Key Housing Refinish? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
iRide113

My Ride: 2004 M3
Key Housing Refinish?

Hi everyone,

New to the BMW world. Got my first BMW today as a present to myself for my 18th birthday. It's a 2004 e46 325i. Been around cars my whole life (my dad owns ncracing.org), and am pretty capable.

Anyways, with the unnecessary introduction out of the way, I used the search function quite a lot, but couldn't really come up with answer. The car I just bought is in great shape, except the key housing (the black part) looks like crap, It's all scratched up and the BMW logos are faded.

I was trying to find replacements, but since they are a single housing and expensive to get recut, is there any DIY or way to replace or fix them up? I was thinking Plasti Dip, but you would have to be extremely careful to not let it seep within the key housing. Any ideas? Also, is there any where/way to replace the logos on the keys? I searched eBay, but couldn't find any to replace with.

I found this, but seems pretty cheaply priced, thus cheaply made?

Thanks in advanced! Already started modding within having the car for 12 hours!

Last edited by tim330i; 03-27-2013 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1364393515
iRide113 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, key, key case, key chain, key housing