Intermittent Issue - Crank but no start - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #1
Junglemusic

My Ride: 2001 330d Sport
Arrow Intermittent Issue - Crank but no start

OK so this has been an intermittent issue on my car for a good while (over a year) but only happens rarely.
I recently had the fuel pump replaced (https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...036&highlight=) and thought this issue may have been linked to that, so was surprised that after the pump replacement I'm still getting this intermittent fault where every now and then the car just won't start. I turn the key, it cranks and crank and sometimes eventually starts. Other times (like today) I had to try 4 or 5 times before it eventually started. Then it'll be fine for days before I have any more issues. Battery seems fine and it's not struggling to crank at all.

Any idea what this could be?
My MOT is due at the end of the month, so I'm going to ask the garage if they can write down any error codes that have been logged since the last garage cleared them all last month when they replaced my fuel pump.
After forking out over 1000 for the fuel pump and a Service, I'm hoping this starting issue is an easy fix.

It's a 2001 E46 330d Sport manual 100k. New fuel pump and recently serviced.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by Junglemusic; 04-29-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Junglemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:38 AM   #2
Richardlance

My Ride: 01 325I sport
is the check engine light actually on? have you recently replaced the fuel filter or plugs? even a leaky valve cover with oil dripping down to the plugs will cause no spark. it sounds like you're not getting spark or fuel to the cylinders.

Last edited by Richardlance; 04-29-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Richardlance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
Junglemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardlance View Post
is the check engine light actually on? have you recently replaced the fuel filter? it sounds like you're not getting spark or fuel to the cylinders.
I assume the fuel filter would have been checked/replaced as part of the recent service.
I'll check the lights tonight but I'm sure I'm just getting the usual lights when you turn the key, nothing strange popping up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Just my two and a half cents worth but it sounds like an ignition switch issue and your ignition switch is wearing out... Whenever you start your vehicle please take note of the dashboard illumination and if you're not seeing all of the usual lights on your dash I would lean towards replacing the ignition switch...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:53 AM   #5
Junglemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
Just my two and a half cents worth but it sounds like an ignition switch issue and your ignition switch is wearing out... Whenever you start your vehicle please take note of the dashboard illumination and if you're not seeing all of the usual lights on your dash I would lean towards replacing the ignition switch...
If it was this ignition switch issue, what would I expect to see in terms of dashboard lights (or lack thereof) ?
Old 04-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
lszlszx

My Ride: Z3, V50, 1.8T
See my No start thread for info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Would the codes indicate if it's the carburator?"
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 12:29 PM   #7
Zchild

@Junglemusic when the vehicle starts take note of the lights on the dashboard and when it doesn't start you should observe less lights illuminated generally check engine light and airbag light.
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #8
Junglemusic

Just done it to me again this afternoon. Cranked, almost started straight away, coughed and died. Then just kept cranking and cranking with no start. Tried 3 or 4 times then finally it started.

I seem to get the same lights no matter if it starts or not. They all come on, then they all go off - as normal (right??). No lights are left on apart from the handbrake stop sign. Will have to see what error codes are being produced when it goes in for an MOT at the end of the month.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #9
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Circuit of the Americas doing laps with my M5 and coming in for a pit stop.
My Ride: 03 330iT SportWagon
Get a code scanner like PA Soft v1.4.0 and look at BMW Codes that may be set. It.might give you a clue.

You still can do some diagnosis by looking at voltage seen at +B terminal at engine compartment.

Also look at petrol levels in each side of your tank using hidden OBC menu.

Over 2 Billion Served !

BMWCaptain
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM   #10
Junglemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zchild View Post
@Junglemusic when the vehicle starts take note of the lights on the dashboard and when it doesn't start you should observe less lights illuminated generally check engine light and airbag light.
It's starting fine at the moment. When cranking, the DSC and the ABS lights come on. They go out as soon as the engine starts.

Not sure if that is normal or not, I've never really paid much attention to them.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
Zchild

If it's the ignition when it starts you will have all of the lights illuminated and when it doesn't there will be one or two lights that aren't illuminated... Again it's only one or two and you have to pay attention. The ignition switch is an fairly simply DIY and isn't very costly to replace even in a shop. Just my teo and a half cents worth...
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
Old 05-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #12
Zchild

Please keep in mind I'm speaking to the lights that illuminate when the key is in position #2, there will be a diiference of lights when it will start and when it won't...
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison

Tags
330d, crank, start, turnover