Diagnostic inquiry - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
Corrosio

Diagnostic inquiry

I have a car BMW e46 318i 1995 ccm with engine n42 (143 hp) made 2004 / Jaunuary.
When analyzing OBD data with Konnwei KW850 diagnostic computer, I checked the fuel mixture preparation. I need help with one piece of information.
A diagnostic computer displays "datastream", where they are basic informations on fuel preparation. In total, you will see 3 data, 1 informace for "Long term fuel trim",
and 2 informations for "Short term fuel trim" ==> here is an example:
Short term fuel trim - bank 1 === 0.0% (I understand this information)
Long term fuel trim - bank 1 === 3.1% (I understand)
Short tern fuel trim - bank 1 - sensor 2 = == 99.2% (I do not understand).
What does mean Short term fuel trim for Bank 1 - Sensor2 with 99.2%??
Thank you.
Corrosio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:10 PM   #2
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
Maybe since you have a 4 cylinder you only have 1 O2 sensor or it's unsupported

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PA Soft
Driver:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
shanneba

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
The Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the after CAT sensor.

The ECU can use it to adjust the fuel trim.

Rear O2 Sensor Fuel Trim
The rear oxygen sensor, located after the catalyst, is used for fuel trim corrections on some OBD-II vehicles. By virtue of its location,
the rear sensor is generally protected from high temperatures and much of the contamination that affects the front oxygen sensors.
In addition, the rear sensor sees exhaust gases that are equilibrated - they have already been converted by the catalyst so that there
is very little residual oxygen. This allows the rear sensor to respond to much smaller changes in exhaust gas oxygen content.
In turn, it then possible for the rear sensor voltage to remain near the 0.45 volt switchpoint. This characteristic allows the rear sensor to be used for fuel control.

This link will download a Baum Tools Fuel trim document with more info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...1&d=1322673583

Discounts on new and CPO cars.
Most Dealers offer a parts discount

Last edited by shanneba; 01-06-2019 at 06:08 PM.
shanneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2019, 04:33 AM   #4

My Ride: 320i SE Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosio View Post
I have a car BMW e46 318i 1995 ccm with engine n42 (143 hp) made 2004 / Jaunuary.
When analyzing OBD data with Konnwei KW850 diagnostic computer, I checked the fuel mixture preparation. I need help with one piece of information.
A diagnostic computer displays "datastream", where they are basic informations on fuel preparation. In total, you will see 3 data, 1 informace for "Long term fuel trim",
and 2 informations for "Short term fuel trim" ==> here is an example:
Short term fuel trim - bank 1 === 0.0% (I understand this information)
Long term fuel trim - bank 1 === 3.1% (I understand)
Short tern fuel trim - bank 1 - sensor 2 = == 99.2% (I do not understand).
What does mean Short term fuel trim for Bank 1 - Sensor2 with 99.2%??
Thank you.
You only have one Bank. Bank 1. The fuel trims on Bank 1 are ok. Not perfect but not bad either. For "Banks" read "exhaust manifolds". Six cylinder engines have two exhaust manifolds. Bank1 and Bank2. Bank 1 is the first three cylinders and Bank 2 the second three cylinders. You have 4 cylinders and only one exhaust manifold: Bank 1.

Last edited by RayPooley; 01-07-2019 at 04:36 AM.
74123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimmer, bmw, diagnostic, fuel, problem