Just bought my first BMW and itís an M3 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #1
Malolalo95

Just bought my first BMW and itís an M3

So I've never owned a BMW. If actually never owned a sports car either. This is also the very first time get on this sight; so i thought I might as well start my own thread.

Yesterday I just bought a 2002 M3 in Titanium Silver with the SMG. With 85,801 miles on it. Single owner that gave me a file with tons of receipts and service records.

Although I should have, I didn't get the car inspected before purchasing it. I did test drive and didn't hear any weird noises or feel anything wrong besides the loud tire noise which i suspect is because they are completely bald.

I don't have too much cash to throw at this, which i know is another mistake. But I'm not afraid to do some work myself. I do get a discount on parts since i just started working as a client advisor at a BMW dealership. And if need be i get a discount on service labor.

With that being said, anything you guys would record I check or do first? Besides replacing my tires lol.

I'm also open to links to anything you feel i should take a look at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EF58D5F7-CBA3-44FB-90E6-342F0750C396.jpeg
Views:	112
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	779321   Click image for larger version

Name:	F060516E-F0B7-480F-989E-618492B9F177.jpeg
Views:	110
Size:	251.9 KB
ID:	779323  

Last edited by Malolalo95; 07-12-2019 at 03:03 AM.
Malolalo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Have a full inspection done on a lift by a competent shop. A dealer is not a good place for an inspection - they gloss over most things. Here is a decent inspection checklist: http://www.njbmwcca.org/wp/wp-conten...Form-20191.pdf

You are pretty brave to buy an M3 with no PPI and limited funds to fix things. "Listening" for problems isn't effective.

Once you get a list (and a competent shop will give you a lengthy list of problems - especially given the car was sold with bald tires) - you can prioritize. Check mileage since last tune-up. I would change the oil and flush brake fluid now. Get a Blackstone kit before the oil and get a mid-stream sample and send it off to Blackstone to see what you have.

Then get the VANOS bulletproofed and the subframe reinforced.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 PM   #3
tedavis01

Scan for codes, check for leaks and write downs the maintenance timeline based on the receipts you have and check that against the recommended maintenance. You will want to check at some point the subframe as well. A lot of people on here freak out About all sorts of things but I assume this is a driver for you so you just want it to run and have A little fun.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
tedavis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2019, 12:20 AM   #4
Malolalo95

SOS. My car died

Iím pretty sure its my SMG transmission.

I had heard about their problems but damn; 3 days! First time I sensed a problem was today after work when i turned it on it started making a noise kinda like a ratchet noise kinda towards the top back of the engine. But when i switched into gear or back into neutral it would briefly stop.

I managed to make it to a buddies house and managed to park half way blocking his drive way. As i was parking i noting when i switched into first the transmission kicked. When i put it into reverse it kicked again and even worse. I tried going back a little to park a little better but it was jerking pretty bad so i stopped and turned it off.

Now it wont start or go into neutral. The SMG indicator Lamp also turned on.

SOS. I need help. I might need to sell the car ;(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malolalo95 View Post
So I've never owned a BMW. If actually never owned a sports car either. This is also the very first time get on this sight; so i thought I might as well start my own thread.

Yesterday I just bought a 2002 M3 in Titanium Silver with the SMG. With 85,801 miles on it. Single owner that gave me a file with tons of receipts and service records.

Although I should have, I didn't get the car inspected before purchasing it. I did test drive and didn't hear any weird noises or feel anything wrong besides the loud tire noise which i suspect is because they are completely bald.

I don't have too much cash to throw at this, which i know is another mistake. But I'm not afraid to do some work myself. I do get a discount on parts since i just started working as a client advisor at a BMW dealership. And if need be i get a discount on service labor.

With that being said, anything you guys would record I check or do first? Besides replacing my tires lol.

I'm also open to links to anything you feel i should take a look at.
Malolalo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 AM   #5
Alan

My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malolalo95 View Post
Iím pretty sure its my SMG transmission.

I had heard about their problems but damn; 3 days! First time I sensed a problem was today after work when i turned it on it started making a noise kinda like a ratchet noise kinda towards the top back of the engine. But when i switched into gear or back into neutral it would briefly stop.

I managed to make it to a buddies house and managed to park half way blocking his drive way. As i was parking i noting when i switched into first the transmission kicked. When i put it into reverse it kicked again and even worse. I tried going back a little to park a little better but it was jerking pretty bad so i stopped and turned it off.

Now it wont start or go into neutral. The SMG indicator Lamp also turned on.

SOS. I need help. I might need to sell the car ;(

Take it to your shop and put them to work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
HGVXM3

My Ride: BMW E46 M3
When I bought smg m3 I was 500 miles from home. So I made sure I put that baby to work on the test drive. Owner in the car with me I was blowing threw gears. My theory on doing this is that if they guy is telling everything is fine on the car then it shouldnít have any problems getting driven like a M should be driven. Even if itís a rest drive. When I did this turned out the car had a bad drive shaft! Took to a mechanic same day, got a quote, got the guy to drop the price and bought the car, got it fixed and drove it home 500 miles and havenít had a problem since. (Except my overheating problem but nothing mechanical at least)

HGVXM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
Ettinger

My Ride: 4 doors, 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGVXM3 View Post
When I bought smg m3 I was 500 miles from home. So I made sure I put that baby to work on the test drive. Owner in the car with me I was blowing threw gears. My theory on doing this is that if they guy is telling everything is fine on the car then it shouldnít have any problems getting driven like a M should be driven. Even if itís a rest drive. When I did this turned out the car had a bad drive shaft! Took to a mechanic same day, got a quote, got the guy to drop the price and bought the car, got it fixed and drove it home 500 miles and havenít had a problem since. (Except my overheating problem but nothing mechanical at least)

Unless documented, cooling system refresh should be a priority. https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

Consider FCP Euro for parts - they offer a LW on nearly everything sold.

Ettinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 09:31 PM   #8
TitaniumSilber
Banned User

My Ride: E46 Cabrio stick
"For Sale: BMW with SMG" = Run AWAY !!
TitaniumSilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #9
Dogthebountyhunter

My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ettinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGVXM3 View Post
When I bought smg m3 I was 500 miles from home. So I made sure I put that baby to work on the test drive. Owner in the car with me I was blowing threw gears. My theory on doing this is that if they guy is telling everything is fine on the car then it shouldn't have any problems getting driven like a M should be driven. Even if it's a rest drive. When I did this turned out the car had a bad drive shaft! Took to a mechanic same day, got a quote, got the guy to drop the price and bought the car, got it fixed and drove it home 500 miles and haven't had a problem since. (Except my overheating problem but nothing mechanical at least)

Unless documented, cooling system refresh should be a priority. https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=914109

Consider FCP Euro for parts - they offer a LW on nearly everything sold.
The m3 cooling system is more sturdy than the non m. I wouldn't bother replacing anything except the fan clutch and anything that's leaking. Op should take a look around the Vanos and valve cover for oil leaks. Seems like he bought a bad smog tho, so maintenance is the least of his worries now

Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bmw, e46, e46 2002, help a noob, m3