So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - Page 103 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:38 PM   #2041
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhumb View Post
Making which claim?
Start by diagramming your sentence containing the subject word.
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 10:08 AM   #2042
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Since your being charmingly coy.

Subject word: "claim."

Quote:
"The claim that climate models systematically overestimate global warming caused by rising greenhouse gas concentrations is wrong," says Jochem Marotzke.
Isn't this precisely the claim many/most AGW deniers make: that these climatogist's models are merely part of some sort of vast climatoligist conspriracy overstating (perhaps erroneously, presumably intentionally) AGW effects in order to steal our freedoms and shackle freedom-loving 'Muricans under the yoke of a communist one-world government or something equally silly?
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #2043
Cabrio330

You said:

Quote:
...it has still been warming precipitously the past decade or so...
Assuming "it" refers to global temperatures, your claim that they have been rising "precipitously" is absurd. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt and suggested maybe you just didn't know the meaning of the word "precipitously."
Old 02-04-2015, 01:12 PM   #2044
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post

Assuming "it" refers to global temperatures, your claim that they have been rising "precipitously" is absurd.
You're absolutely correct, it's totally an absurd claim.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs_v3/

But human logic is limiting, so everything on that page is 150% false.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zell; 02-04-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 01:15 PM   #2045
Rhumb

I do and against the long term geological record, global temperatures overall (not just atmospheric but oceanic, the vastly larger heat sink) have been rising precipitously, which is not simply my own claim but one that reflects the conclusions of the vast majority of climatologists, meteorologists and climate organizations.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:16 PM   #2046
Zell

Quote:
I do and against the long term geological record, global temperatures overall (not just atmospheric but oceanic, the vastly larger heat sink) have been rising precipitously, which is not simply my own claim but one that reflects the conclusions of the vast majority of climatologists, meteorologists and climate organizations.
Yeah well you're wrong because blog post and WSJ

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:21 PM   #2047
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
you guys are hilariously alarmist
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 PM   #2048
Rhumb

And yet another "alarmist" claim, this time from that vast AGW conspiracy:

Quote:
Warming Trend Continues in 2014
Press Release
2 February 2015

14 of 15 Hottest Years Have Been in 21st Century

Geneva, 2 February 2015 (WMO)

The World Meteorological Organization (WMO) has ranked 2014 as the hottest year on record, as part of a continuing trend. After consolidating leading international datasets, WMO noted that the difference in temperature between the warmest years is only a few hundredths of a degree - less than the margin of uncertainty.

Average global air temperatures over land and sea surface in 2014 were 0.57 C (1.03F) above the long-term average of 14.00C (57.2 F) for the 1961-1990 reference period. By comparison, temperatures were 0.55 C (1.00F) above average in 2010 and 0.54C (0.98F) above average in 2005, according to WMO calculations. The estimated margin of uncertainty was 0.10C (0.18F).

"The overall warming trend is more important than the ranking of an individual year," said WMO Secretary-General Michel Jarraud. "Analysis of the datasets indicates that 2014 was nominally the warmest on record, although there is very little difference between the three hottest years," said Mr Jarraud.

"Fourteen of the fifteen hottest years have all been this century. We expect global warming to continue, given that rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere and the increasing heat content of the oceans are committing us to a warmer future," he said.

Around 93% of the excess energy trapped in the atmosphere by greenhouse gases from fossil fuels and other human activities ends up in the oceans. Therefore, the heat content of the oceans is key to understanding the climate system. Global sea-surface temperatures reached record levels in 2014.
More.

Old 02-04-2015, 02:17 PM   #2049
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster

Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:27 PM   #2050
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i STX
TIL facts are alarmist.

WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #2051
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
0 net gain or loss where I live. Nothing to see here.

Carskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:30 PM   #2052
Cabrio330

Quote:
And yet another "alarmist" claim, this time from that vast AGW conspiracy:

LOL, if you just squeezed that chart a little more, that "precipitous" 0.025 degree change over the last decade would be damn near a vertical line. That would serve your alarmist agenda better and really scare the hell out of people.
Old 02-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #2053
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
I just ate lunch. There is no world hunger.

Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #2054
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
i turned on my tap and clean water came out. what water shortage?
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #2055
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
you guys are hilariously alarmist

Yes, objective NASA data is very alarmist. But using simple linear regression on Temperature vs. CO2 (in Microsoft Excel) is a much more accurate way of displaying it.

So far, the counter-arguments have consisted of scientifically-equivalent Dr. Oz logic. Let's take a look at a good example of Dr. Oz logic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
LOL, if you just squeezed that chart a little more, that "precipitous" 0.025 degree change over the last decade would be damn near a vertical line. That would serve your alarmist agenda better and really scare the hell out of people.
Ah, yes, I remember when I took Statistics 101!

The chart is actually statistically sound, containing no unnecessary white space, and is of correct proportions for time-series data. So actually, using your logic, the chart is technically longer than it is higher, which would make the line even shallower. Essentially, you just proved yourself wrong.

Last edited by Zell; 02-05-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 AM   #2056
WDE46

Apparently Cabrio knows the acceptable slope of temperature increase. Cabrio, what is a negligible temperature change and can you provide evidence to support your assertion that it is negligible?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:06 AM   #2057
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Apparently Cabrio knows the acceptable slope of temperature increase. Cabrio, what is a negligible temperature change and can you provide evidence to support your assertion that it is negligible?
This is the right way to show it, duh.

Make sure you include as much white space as possible, and arbitrarily choose a maximum reference number based upon how you feel. Be sure that your reference is as far away as possible from the maximum point that the data has seen within the time range, and extrapolate using a simple regression that fits your predetermined notion of where you think it might go. Bonus accuracy points if you use Excel.

Last edited by Zell; 02-05-2015 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:35 AM   #2058
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Lol all your math skills mean nothing if the data isn't accurate
Old 02-05-2015, 10:40 AM   #2059
WDE46

Why isn't the data accurate?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #2060
Zell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Lol all your math skills mean nothing if the data isn't accurate
Except that it is, and that the study of variability is statistics, and takes into account measurement error. It's pretty easy to understand a confidence limit, and that variability exists in every single measurement. There are solutions to all of these problems. The simplistic argument of "Yeah well it's wrong" isn't going to work here.

Quote:
This independent data set reproduces both annual variations and centennial trends in the temperature data sets, demonstrating the robustness of previous conclusions regarding global warming.
Quote:
The independent estimate of TL2m from 20CR demonstrates that, in spite of recently published [Pielke et al., 2007; Fall et al., 2011; Montandon et al., 2011] and public [Christy, 2012] concerns with the station temperature record, the temperature analyses [Brohan et al., 2006; Hansen et al., 2010; Vose et al., 2012a; Jones et al., 2012; Japan Meteorological Agency, unpublished data, 2012; Harris et al., 2013] used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) [Trenberth et al., 2007] and many others for climate science and for input to climate policy [IPCC, 2007] are reliable and robust estimates of large-scale TL2m variability and change

Last edited by Zell; 02-05-2015 at 10:48 AM.