The boss Mike Larry back into shape thread - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
alright sollyd, reporting back after i did your second workout today.

firstly, i had to modify the workout mainly because there's no way i could do a full minute of hang cleans til exhaustion; it would've been pointless for me. instead, i supersetted a set of cleans until exhaustion (10 reps the first set, 7 reps every set afterward) with a 10-rep set of the swings using the exact weights you specified (115lb cleans, 35lb swings). i did 6 sets. i can't lie; i took about a minute break after each superset because i was just too beat. it was tough, but definitely not as tough as your cleans/burpees routine.

couple problems i've been facing:
1. i tried rolling the bar to my finger tips like you suggested for the cleans. my elbows still point down. i have no idea how to fix this.
2. i have absolutely no endurance, which is what's holding me back the most. i have the strength to do the exercises, but i feel like my heart is about to explode to the point that i have to take too many breaks. because of this, i'm out of breath and sweating like a pig, but there's no specific muscle that's truly tired the way you would feel from lifting heavy.
3. i don't think i'm doing the swings right. what do you do at the top of the swing? i'm under the impression that i physically stop the dumbell/kettlebell from swinging too high by literally "catching" it and pushing it back down when the dumbell/kettlebell reaches the height of your chest.
4. my lower back was killing me while doing the swings. i'm assuming this is an indication that i'm doing something wrong.
you just need to work on wrist flexibility. Just focus on getting the elbows up as much as you can. With time it will get better.

For the swings it's just that, a swing. Did you bring it above you hear or to like shoulder level? just youtube some videos to help with that.

Next workout.
115lb front squats
burpees

start with 10 squats 1 burpee, 9 2, 8 3, 7 4...all the way to 1 squat 10 burpees.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #22
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
you just need to work on wrist flexibility. Just focus on getting the elbows up as much as you can. With time it will get better.

For the swings it's just that, a swing. Did you bring it above you hear or to like shoulder level? just youtube some videos to help with that.

Next workout.
115lb front squats
burpees

start with 10 squats 1 burpee, 9 2, 8 3, 7 4...all the way to 1 squat 10 burpees.
i swung them up, but i noticed in the youtube videos i watched earlier this week that they didn't swing it up above their heads. thus, i aimed to swing it up towards my shoulder level in order to emulate the videos i watched. is this correct? also, what exactly are you working out through the swinging motion? it's hard for me to tell since i'm so out of breath and miserable overall

your next exercise i'll try to fit in on sunday. why front squats as opposed to regular squats? i tried to learn how to do front squats a couple years ago and i gave up on them (wasnt able to balance the bar on my shoulders). i'm willing to give them another shot though
Old 06-09-2012, 01:37 AM   #23
DylloS

Quote:
i swung them up, but i noticed in the youtube videos i watched earlier this week that they didn't swing it up above their heads. thus, i aimed to swing it up towards my shoulder level in order to emulate the videos i watched. is this correct? also, what exactly are you working out through the swinging motion? it's hard for me to tell since i'm so out of breath and miserable overall

your next exercise i'll try to fit in on sunday. why front squats as opposed to regular squats? i tried to learn how to do front squats a couple years ago and i gave up on them (wasnt able to balance the bar on my shoulders). i'm willing to give them another shot though
american swings are up high where the kb is above your head. Russian is just out in fronts. They work you shoulers, traps, back core.

Front squats just because I guess. They're more universal since you'll see them in a lot of clean movements and stuff.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #24
Mike Larry

Quote:
american swings are up high where the kb is above your head. Russian is just out in fronts. They work you shoulers, traps, back core.

Front squats just because I guess. They're more universal since you'll see them in a lot of clean movements and stuff.
sollyd you make me regret making this thread so much. i wish i'd never known the misery that is burpees. i incorporated your front squat/burpees routine into my leg workout today, but with some pvssy modifications because i'm not as diesel as you.

first, i lowered the weight of the front squats down to 85 lb. i tried one rep at 115 and i knew immediately that there was no way i could do a full set of 10 at that weight. also i had to take breaks between each "set" of squats/burpees. for the first 5 sets, i only rested for about :30, but after that it got real bad. i had to stop for a full minute, then 1:30, then probably a full 2 or 3 min because i felt like i was about to have a brain aneurysm and die.

anyways, i've been finding that setting a number to do really helps me push myself. usually, i just come into the gym and do enough reps until i'm moderately tired and pretty much leave it at that. there's no real "finish line." with your workouts, i'm working towards completing the entire thing, which pushes me to finish no matter how miserable i am.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #25
DylloS

That's awesome man. In glad you like/hate them lol. I think when I did this at 115lbs I did it in about 13 minutes. It was definitely really tough. I might actually do this one tomorrow. Not sure though.

I like amrap workouts too. It stands for as many reps as possible in a given time period.

If you want another good workout do
21-15-9 of 75lb thrusters and 53lb kb swings or whatever you have.

For this you do it as fast as possible, while keeping good form, and you do 21 thrusters 21 swings 15 thrusters 15 swings 9 thrusters 9 swings. I finished that one in 6:53. It absolutely kicked my ass. Give it a try soon and let me know if you need specific body part movements for a particular day. I have a lot of fun making these workouts up.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM   #26
Mike Larry

Quote:
That's awesome man. In glad you like/hate them lol. I think when I did this at 115lbs I did it in about 13 minutes. It was definitely really tough. I might actually do this one tomorrow. Not sure though.

I like amrap workouts too. It stands for as many reps as possible in a given time period.

For this you do it as fast as possible, while keeping good form, and you do 21 thrusters 21 swings 15 thrusters 15 swings 9 thrusters 9 swings. I finished that one in 6:53. It absolutely kicked my ass. Give it a try soon and let me know if you need specific body part movements for a particular day. I have a lot of fun making these workouts up.
i just looked up thrusters; looks rough. i'll see if i can fit it in for the first half of this week and report back
Old 06-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #27
Mike Larry

Quote:

i did the thusters/swings workout, but i used a 30 lb dumbell instead of 50 lb kettlebell. there's no way i couldve swung a 50 lb kettlebell 21 times lol. the whole thing took me about 8 or 9 min.

with the thrusters, i'll admit i did it with poor form. my legs were still sore from sunday's leg workout and i probably shouldve waited another day or two. i wasn't able to get down into an actual squat with each rep; my legs were at about a 130 degree angle for much of the exercise. the swings were killing my quads too.

it wasn't as rough as i thought it would be, but i think it was mainly because i did it with such poor form. once again, i found that lack of endurance held me back more than lack of strength; i'm just not used to being out of breath while lifting weights. i'm going to try it again when my legs aren't sore.

also, i found out that my gym actually does have kettlebells as i was leaving the gym today. they put it away in some room away from the rest of the weights for some reason. i'm going to start making use of them.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 06-13-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #28
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
I alternate upperbody lower body on days, 5 days a week, switch every week. So 3 days UB 2 days LB, next week flip it.

UB:
-Dumb bell shoulder/military press - bench all the way up, sitting up, press up.
--5 sets - 10reps/set - pyramid weights
-Shrugs
--3 sets - 10reps/set - single weight
-Bench press
-Low row
-Tricept Extensions
-Oblique Curls
--non stop 20 per hand, 15 per hand, 10 per hand
-Light Curls
--low weight (20lbs per hand) 3 sets of 20 reps per hand (40 reps per set total)
-Shoulder extensions
--low weight (20lbs per hand) put weights in front of thighs, go out (forward) to shoulder height, then out toward your sides and then back down
-- 3 sets-20 reps/set
-Pushups
--3 sets- 20 reps/set

LB:
-deadlift
--5 sets - 10reps/set pyramid weight
-bosu ball free standing squats
--5 sets - 10reps/set
-bosu ball free standing calf extensions (balance on one foot and do calf extensions on the ball)
--5 sets - 10reps/set per foot
-inclined press
-inclined squat
-calf raises
--3 sets - 20reps/set

I also add 30 minutes of bike time to the end of each workout regardless of muscle group.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #29
DylloS

Quote:
i did the thusters/swings workout, but i used a 30 lb dumbell instead of 50 lb kettlebell. there's no way i couldve swung a 50 lb kettlebell 21 times lol. the whole thing took me about 8 or 9 min.

with the thrusters, i'll admit i did it with poor form. my legs were still sore from sunday's leg workout and i probably shouldve waited another day or two. i wasn't able to get down into an actual squat with each rep; my legs were at about a 130 degree angle for much of the exercise. the swings were killing my quads too.

it wasn't as rough as i thought it would be, but i think it was mainly because i did it with such poor form. once again, i found that lack of endurance held me back more than lack of strength; i'm just not used to being out of breath while lifting weights. i'm going to try it again when my legs aren't sore.

also, i found out that my gym actually does have kettlebells as i was leaving the gym today. they put it away in some room away from the rest of the weights for some reason. i'm going to start making use of them.
that's not bad man. Just keep going with it. My problem is endurance too a lot of times.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
where are the nudes?
kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #31
Mike Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrk10256 View Post
I alternate upperbody lower body on days, 5 days a week, switch every week. So 3 days UB 2 days LB, next week flip it.

UB:
-Dumb bell shoulder/military press - bench all the way up, sitting up, press up.
-Shrugs
-Bench press
-Low row
-Tricept Extensions
-Oblique Curls
-Light Curls
--low weight (20lbs per hand) 3 sets of 20 reps per hand (40 reps per set total)
-Shoulder extensions
--low weight (20lbs per hand) put weights in front of thighs, go out (forward) to shoulder height, then out toward your sides and then back down
-- 3 sets-20 reps/set
-Pushups
--3 sets- 20 reps/set

LB:
-deadlift
--5 sets - 10reps/set
-bosu ball free standing calf extensions (balance on one foot and do calf extensions on the ball)
-inclined press
-inclined squat
-calf raises
--3 sets - 20reps/set

I also add 30 minutes of bike time to the end of each workout regardless of muscle group.
i skimmed your workout and i'm not sure what some of those things are, so i'll have to look them up. as long as i have time to do so this weekend, i'll give your workout a shot next week.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #32
B_Cyrus
Banned User

My Ride: Malfouf
Mike Larry, post up a pic of you shirtless. I want to see.
B_Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #33
Mike Larry

mvrk; i think i'm gonna try your workout next week. i wanted to give it a go this week, but i've been too busy with schoolwork to put any sort of thought/planning into my lifting sessions.

sollyd: i was wondering if you could give me a quick and dirty summary of what an average weekly split looks like for you. the compound exercises ive always done are presses, deads, and squats. so basically, my chest and shoulder days are mainly rooted in press exercises, supplemented with fly exercises for chest and raises for shoulders. back day is mainly deads/rows/pull downs. leg day is mainly squats. im trying to fit in cleans and the kb raises and i'm not sure how to fit them in.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #34
DylloS

Quote:
mvrk; i think i'm gonna try your workout next week. i wanted to give it a go this week, but i've been too busy with schoolwork to put any sort of thought/planning into my lifting sessions.

sollyd: i was wondering if you could give me a quick and dirty summary of what an average weekly split looks like for you. the compound exercises ive always done are presses, deads, and squats. so basically, my chest and shoulder days are mainly rooted in press exercises, supplemented with fly exercises for chest and raises for shoulders. back day is mainly deads/rows/pull downs. leg day is mainly squats. im trying to fit in cleans and the kb raises and i'm not sure how to fit them in.
My workouts are based around wendler 5/3/1. You can google it but it's a program based around big lifts and a certain percentage of your max.

Monday is Over head press
Tuesday is Deadlift
Wednesday is usually just some conditioning
Thursday is Bench
Friday is Squat.

I don't really have a program other than those main lifts but I try to design my workouts to compliment whatever the main lift is for the day. To the outside world they would appear to be random but I'd say they are more of a planned randomness. I know what I want to get done and I think I know how to get there so I just come up with workouts that will hit multiple muscles hard, get my heart rate up, but taking into consideration the next few days. What I mean by that is if I'm benching tomorrow I wont do any heavy shoulder or chest work the day before. I usually design my workout the day of out of a pool of different workouts and rep schemes.

I vary between multiple round workouts, amraps (as many reps as possible in a given time) 21-15-9 reps etc. There are so many possibilities with these workouts. The trouble I have sometimes is designing them to be doable on paper but sometimes they are just brutal. That can be good and bad.

I also try to hit each body part two times a week with however I program my workouts. Sometimes I hit parts harder than others.

I haven't repeated a workout in about 2 months of doing my own thing either. The best way to see my workouts is to check my log on this site.

Tonight is bench day and my this is my workout:

Bench Press

100 53lb kettlebell swings.
Every time you break you're penalized with 10 ring dips. Rest only 45 seconds between the end of the dips and start of more swings. The goal is to get through the swings in as little sets as possible.

Then rest a few minutes and do

7 minute amrap (as many reps as possible)
6 pull ups
10 GHD Sit ups

So I'm hitting the chest hard which will hit my shoulders and tris too. Then the swings will hit my shoulders, traps, core, lower back, and dips will hit tris, chest, shoulders. After that I'm doing pull ups and sit ups. And everything is at a fast pace. My style of training is much different than most people you will come across. My friend that can probably out lift most people I know came over the other day to do a tire flip burpee workout that started with 10 flips, 1 burpee, 9,2 8,3... all the way to 1flip 10 burpees and he finished over 2 minutes after me. I'm not saying I am in great shape but if you asked the average person who they think would have finished faster they'd pick him. I'm really only about 8-10 weeks into this current style of training but I love it. I never worked this hard and had so much fun.

See if this link works and you can see all my workouts easily over the past 8 months or so

http://www.fitocracy.com/profile/mdoehla

Last edited by DylloS; 06-21-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #35
Mike Larry

Quote:

UB:
-Shrugs
-Bench press
-Low row
-Tricept Extensions
-Oblique Curls
-Light Curls
-Shoulder extensions
-- 3 sets-20 reps/set
-Pushups
--3 sets- 20 reps/set

LB:
-deadlift
--5 sets - 10reps/set
-inclined press
-inclined squat
-calf raises
--3 sets - 20reps/set

wanted to write this up sooner, but i've been insanely busy. i followed your general workout with some modifications (read below) this entire week (3 upper body days; 2 lower body days). i have some thoughts/questions/comments:

1. for the first upper and lower body days, i followed your workout exactly. however, i modified and replaced exercises (but followed the general scheme) for the other days. for example, i replaced the bosu ball squats with back squats for one of the days, replaced deads with stiff-legged deads, etc. i also didnt do the 30 min of cardio after any of the workouts because i'm just too busy with school

2. first question - do you follow the exact routine you listed every day, or do you throw in modifications and improvise the way i did?

3. second question - is there a reason for doing two calf exercises on the lower body days? i felt like there were better things i couldve focused on and replaced the second calf exercise with something else on the second lower body day.

4. third question - what exactly are "inclined press" and inclined squat"? i used the incline leg press machine for "inclined squat" because i think that's what you meant, but just did front squats and hack squats for "inclined press" because i didnt know what they were.

5. overall i got a good workout, but it took some getting used to. i've always been more about focusing on one or two single body parts per day and i definitely felt like i didnt quite work out any single part of my body as hard as i wanted to. however, i was still definitely beat overall at the end of each day. i think i might revise your workout to do legs and back on the same day and shoulder and chest on another day, instead of splitting it into upper body/lower body.

6. also, i'm not sure if the routine you listed also represents the order you do everything in, but i shifted things around to do compound, heavy movements first and left smaller stuff like calves, abs, and arms for the end. i think it's counterproductive to do 5 sets of military press, then waste energy doing shrugs just to move onto the bench press. when i have about 200 pounds floating over my head, i generally want to have as much energy in me as possible lol. i moved the shrugs down after the low rows. i did the same thing for the calf exercise you had listed third on your lower body day.

overall, the past couple weeks have really shown me that i've gotten way too complacent in the gym the past couple years. at some point, when i was just starting out, my workouts were really rough for me. eventually, i got stronger and accustomed to lifting and just started being satisfied with a very moderate level of intensity. i'm going to make it a goal for the rest of the summer to beat the everliving sh1t out of myself every single time i'm in the gym. i'm gonna refuse to leave until i've squeezed out every last bit of energy that i have.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 06-30-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Mike Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #36
SW222
Banned User

My Ride: is silver and slow.
Quote:
i'm going to make it a goal for the rest of the summer to beat the everliving sh1t out of myself every single time i'm in the gym. i'm gonna refuse to leave until i've squeezed out every last bit of energy that i have.
no masturbation in public, bro. Damn you sure as hell know how to word your goals.

Sent from Jack Bauer.
SW222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #37
rohde88

My Ride: S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
where are the nudes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Cyrus View Post
Mike Larry, post up a pic of you shirtless. I want to see.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
1. for ...school
The cardio is important - both as a cooldown and because I am fat. You may not be fat, YMMV.

2. first question - do you follow the exact routine you listed every day, or do you throw in modifications and improvise the way i did?
Ya. Unless i see someone doing something inthe gym that i really want to try I stick to the schedule.

3. second question - is there a reason for doing two calf exercises on the lower body days? i felt like there were better things i couldve focused on and replaced the second calf exercise with something else on the second lower body day.

Well the Bosu ball works on balance, the actual calf raises are for strenth. I used to ignore that all together. however withing a few months of adding these exercises I noticed a significant difference in how my legs felt getting off the bike.

4. third question - what exactly are "inclined press" and inclined squat"? i used the incline leg press machine for "inclined squat" because i think that's what you meant, but just did front squats and hack squats for "inclined press" because i didnt know what they were.

I read the tag on the mahcine hack squat = inclined squat. inclined leg press = inverted leg press. You push up at about a 60* angle.

5. overall i got a good workout, but it took some getting used to. i've always been more about focusing on one or two single body parts per day and i definitely felt like i didnt quite work out any single part of my body as hard as i wanted to. however, i was still definitely beat overall at the end of each day. i think i might revise your workout to do legs and back on the same day and shoulder and chest on another day, instead of splitting it into upper body/lower body.

Everybody is different. I have had several friends come and work with me for longer periods of time, and I have had some pretty good success. One guy went from not being able to do 5 pushups at the end, to being able to match me at speed to 60 withing about 2 months. One of the hardest parts of this workout to effectively communicate is the tempo required. i am not sure how long it takes you to do this, but upper body is 45-50 minutes and lower body is 35-40 minutes when I am on my own. i also drink about 3L of water during.

6. also, i'm not sure if the routine you listed also represents the order you do everything in, but i shifted things around to do compound, heavy movements first and left smaller stuff like calves, abs, and arms for the end. i think it's counterproductive to do 5 sets of military press, then waste energy doing shrugs just to move onto the bench press. when i have about 200 pounds floating over my head, i generally want to have as much energy in me as possible lol. i moved the shrugs down after the low rows. i did the same thing for the calf exercise you had listed third on your lower body day.

I listed things in the order that I do them in. Is it teh best order? I dont have a f*cking clue. But you should be using weights that allow you to be comfortable at any point. So if having 200lbs over your head at the start is ok but not ok near then end, you might want to step it down a bit.

overall, the past couple weeks have really shown me that i've gotten way too complacent in the gym the past couple years. at some point, when i was just starting out, my workouts were really rough for me. eventually, i got stronger and accustomed to lifting and just started being satisfied with a very moderate level of intensity. i'm going to make it a goal for the rest of the summer to beat the everliving sh1t out of myself every single time i'm in the gym. i'm gonna refuse to leave until i've squeezed out every last bit of energy that i have.

I think this is the appropriate mentality - i had to give myself a few minutes afterwards before I was ready to drive the e30. Especially on upper body days.
Good luck.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #39
Mike Larry

Quote:
Good luck.
thanks for the tips dude. i kept the print-out of your workout in my car (i drive to the gym). i'm going to follow your workout for a full week about once a month to change things up
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #40
Mike Larry

sollyd i did the hang clean/burpee routine again. i hate your very existence for introducing me to this misery.