Post ten days, my on going gun ownership story... - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #61
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
You've never seen anyone conceal carry with a light? Don't give me that facepalm crap... I'm not going to assume anything, let him tell us what he wants and then offer suggestions from there.
I've never seen a pistol with light concealed in the waistband of the pants. Perhaps a shoulder rig. I couldn't imagine a more uncomfortable way to carry a pistol.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 AM   #62
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Don't go with a leg rig, that's straight mall ninja crap. Get a good belt and kydex option. Raven concealment is a great choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
x1000

I would also like to add that I applaud you for asking questions and getting feedback from people that have used some of this gear prior to making your purchases.

ETA: However I say this, it's going to sound mean. Stop looking on Amazon for holsters and "tactical" gear. Most quality gear will not be found there.
Leg rigs have a very specific niche, and within that they serve their purpose well. Safariland and BladeTech are the only two companies that make quality drop leg holsters with sufficient retention. Unless you plan to be wearing heavy body armor, drop-leg holsters don't work that well. They hinder movement.

While they do have a legitimate purpose, it's a niche and for the most part the use now is pretty mall ninja, like they^^ pointed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Since I am planning to have this holster for more dynamic stuff I imagine a leg mount would be best or on a tactical belt of some sort. Again I just like the functionality of having both options and would spend a bit more for that as opposed to limiting myself in that respect.

Thanks for the recommendation checking out those other sites now, we'll see what route I go.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3LF0V4/...I17HOWWTFPKLLO

came across this from amazon looks like it might fit a wml.
As stated above, don't buy stuff from Amazon; at least without doing your homework on the product. The price of the product should tell you what you need to know. That holster you are looking at is $20-something. Most of my holsters cost me over $70, and a couple were ~$150. That should tell you about how cheap of quality you would be looking at. A cheap holster will not work well from the start, and it will quickly fail.

With a lot of gun and "tactical" stuff, you get what you pay for. Food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxtrot_Uniform View Post
I've never seen a pistol with light concealed in the waistband of the pants. Perhaps a shoulder rig. I couldn't imagine a more uncomfortable way to carry a pistol.
You'd be surprised... it all depends on the holster and how you have it attached and oriented.
I would skip a shoulder rig if I were you. It's not a very secure way to carry a pistol. I have two shoulder rigs I don't use anymore. I only used them for driving a desk at work. It was actually very comfortable to have when I was on light duty for a month working the front desk taking walk-in calls, but short of that, you run into retention issues. If you have to run, the holster will flop around unless you use the suspender strap attachments.

Carrying strong side along the waistline from 1:00 - 5:00 is generally the best way to carry concealed or open, IMO.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

http://www.learningfirearms.com/schedule.html
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #63
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
I actually saw the first one on a random gun Forum, when I did a search amazon was the only place I could find it for sale. I linked it so you guys could come back with a more reasonable option while giving the forum an idea of what I was looking for. But yes you definite get what you pay for in life learned that lesson a few times haha.
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:55 PM   #64
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
You'd be surprised... it all depends on the holster and how you have it attached and oriented.
I would skip a shoulder rig if I were you. It's not a very secure way to carry a pistol. I have two shoulder rigs I don't use anymore. I only used them for driving a desk at work. It was actually very comfortable to have when I was on light duty for a month working the front desk taking walk-in calls, but short of that, you run into retention issues. If you have to run, the holster will flop around unless you use the suspender strap attachments.

Carrying strong side along the waistline from 1:00 - 5:00 is generally the best way to carry concealed or open, IMO.
I have two Galco Miami Classic rigs that I wear. One for my Glock 19 and one for my Taurus PT92. I love the fit and feel, expecially after they are broken in. I use them when I am hiking on my property and by the river. Never had an issue with retention but they do slam into elbows every now and then. But under a coat in winter they are money!
Old 08-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #65
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M/NB2
Quote:
I have two Galco Miami Classic rigs that I wear. One for my Glock 19 and one for my Taurus PT92. I love the fit and feel, expecially after they are broken in. I use them when I am hiking on my property and by the river. Never had an issue with retention but they do slam into elbows every now and then. But under a coat in winter they are money!

I love my galco rig
Old 08-06-2015, 07:02 PM   #66
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M/NB2
Quote:
Leg rigs have a very specific niche, and within that they serve their purpose well. Safariland and BladeTech are the only two companies that make quality drop leg holsters with sufficient retention. Unless you plan to be wearing heavy body armor, drop-leg holsters don't work that well. They hinder movement.

While they do have a legitimate purpose, it's a niche and for the most part the use now is pretty mall ninja, like they^^ pointed out.

As stated above, don't buy stuff from Amazon; at least without doing your homework on the product. The price of the product should tell you what you need to know. That holster you are looking at is $20-something. Most of my holsters cost me over $70, and a couple were ~$150. That should tell you about how cheap of quality you would be looking at. A cheap holster will not work well from the start, and it will quickly fail.

With a lot of gun and "tactical" stuff, you get what you pay for. Food for thought.

Even in body armor, I preferred a chest draw to any leg holster. I hated every one I tried.

Overseas I had chest draw on my IBA and a galco shoulder rig for walking around the FOB.
Old 08-07-2015, 01:00 AM   #67
mcr_driver

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB2-LIGHT.html

After reviewing some of the options you all recommended I am feeling this one the most. Couple of questions however and google tends to provide more opinions then fact

When they say low and high or high ride height where does that correspond on the body, waist or belly button height I imagine? When they refer to guard do they mean the covering for the holster against your body so your firearm doesn't snag on anything? Was also concerned if I decide to use it without the WML, will it move around a lot in the holster or should it be okay since it is molded, I guess feedback from anyone who has it would shed some light. Lastly when looking at the Belt loops I imagine it'd be better to go with the 1.5" for more belt options but just covering my bases...I can shop for suits easier then this

Last edited by mcr_driver; 08-07-2015 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #68
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Low or high usually is in relation to the belt it's attached to.

I like it to ride low, so for me, just the grip is above my belt. If you like it higher, more of the gun will be above your belt.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:34 AM   #69
Ghostie

My Ride: What else?
Quote:
You should do a bit more research, plenty of options out there for this

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/OWB2-LIGHT.html

After reviewing some of the options you all recommended I am feeling this one the most. Couple of questions however and google tends to provide more opinions then fact

When they say low and high or high ride height where does that correspond on the body, waist or belly button height I imagine? When they refer to guard do they mean the covering for the holster against your body so your firearm doesn't snag on anything? Was also concerned if I decide to use it without the WML, will it move around a lot in the holster or should it be okay since it is molded, I guess feedback from anyone who has it would shed some light. Lastly when looking at the Belt loops I imagine it'd be better to go with the 1.5" for more belt options but just covering my bases...I can shop for suits easier then this

I have two Raven Phantom Holsters for the same gun, one with Light and the other without. I've tried using the Light holster without my WML and it just never felt secure.

Unless JMCustom has engineered some way to do this, I would guess the answer is no.

1.5" belt loops for me
Ghostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 04:00 PM   #70
Reedo302

High Ride conceals better as the attachment point of the holster situates the holster higher up on the belt.
Low Ride tends to be more comfortable and does less to restrict movement.
It comes down to preference. For duty and tactical stuff, I prefer a very low ride setup. For OWB concealed carry, I like a higher ride that prevents the holster from protruding below a jacket or overshirt.
There is no industry standard for what constitutes "high ride" and "low ride". It's company specific. Ride height is also affected by the type of holster (duty vs OWB vs IWB, etc).

Cant is an option on that holster. Do not get any cant on the holster unless you plan on carrying the holster at the 4:00 position or further back to the 5:00. If you carry it anywhere from 2:00-3:30, forward cant actually inhibits smooth drawing.

Molded kydex holsters generally work by friction fit. The amount of retention depends on how "tight" the mold is. Sometimes you'll have additional tensioning screws, but for the most part it's all friction fit which is basically the first level of retention. It has no active/mechanic retention, and instead has passive retention. You will get maximum retention when the WML is attached, but it will still retain a pistol without WML. It just may have a little extra movement. My Raven Concealment Phantom is for WML, and when I carry a pistol without WML, it still holds but I certainly wouldn't try to do any Ameri-Do-Te training with it.

As for the belt loops, find a couple good belts that you will use and measure them. Base your belt loop decision off the belts. Ultimately, the belt has to fit the pants, and must security hold a holster. Get quality belts, make sure they fit your pants and then adjust accordingly. Wider belts are better and more secure, so keep that in mind.

The thing about holsters is that they are rarely one-size-fits-all. Most of us here have a half dozen or more holsters so that we can match the gun and setup to the way we want to carry and the clothes we plan on wearing. If you want an EDC holster, my suggestion would be to get a holster for just the pistol first, and then determine from there whether you really need a light-bearing setup. If the primary purpose is tactical employment for training or whatnot, then a light-bearing holster is more feasible for the first purchase.

Just my $0.02, which is worth exactly that.

Learning Firearms

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-08-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:50 AM   #71
mcr_driver

Thanks for the input Reedo, I will probably get the WML first then get a non WML down the line. This is primarily a home defense/ learning firearm for me as I am new to this world despite having been around firearms in one way or another growing up.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #72
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
High Ride conceals better as the attachment point of the holster situates the holster higher up on the belt.
Low Ride tends to be more comfortable and does less to restrict movement.
It comes down to preference. For duty and tactical stuff, I prefer a very low ride setup. For OWB concealed carry, I like a higher ride that prevents the holster from protruding below a jacket or overshirt.
There is no industry standard for what constitutes "high ride" and "low ride". It's company specific. Ride height is also affected by the type of holster (duty vs OWB vs IWB, etc).

Cant is an option on that holster. Do not get any cant on the holster unless you plan on carrying the holster at the 4:00 position or further back to the 5:00. If you carry it anywhere from 2:00-3:30, forward cant actually inhibits smooth drawing.

Molded kydex holsters generally work by friction fit. The amount of retention depends on how "tight" the mold is. Sometimes you'll have additional tensioning screws, but for the most part it's all friction fit which is basically the first level of retention. It has no active/mechanic retention, and instead has passive retention. You will get maximum retention when the WML is attached, but it will still retain a pistol without WML. It just may have a little extra movement. My Raven Concealment Phantom is for WML, and when I carry a pistol without WML, it still holds but I certainly wouldn't try to do any Ameri-Do-Te training with it.

As for the belt loops, find a couple good belts that you will use and measure them. Base your belt loop decision off the belts. Ultimately, the belt has to fit the pants, and must security hold a holster. Get quality belts, make sure they fit your pants and then adjust accordingly. Wider belts are better and more secure, so keep that in mind.

The thing about holsters is that they are rarely one-size-fits-all. Most of us here have a half dozen or more holsters so that we can match the gun and setup to the way we want to carry and the clothes we plan on wearing. If you want an EDC holster, my suggestion would be to get a holster for just the pistol first, and then determine from there whether you really need a light-bearing setup. If the primary purpose is tactical employment for training or whatnot, then a light-bearing holster is more feasible for the first purchase.

Just my $0.02, which is worth exactly that.
so true. I have a big ass box for all my holsters. Kydex holsters, leather holsters, IWB, OWB, then the mag pouches, etc etc.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 01:01 AM   #73
mcr_driver

Posting some pics from my first trip to range I actually mixed my shooting with my girls but I tried to keep decent groupings while working on having a smooth trigger control. I do have a ways to go to get the grouping tighter though. I also noticed a lot of "goodness" after I was done firing 80 rounds of american eagle 115gr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150807_214900.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	609112   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150807_211552.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	609113   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150807_220334.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	609114  
Old 08-10-2015, 03:52 PM   #74
Reedo302

Next time you shoot with your light on, put a light coating of WD-40 on the lens before you shoot. A light film of chapstick also works. It allows the carbon to wipe right off and provides a protective barrier between the carbon and lens. If you get carbon directly on the lens and wipe it right off, it will start to scratch and etch the lens. Over time, you will start seeing damage to the lens. If the carbon gets on the lens and you don't have any barrier on there, emulsify it first with a non-corrosive carbon solvent. Don't use the corrosive solvents like Hoppe's No.9 or others.

I know a couple guys with older WMLs who have made these mistakes and their lenses look pretty ugly. It degrades the strength of the lens and reduces light output. Just a random tip.

Learning Firearms

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-10-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:22 AM   #75
mcr_driver

Thanks I sprayed some windex on a kleenex and patted it afterwards but I will keep that in mind.

What's your take on Fiocchi versus American eagle ammo? There's a better deal on some at turner's and I was thinking of picking some up as I have some more fun days planned down the line.

Also any shooting tips or perhaps a link to a good youtube video to show good posture etc? Not just for me but also for my girl who was really all over the place shooting when we went.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:01 PM   #76
Reedo302

American Eagle is always pretty good stuff, but Fiocchi is actually a pretty solid brand as well. I've used Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 12ga for the better part of a decade for pheasant hunting (I now use Kent FastLead), Fiocchi .223 varmint loads for target and varmint hunting, and various loads for target and it's all been good quality stuff.

For YouTube, just type in something like "pistol shooting fundamentals" or "basic pistol shooting", etc. The thing is that there are a couple different major ways to hold and shoot the gun, but there are a ton of ways to run the gun and operate it with reloads, malfunction clearance, etc. The other problem is that grip modification is sometimes necessary for shooters. By that I mean that shooters will need to alter the way they grip their gun with their own subtle nuances to make up for various shortcomings like small hands, lack of grip strength, lack of upper body/shoulder control, trigger finger pull asymetry, excessive strength issues that cause over-compensation (big problem of mine), sight alignment discrepancies, etc. You can get the basic grip and stance down, but then you have to have someone actively monitoring you to assess your progress and trouble-shoot your discrepancies.

This goes at all levels, because in all honesty, you can only go so far and get so good before you need to start getting outside assessment and diagnostics. It wasn't until a pistol course I took in 2012 that I learned what I was doing wrong and what I needed to change to start getting more consistent accuracy.

The best thing you can do is find someone who knows what they're doing and have them shoot with you. When I say "knows what they're doing", I seriously mean that they need to have a solid grasp on their abilities and be able to prove it. The problem with training is that it's a double-edged sword. Good training can make you a good shooter, but bad training can give you "training scars" that you will struggle to get rid of down the line. A lot of military shooters fall into thic category, and I see a lot of training scars that need to be unlearned for both carbine and pistol use.

Learning Firearms

Old 08-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #77
mcr_driver

Thanks, I'll give fiocchi a try.

As for the gun advice I actually signed us for up for a self defense class. I think that will give us both some fundamentals that I may not know about and or need. It should be fun and educational for us both. As for good and bad training I've experienced that with autocross actually so I definitely can understand that but the class comes well reviewed so I have hopes for a positive experience.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:35 PM   #78
Reedo302

That's a great start. I always encourage people to start with some kind of formal training to get a good base/start.
The purpose of training is that it doesn't permanently make you a better shooter; it gives you the skills to properly train on your own and get better over time properly.

Learning Firearms

Old 08-11-2015, 06:37 PM   #79
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
That's a great start. I always encourage people to start with some kind of formal training to get a good base/start.
The purpose of training is that it doesn't permanently make you a better shooter; it gives you the skills to properly train on your own and get better over time properly.
+1 with setting a good base.

It's like taking up golf. Much better to take a month of lessons than just start hacking at the ball and trying to correct yourself.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:41 AM   #80
mcr_driver

Update: I've been modding...I was surprised how easy and straight forward everything broken down...The slide did provide some difficulty but youtube to the rescue for that one

All in all really glad with my purchase this gun has been very forgiving and accommodating as i delve deeper in to this. Not really too much more to do though outside of something like truglo fiber optic sights.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_155249.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	610366   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150821_160027.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	610367   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150822_124516.jpg
Views:	92