IS there anyone near Irvine who can help me bleed my e46 post coolant overhaul? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #1
DOB2009

My Ride: 325i
IS there anyone near Irvine who can help me bleed my e46 post coolant overhaul?

I haven't been able to drive since Feb due to collant / expansion tank problems. I finally was able to replace most hoses, expansion tank, and bracket, 2 weeks ago. 2x replacing the coolant. 2 weeks later the car is still parked because I'm not able to bleed it properly and it contiously over heats. I don't have a jack to follow most DIY and even when I posted questions about bleeding I'm getting conflicting info / answers, and DIY. I already blew the upper hose last month and expansion tank this month.

I really don't want to blow something again from air in the lines and I haven't been able to drive more than 2 miles without it overheating. I would take it to a shop but this has already cost me so much $. Just the expansion tank bracket was nearly $100 to try and get shipped by the 6th and I'm still not able to drive with everything installed.

I can be free any day if anyone local can help me do this. Today I tried to let it idle after releasing some fluid from bleed screw (revving to 3k RPM for 20 seconds) as one member suggested. But after letting it idle for about 15 minutes it was back in the red zone. I think it may be low again from fluid leaking from the bleed screw, but I won't be able to mess with it again until it cools off (likely tomorrow).

Any help is greatly appreciated! You can txt/email anytime if you can lend a hand, thank you!

-Dave 714.653.4464 [email protected]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOB2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol iono how you haven't fixed this. there must be something else wrong in the coolant system if you can't drain and refill the system. it doesn't take much at all. I hit you up every time I'm back in town, but you haven't replied so I figured you fixed it

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:

sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #3
Mregel

I too had a similar issue. I was drive ng and it blew the expansion tank. I changed the tank .
I changed the thermostat and that fixed my problem for about two months
The car would run good for twenty minutes and like clockwork overheat. Going down if I drove it.
I changed the upper and lower rad hoses and the lower temp sensor and still overheated after twenty minutes.
I changed the water pump and the heater hoses going to the block as well as the other temp sensor going to the head.
Still overheated after 20.
So a new mechanical fan and same problem
Then the mechanical fan delete and a new aftermarket electric fan as the auxiliary fan was not coming on all the time.
Well another expansion tank blew and I changed it and the car is slightly better but overheats to 3/4 after about 20 minutes.
Should I change the new fan into an auxiliary fan by changing the housing and put the mechanical fan back in ? I am at my ends Witt on this.
It is a convertible and hardly ever drove in the winter and I was thinking about removing the inside of the thermostat as maybe the new one is acting up but why after 20 minutes.
Mregel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #4
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregel View Post
I too had a similar issue. I was drive ng and it blew the expansion tank. I changed the tank .
I changed the thermostat and that fixed my problem for about two months
The car would run good for twenty minutes and like clockwork overheat. Going down if I drove it.
I changed the upper and lower rad hoses and the lower temp sensor and still overheated after twenty minutes.
I changed the water pump and the heater hoses going to the block as well as the other temp sensor going to the head.
Still overheated after 20.
So a new mechanical fan and same problem
Then the mechanical fan delete and a new aftermarket electric fan as the auxiliary fan was not coming on all the time.
Well another expansion tank blew and I changed it and the car is slightly better but overheats to 3/4 after about 20 minutes.
Should I change the new fan into an auxiliary fan by changing the housing and put the mechanical fan back in ? I am at my ends Witt on this.
It is a convertible and hardly ever drove in the winter and I was thinking about removing the inside of the thermostat as maybe the new one is acting up but why after 20 minutes.
Well usually when you overheat only when idling, you have a flow problem. Either not enough airflow which it sounds like you tried fixing, or a coolant flow problem. You check your belts? It might not be turning the water pump. When you replaced your mechanical fan, did you replace the fan clutch? You could have air bubbles in your coolant as well.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:

sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:58 PM   #5
Mregel

I put a new mechanical clutch in and the belts are good.
I put the auxiliary fan back in and wired it direct to run content and I still have the electric fan also.
Like clockwork it heated after about 20 minutes.
It seems like the thermostat is being told to close after twenty minutes somehow.
I am going to try the mechanical fan again with the auxiliary fan running content and see if it does the same thing. If that doesn't work I am going to try and take the thermostat out and cut it out to see if it is the problem instead of ordering a new one right away. .
Mregel is offline   Reply With Quote