PZary's 01 330ci HPDE/TT build possibly turning into a SpecE46 - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
PZary3233

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 330LS View Post
Pzary, what offset did you run for those Apex?
42mm offset works well with a 10-12mm spacer up front.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:41 AM   #22
PZary3233

Well, it's been a quick minute... Our April event at MIR was canceled due to storms over the weekend. IT was a GOOD call by the NASA Mid South guys. Safety should always be #1.

At NCM one thing that I didn't notice at the time (Since I was learning a new track) was that the car was understeering terribly with the new suspension and alignment. I went to the Track Night in April along with the Miata boys and Pat in his GTi. We were trying to shake down some issues on my car as well as Pat's new setup. I found right off the bat that my car handled like total poo but still ran a personal best around MIR in the heat. 2:19.xx That was an easy lap and held those consistently throughout the evening.

Pat following me in his GTi check out the old 6 series behind us!

However, I found the car to be really tight and pushing a lot in places where turn in should have been super crisp. I changed the shock settings and that helped get me back where I needed to be. The car was better. Not great, but better. I was able to keep up with a stock-ish e46 M3 on good tires around MIR and had a good time doing it. I could get a really good run through grants tomb and stick with him on the straight and then was on his tail from the carousel though to the 90's. He would put some distance from the 90's to Grants Tomb where I am down 100hp. If I had his HP he would have been in my mirror. The passing rules for the SCCA TNiA events make it so I couldn't ever get around him. Basically, HPDE2 passing rules passing in straights with a point by...

Oh yeah, this came in the mail!!!

I'm legit!

After the TNiA the next event for me was not until the weekend of May 26th - 28th down at Nola Motorsports Park. 6 hour drive down there without issue. the Miata boys and I decided that we should get at least a half day of the testing day in on Friday so that we could learn the course. That was THE BEST $150 I have ever spent! We got three sessions and were able to learn the track. I only ran a 2:06 and knew that was about 7 seconds off the pace for TT5. I had a LOT of time to make up!

Friday evening I made some ride height changes and made some more shock adjustments. NOLA is a super nice facility, but the major braking zones are BUMPY! I guess that's what you get for building a racetrack on a swamp. After spending enough time at the track we headed to the GoKart track and had a blast.

Saturday brought about cooler weather, we talked the Miata boys into running TT5 so we had 6 entries. Brandon from our region in his S2000 was the one to beat, he has some good aero and a lot of time in his car. It flat out works. The warm-up session was good the car felt WAY better. Brandon ran a 2:00.922 to my 2:3.942. I was happy with that improvement. That put me solidly in 2nd place and right where I needed to be for the next session. The Next Session was about the same, Brandon ran a 2:00.847 to my 2:3.271, ok gaining confidence! He then DNF'ed the next session... But the tires were falling off for the day with the track heating up. I made some tire pressure changes and found that the car was even better on the last session of the day. The temp was up but I was pretty sure I found 3 seconds. We finished the day out with some dinner and I got my first TT award for 2nd place for my first TT event!

Sunday I took a gamble and didn't get any fuel before the first session. We went out Brandon was grided just in front of me. So we got to play for two laps. I ran a 2:01.467 which was JUST not good enough to beat Brandon's 1:59.280. I started running out of fuel on my 2:01 lap and knew I could do better... Alas, I had to get fuel. I've got some in car video of that lap here:

Check out the photos Shawn got of our buddy Werner's S54 swapped 330ci! He built the widebody out of Carbon Fiber in his own garage!

The rest of the day the tires and track just got warmer so we decided to skip the last session and head home. We were starting to over drive the cars and we still had a 6 hour ride back to Memphis. only one small mishap on the way back tire decided it didn't want to hold on any longer... 15 minutes later back on the road northbound and down.

Overall the NOLA weekend was AMAZING! The track is very technical and can make you much faster if you know where to look for speed. It is also really bumpy where one wouldn't want it to be bumpy. However, you start to sack up and not even notice it. There is talk of another NASA Nola and NASA MidSouth event in October, I hope it happens I want to go!

The goal for the July event, LESS WEIGHT MORE POWER!

Last edited by PZary3233; 06-04-2019 at 11:43 AM.
PZary3233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM   #23
PZary3233

In the quest to lower the weight of the car, I stripped the passenger side door last night to see what it would save. The results are STAGGERING! I still have sound deadening material, wiring harness, and crash bar, as well as the full door sheet metal. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!

Combined with the rear quarter windows and motors this is a weight savings of 70lbs! I may add a little weight with some hard motorsports door panels but we will see... The glass alone came in at 12lbs!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #24
PZary3233

So with working on the car more to improve some weight I also wanted to add some usability. The stock trunk open button never has worked I've always had to use a key... I took note of Bill Griffin's latch release and copied it.

Super easy and I have less than $5 in it! No more hunting for the key when I need to get in the trunk!

The other thing I did was reuse the stock interior door handles. They don't weigh anything so I made a template and slid it in and Voila! It works!

Originally I was going to put it higher up but decided against it for now.

Currently, I am working on keeping the windows UP with the doors gutted for storage and travel.

I am also about to pull the dash to remove the HVAC completely and then swapping to e36 manifolds and 3" exhaust. Less weight and more power! Still looking at tune options...

Last edited by PZary3233; 06-12-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2019, 03:25 PM   #25
PZary3233

Another bit of progress on the e46!

A friend of mine and I went in together on some scales so that we can dial in our weights and get the cars where they need to be for TT5.

I got a good weight on the car for the first time in a while. I was surprised to see I had lost 200# from the last time I weighed the car. I'll need to work on cross weights a bit, a few turns on the RF should get that a little better. Shooting for 2950 with driver for TT5.

Then comes the balancing act of less weight, more power, or aero... I'm thinking of weight over the other two BUT... Any ideas?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:12 PM   #26
Strebor

My Ride: 2002 330i
The current TT5 national champ runs in my region in a 330i ZHP. He runs 245 A7 Hoosiers and full aero. His dyno sheet looks like a normal E46 with bolt-ons should. So if you want to follow that formula I say prioritize: 1) Tires! 2) The easy power (exhaust), 3) Aero 4) Weight reduction to max our your P/W. This is the expensive way to go fast, but it clearly works.

I'm ultimately going down this path too, as budget and time allow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Strebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #27
PZary3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strebor View Post
The current TT5 national champ runs in my region in a 330i ZHP. He runs 245 A7 Hoosiers and full aero. His dyno sheet looks like a normal E46 with bolt-ons should. So if you want to follow that formula I say prioritize: 1) Tires! 2) The easy power (exhaust), 3) Aero 4) Weight reduction to max our your P/W. This is the expensive way to go fast, but it clearly works.

I'm ultimately going down this path too, as budget and time allow.
Unless I am mistaken A7s are out of the question... R7s are fair game!

I think that ultimately that is the way I am going to go. I'll need to go find this car and take a look see... Because much more than 200hp leaves not a whole lot of room for Aero and Weight Reduction.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #28
Strebor

My Ride: 2002 330i
You're right, A7 isn't allowed in TT5. R7 is the one.

Digging around in the NASA Compliance Database can be enlightening. He claims only 190 average HP and 2900 lb. Interestingly, the power was 208 last year...

Strebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
PZary3233

Quote:

Digging around in the NASA Compliance Database can be enlightening. He claims only 190 average HP and 2900 lb. Interestingly, the power was 208 last year...
Mine dynoed 200hp/200ft-lbs with an average of 196hp stock down to the air filter through cats.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #30
PZary3233

Quote:

I looked at his TT sheet, what is interesting is that there is no mention of using spherical or adjustable control arms. He also has a ZHP car but his Dyno tests were in Colorado. There are a few hits that he didn't take that I do take...
Old 08-09-2019, 12:17 PM   #31
PZary3233

Well, a lot has happened since the last post. The last weekend of July we had our Winter in July event at MIR. Great day of racing and I always enjoy watching the Aussie Pursuit on Sunday.

Friday night a good friend and I went through the instructor clinic and then Saturday morning we received our first HPDE students! My weekend was wholly consumed working with my student. The car didn't mind I checked tire pressures and went up a click on the front rebound. My buddy and I also did a bunch of in-car scenarios on different student types in the HPDE3/4 sessions, it was a GREAT TIME! The car was flawless all weekend ran well in the heat and the only thing lacking was tires getting greasy by the end of the session. I think Saturday I was out in 8 sessions in my car and 6 on Sunday due to exercises, Time Trials, and working with my student.

Saturday's TT sessions were fun! Brandon ran fastest and I was about a second behind him, Pat was just on my tail in his GTI. We did a lot of work on the GTI and was excited to see how it will do. With some more figuring, I think we will have a really good car. My car did well, I'm on really old NT-01s and plan to make the switch to Toyo RR's for September. I have learned that I am overdriving the car. Driving way too fast into corners and slowing my exit speed way down because I am scrubbing speed instead of building speed through the corners. This coming week on the 13th there is an SCCA Track NIght I am going to see if I can make it and hone some skills. I feel there are at least two seconds in just driving style. That would put me into 1st. Sunday I was slow, Pat ran a 1:17.9 to my 1:18.03 and took 2nd from me. No excuses I overdrove and was tired.

All in all, we had an awesome weekend and had the best Paddock area ever that we share with the Miata boys. Tent City and a Camper with A/C to cool off in and take a leak if needed.

We are trying to build up our TT5 group for 2020 and we are all aiming to run ST5 in 2021. We have about 5 committed to 2020 and 2021!

Last edited by PZary3233; 08-09-2019 at 01:55 PM.