Need DIY - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Philly 330ci

My Ride: 01 BMW 330ci
Need DIY

Hi,
Is there any DIY for the Front crankshaft seal?
How much is involved or is it better to let the shop do it?

Thanks.
Philly 330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly 330ci View Post
Hi,
Is there any DIY for the Front crankshaft seal?
How much is involved or is it better to let the shop do it?

Thanks.
Should be pretty straight forward. Only thing you might have a hard time doing is meeting the required torque spec of putting the bolt back on I beleive it's a little over 300 ft/lbs I think somewhere like 320 ft/lb.

Other than that, it should go something like this:

1. Remove fan shroud and fan if applicable.
2. Remove Belts
3. Remove Crankshaft Pulley
4. Remove old seal (Be careful not to marr the edges where the seal seats)
5. Put in New Seal

And everything else would be reverse of removal.

JAred

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
Philly 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Should be pretty straight forward. Only thing you might have a hard time doing is meeting the required torque spec of putting the bolt back on I beleive it's a little over 300 ft/lbs I think somewhere like 320 ft/lb.

Other than that, it should go something like this:

1. Remove fan shroud and fan if applicable.
2. Remove Belts
3. Remove Crankshaft Pulley
4. Remove old seal (Be careful not to marr the edges where the seal seats)
5. Put in New Seal

And everything else would be reverse of removal.

JAred

Thanks.
I might try it myself but which one is "crankshaft pulley"???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Philly 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly 330ci View Post
Thanks.
I might try it myself but which one is "crankshaft pulley"???

bump
Old 03-13-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
The one on the bottom of the engine the largest pulley held in by the 22mm bolt.

Jared

Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:37 PM   #6
BMWF18

Make sure you clean the engine surface, and also I beleive this is a dry seal so keep it clean and make sure it sits, and coat the actual sealing side with some oil before installing.

Dry side touches engine
sealing side touches crankshaft
BMWF18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
gwhitten

My Ride: 2000 328i
I know this is an old thread...but did you ever get that bolt off? I used a 850 ft lb impact wrench, and couldn't budge it. I'm assuming it is a left hand thread, but I tried it both ways.
gwhitten is offline   Reply With Quote