrees advance on timing and a little tune with vanos , thats exactly what we experienced, it feels a lot more responsive , definitely got more torque. Also I adjusted DISA on b25 just to see , on part load and full load , on both maps I turned off disa and step earlier , and there was a major improvement for sure. ( specs: m54b25, headers ,sap delete ,stock intake , stock motor thats smoking a lot ) Once b30 gets delivered we gonna send it to 7500rpm or more for final rip, knock maps untouched , on logger it shows desired ignition with no knock , so im sorta confused why it dont want to blow up.

Last edited by cwarel; 06-27-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:13 PM   #7232
donBogi

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchief83 View Post

Maybe there's more, i'm not sure if i cleared adaptions after unplugging lambda sensors behind the cats (it's set up on 1, so if they're plugged they'll be used, if not it doesn't learn), i read that this should be done with Inpa, but how about the less computerized way? disconnect battery or reset via ("secret")menu of the dash.

Does anyone know?

No no other way... I have a data display from Alexander (atm not in) which can reset adaptions. Lovely!

And oh Boy... lots of power hidden in Blues tune! Great base for further Ąimprovementsď (for me)

Do you run the standard intake cam or the b30?

donBogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #7233
Blu302

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarel View Post
Guys dont forget every m54 is different , so people's settings will be always different. You take 2 identical set up and i can say for sure with same tune on them 1 will run better than other. Thats what I always encounter tuning my friends cars. 3 of them have identical set up and all 3 tunes are different. have no clue why but it is what it is . Also everyones butt dyno measures differently(some have more seat grip than others)

One thing I have noticed is that the MS45 reports the real vanos values when logging, not the "learned" values. I am seeing this showing up at idle as 113.5 instead of 112.125 as I have programmed.

I have noticed that as little as 1.5 on the exhaust makes a real difference up top.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 AM   #7234
Blu302

Quote:
No no other way... I have a data display from Alexander (atm not in) which can reset adaptions. Lovely!

And oh Boy... lots of power hidden in Blues tune! Great base for further Ąimprovementsď (for me)

Do you run the standard intake cam or the b30?

Totally stock X3 running MS45 on M54B25

Old 06-29-2019, 07:27 PM   #7235
Kopfspringer

My Ride: BMW e39 Supercharged
Year: 2001
Model: E39
Hi Guys,

I have a strange Problem.
My Adaption is gone. Not working anymore.
Something prevents the dme to go to closed loop Adaption.

Setup:
2 PLX Wideband Controller pre cat
1v Narrowband Output directly connected to ms43 pinout.
I can see readings from Lambda.
Do i have to connect some from the ms43 Pins? For example Set pinXY to ground to get closed loop again.

First I had 1 Wideband controller and connected Narrowband Output directly to ms43. I Just cuttet cable from pin14 from x60002 connector and welded narrowband output from controller to it.

Now I added also a wideband controller for second Lambdasensor. Connected the same way.

Maybe someone can help me.

See Picture for INPA Readings of failure patrol Adaption
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190630_005248_1561854450795.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	778619  
Kopfspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:05 AM   #7236
Blu302

I bet there are fault codes with the sensors. The DME has turned them off because of faults like heater circuit.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #7237
Kopfspringer

My Ride: BMW e39 Supercharged
Year: 2001
Model: E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu302 View Post
I bet there are fault codes with the sensors. The DME has turned them off because of faults like heater circuit.
I swear, no errorcodes... I suppressed the DTC's for cat heating . Is it enough? Or has the lamda heater be disabled somewhere?
Kopfspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 07:18 AM   #7238
Blu302

Daniel_f will know if suppressing DTC's only stops them from showing and not generating the fault internally to be used by fault routines.

Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #7239
cwarel

Vanos mechanical fault anyone can point me to the right direction I used vanos tool and I did it like 3 times and same result
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190701_122311_1561998543723.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	778743  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #7240
Masterchief83

Quote:

Hey did you drive with AC on,too?
I Had it that way these hot days and, well it was like "are you kidding me" it felt like chewing gum drive mode, less power and less reaction speed.
Turned AC off and it went as usual.
Someone an idea why that happens?
Maybe ignition adaption for AC ? (Anyone know which table(s) that is(are)?)