Gun ownership v. homicides worldwide - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #61
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
these charts make me lol

It comes across as if they're just evaluating only two dependent variables, homicide rate and gun ownership, and calling it a day.

What constitutes, or rather defines homicide in war torn parts of Africa? Koni anyone? Genocide? What about socio-cultural factors such as good policing, sense of community, cultural values, and so on in the countries with less homicide rates? Are those taken into account?

All this chart does is provide an interesting correlation, but I wouldn't call it truth.

MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #62
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 382
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Stolen from Reddit



If this is accurate it is pretty funny
With such a small rate of homicides in the USA, the argument of needing guns for self protection is basically... shot.
__________________

Last edited by Master Po; 11-15-2013 at 03:33 PM.
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #63
MDydinanM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: East Coast
Posts: 760
My Ride: is a ///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
With such a small rate of homicides in the USA, the argument of needing guns for self protection is basically... shot.


well, so much for JJ
MDydinanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:44 PM   #64
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
on the other hand, so would the argument for gun control...
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #65
mash20
Is not Persian
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Approximately La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 875
My Ride: '01 TiAg M3 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash20 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but based on my own research, it looks like Lyme Disease causes gun violence.....or maybe democrats are more vulnerable to Lyme Disease?


More bad news....looks like high income families tend to catch Lyme Disease

__________________

Last edited by my ass; Yesterday at 11:15 PM.
mash20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #66
Guest100615
Account closed per your request
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 453
The best case against murder by guns is choosing your friends more carefully.
Considering that something like 85 percent of white people care killed by someone they know and like 95 percent of black people are killed by another black person.

Guns are not as dangerous as your social circle.
Guest100615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #67
Act of God
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: In your gf's front hole
Posts: 356
My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
Knees

BTW, I'll start posting threads with unverifiable and vague information and pass it off as fact, if all I have to do is add this:
just got back, good to see you got your ass handed to you from the outset of this thread
__________________
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #68
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,899
My Ride: so turbo wow
This is why every one should be forced to take more statistics courses

I can't believe people actually take this stuff as absolute fact.
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 PM   #69
HiHoBrian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,112
My Ride: 05 M3
Re: For JJ: Gun ownership v. homicides worldwide

I have learned very much from this thread and believe I have unlocked a higher level of education from it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #70
Marshmallow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,121
My Ride: Ehhh...
For JJ: Gun ownership v. homicides worldwide

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1384563758.925983.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	534970
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #71
peytonracer4
:D
 
peytonracer4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Valparaiso, IN
Posts: 7,761
My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover220 View Post
Uhm, and how does this take into consideration guns that are not registered? We have a lot of guns or rifles (not sure if they have lumped these together) in Sweden but they are for hunting or used for sport. We have recently seen an influx of unregistered guns (illegal if you will) from the Balkans that are being used in crimes. So.....
no guns in the us are registered(very very few) so explain that...?
they can generate figures based on sales alone. registration really has nothing to do with anything.
peytonracer4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:18 PM   #72
sea6speed
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 1,449
My Ride: 2010 335i Msport 6MT
For JJ: Gun ownership v. homicides worldwide

So in general when a country gets wealthy enough that people can collect guns, there is less murder. Not surprising.

Factor out the correlation with per capita income, and this could be informative.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
sea6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:57 PM   #73
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,498
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
Violent rapist murderer breaks into your house.

Would you rather be prepared like Busa or JJ?

Go
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 PM   #74
Zell
Registered User
 
Zell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: such united many state
Posts: 5,899
My Ride: so turbo wow
BusJ.

Buy a gun and support the right to bear arms, but refuse to use it out of principle.
__________________
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #75
Xcelratr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: So Cal - 310
Posts: 991
My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
We didn't even have skis to hike that six miles to cap that Eskimo, knamean? We had to walk that whole way on snowshoes because that Eskimo wanted to come step on our turf like he runs the place. He don't run these glaciers. I run these glaciers. You see some eskiho turning tricks rubbing noses behind a igloo, yeah, that's my eskiho, and you better believe I'm making 30% of that action. You hear about some Eskimos selling whale penis leather on the side, yeah, who do think's running that? That's my gig.

Don't try to come here talkin to me about how I don't know how it is growing up on the tundra. Shiiit Eskimo. This my tundra. This my glacier. Now get off my frozen wasteland before I spear yo' ass.


You can't use Eskimo. That's our term. Only Eskimahs can call other Eskimahs "Eskimah".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Po View Post
With such a small rate of homicides in the USA, the argument of needing guns for self protection is basically... shot.
With such a small rate of polio infections in the USA, the argument of needing a polio immunization is basically ... shot.

__________________
----------------------------------------------
Quote:
We will not tolerate intolerance.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #76
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian
 
JonJon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: One of the most evil states ever to exist
Posts: 3,498
My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
ITT. I learned Xcelratr is an Eskimo
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #77
Marshmallow
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Joisey, Mid MI
Posts: 2,121
My Ride: Ehhh...
Marshmallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 06:01 AM   #78
HiHoBrian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,112
My Ride: 05 M3
Re: For JJ: Gun ownership v. homicides worldwide

None of these charts take the Obamacare Effect into concideration. This program works so well in the US that most every person enrolled in Obamacare has medical coverage so efficient that a simple gunshot wound rarely ends with death. Thereby significantly reducing the 'murder rate'.So obviously the answer is more Obamacare and gun control for everyone!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
HiHoBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #79
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 382
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
on the other hand, so would the argument for gun control...
No.
One death by accidental shooting (and you can't argue that doesn't happen) is one death too many.
Gun control doesn't rely solely on homicide rates.
I don't want to see anyone I know to be a victim of a stray bullet.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:09 AM   #80
Master Po
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 382
My Ride: E46 no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
With such a small rate of polio infections in the USA, the argument of needing a polio immunization is basically ... shot.

Your argument is utterly naive. A strawman argument at best.
Polio immunization IS the reason why polio infections are rare and at bay.
You can't make the argument that proliferation of guns is the cause of homicide rates being low.
In fact, the map shows a lot of countries (almost the entire Asia, for example) where both gun ownership AND homicide rates are low.

I expected more from you. I am disappoint.
__________________
Master Po is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.