BMW 328i Overheating - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
DonMock

BMW 328i Overheating

Hello Good People's, I have a 328I BMW 2010 and it keeps overheating. I have took it to two shops and they both told me the same thing, that i needed a new fan. So i brought a new fan, and the first one was the wrong one, so brought another one for about 600, hoping that i have the right one. I install the fan, and i still have yet seen it come on. The problem first started when my fan would come on as soon as i started my car this happen for about two weeks, then eventually it just stop working and started overheating. I did some research and found that the problem could have been my water pump and thermostat, so I had them replaced, and still my car overheats while the fan is not engaging. Any ideas, on why my cooling fan is not engaging after the water pump and thermostat, had been replaced would be a major help. Thankyou in advance,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180410-234131_Inbox_1525796895024.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	477.0 KB
ID:	742252  
DonMock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #2
Gary5661

My Ride: 318i
Sorry but not too sure on the 328i im imagining the engine is the same as the e39 528i or similar and its a viscous fan, does the fan bolt to the engine? If its electric then this doesnt apply but if its viscous then the clutch has gone in the hub of the fan and its not engaging as its only spinning slowly at 1 speed can u grab it with your hand when the engine is running
Gary5661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #3
DonMock

Thankyou for replying and I appreciate that, well no my cooling fan does not mount to the engine it mounts to the radiator, since i made this post i have replaced all fuses, that was missing, and still i got nothing, i have done more research and found that connecting a 12v..charge to the wires but i lack equipment at the moment...so basically im back at square one..I have replaced the sensor on the oil housing gasket which is the temperature sensor, that works because i can read my coolant temp inside the car...but for some reason , my fan does no want to kick on...this after i turn on the a/c and heat... still nothing
DonMock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
cscracker

My Ride: 2004 330Xi
While I'm not familiar with that model, on the e46, there's a temperature sensor in the lower radiator hose. This sensor can fail in such a way that the car will never turn the fan on. To test, unplug the sensor. If the fan spins, that's likely the cause.
cscracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:08 AM   #5
slide9595

The Good Ol Kiwi Snakeoil. No fan clutch causes these car to over heat on idle or while driving unless its sitting for hours. Have had 10 + BMW's over the years. It could be (had been) a bad water pump, that there is no circulation and its clogged, real reason these cars go bad is the cooling system not being overhauled. But then being the aluminum blocks that NZ got as is (unlike the euro M52 Iron blocks), once you overheat it enough, its done, probably has a bad HG, which is unlike USA, is far from worthwhile here. Did you check the coolant/water for any oil mixture? I have been duped before so listen, avoid that car unless you are 99% sure. Hey maybe even the guy selling it thinks its the fan clutch, and could be far worse. Can always do a compression test or a leak down. but yea I'd avoid any overheated cars.

Lucky Patcher 9Apps VidMate

Last edited by slide9595; 03-26-2019 at 08:28 AM.
slide9595 is offline   Reply With Quote