Considering a second gen X5 - advise please! - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-20-2019, 10:16 AM   #1
WilloCO

My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
Considering a second gen X5 - advise please!

My wife murdered her Touareg a bit and wants something with a third row. I'm liking the idea of a second generation X5, which I can pick up with the payoff from her car and a little cash.

My e46 is one of my favorite cars to work on, I'm hoping the experience with the X5 will be similar.

I'm eyeballing X5s with the 4.8, third row seat and preferably something with sport seats (still learning packages) with automatic trans for the wife.
Xdrive is a requirement, we have to have AWD/4wd where we live.

Thoughts, suggestions?
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build

Last edited by WilloCO; 07-20-2019 at 10:17 AM.
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
Effduration

My Ride: '05 330CiC
to each his own, but the only post '06 BMW I would buy is a car under warranty with the possible exception of diesel. The post '06 cars are harder to work on for even the experienced DIY'er. With BMW doing little maintenance during the initial 3 yr ownership (lease) period and the stated goal to goose the cost of service and parts ( I am paraphrasing), the odds are stacked against long-term affordable DIY-ownership.

Further, while they are much better, the quality of US production (Like X5) has often not matched that of the German-made cars. I would also suggest the BMW V8's have also not had the best success.

Since 2nd gen X5's (E70) are, I believe, mostly out of warranty. I would only consider the diesel.
Effduration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #3
WilloCO

Yeah, I was not impressed by a low mile diesel X5 I found. I'm off to look at a 2003 Toyota Sequoia with 130k on it later. So far it looks very clean...

After researching the V8, I decided to avoid them as well. The coolant pipe issue is surprisingly stupid.

Last edited by WilloCO; 08-01-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 02:52 AM   #4
Mario2749

I would buy is a car under warranty with the possible exception of diesel. The post '06 cars are harder to work on for even the experienced DIY'er. With BMW doing little maintenance kodi.link; during the initial 3 yr ownership (lease) period and the stated goal to goose the cost of service and parts ( I am paraphrasing), the odds are stacked against long-term affordable DIY-ownership. _sl_ _sl_

Last edited by Mario2749; 08-13-2019 at 02:54 AM.
Mario2749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:35 AM   #5
WilloCO

I ended up finding a Lexus GX470 for the wife.
The third row seat can fit three (tightly), and it folds up to the sides.
Options are nice, only annoyance is the integrated AC/Nav design makes it a pain to replace.
The 4.7 v8 engine is considered one of the most reliable ever made by Toyota, wear indicators in oil analysis are exceptionally low.
Suspension is basically a 4th gen 4runner, KDSS is an option and it handles nicely in the mountains.
All wheel drive, with transfercase lock, etc.
Maintenance on it will be a timing belt/water pump job soon and I'll refresh the radiator while I'm in there.