So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along? - Page 104 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Political Talk

Political Talk
You may discuss anything regarding politics in this forum ONLY. If you cannot respect others opinions, your access to this forum will be removed.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:51 AM   #2061
Lair

My Ride: e90,e90, $5k Boxster
*golf clap*

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 10:55 AM   #2062
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
Lol all your math skills mean nothing if the data isn't accurate
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #2063
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Why isn't the data accurate?
Because it's all a great trans-national conspiracy to steal your freedoms, don't you know! Well, at least possibly impinge upon unfettered corporate profit prerogatives, which, in the conservative mindset of today, is the greatest apostasy of all and must be quashed at all costs, even if that cost is $889M.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #2064
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
My favorite part of this thread so far is thinking that a graph wider than it is high is squished, with the nominal linear regression in Excel of CO2 on Temperature coming in at a close second.

Last edited by Zell; 02-06-2015 at 11:41 AM.
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #2065
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
My favorite part is dhumb's contention that a 0.025 degree increase in the last decade is "precipitous."
Cabrio330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:44 PM   #2066
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
My favorite part was when Al Gore declared, as he was getting a nobel prize, that the ice caps would be gone by now. Close runner up, everyone who told me that there would be no rain forests left by the year 2000.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM   #2067
Lair

Quote:
My favorite part was when Al Gore declared, as he was getting a nobel prize, that the ice caps would be gone by now. Close runner up, everyone who told me that there would be no rain forests left by the year 2000.
You & Charles & David need to step up your game and finish off those ice caps this year.

Old 02-06-2015, 02:57 PM   #2068
Zell

Quote:
My favorite part was when Al Gore declared, as he was getting a nobel prize, that the ice caps would be gone by now.
Al Gore != scientist

Al Gore received a BA in Government, has a loud mouth, and only repeats what is spoon-fed to him.

Global warming is a scientific issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
My favorite part is dhumb's contention that a 0.025 degree increase in the last decade is "precipitous."
I would argue that it's more humorous being entirely objectively wrong about a subject than one's subjective definition of "precipitous" in mathematics (which has zero meaning or definition in the context of graphs, so you're both wrong).

This thread is like watching a 14 year old try to drive a car on a race track after watching his first season of Top Gear.

Last edited by Zell; 02-06-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:00 PM   #2069
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
This thread is like watching a 14 year old try to drive a car on a race track after watching his first season of Top Gear.
lol ok mathamagician

oh hey look, peer reviewed studies have flaws!

http://climateaudit.org/2015/02/05/m...g-differences/
Quote:
A new paper in Nature by Jochem Marotzke and Piers Forster: ‘Forcing, feedback and internal variability in global temperature trends’[i] investigates the causes of the mismatch between climate models that simulate a strong increase in global temperature since 1998 and observations that show little increase, and the influence of various factors on model-simulated warming over longer historical periods. I was slightly taken aback by the paper, as I would have expected either one of the authors or a peer reviewer to have spotted the major flaws in its methodology. I have a high regard for Piers Forster, who is a very honest and open climate scientist, so I am sorry to see him associated with a paper that I think is very poor, even as co-author (a position that perhaps arose through him supplying model forcing data to Marotzke) and therefore not bearing primary responsibility for the paper’s shortcomings

Gordon Hughes had some pithy comments about the Marotzke and Forster paper:

The statistical methods used in the paper are so bad as to merit use in a class on how not to do applied statistics.

All this paper demonstrates is that climate scientists should take some basic courses in statistics and Nature should get some competent referees.

The paper is methodologically unsound and provides spurious results. No useful, valid inferences can be drawn from it. I believe that the authors should withdraw the paper.
Earth Institute at Columbia University: Study - Seafloor volcano pulses may alter climate – models may be wrong

https://wattsupwiththat.files.wordpr...s_grl_2015.pdf

Quote:
Scientists have already speculated that volcanic cycles on land emitting large amounts of carbon dioxide might influence climate; but up to now there was no evidence from submarine volcanoes. The findings suggest that models of earth’s natural climate dynamics, and by extension human-influenced climate change, may have to be adjusted. The study appears this week in the journal Geophysical Research Letters.

Mid-ocean ridge eruptions as a climate valve

Maya Tolstoy

Abstract:

Seafloor eruption rates, and mantle melting fueling eruptions, may be influenced by sea-level and crustal loading cycles at scales from fortnightly to 100 kyr. Recent mid-ocean ridge eruptions occur primarily during neap tides and the first 6 months of the year, suggesting sensitivity to minor changes in tidal forcing and orbital eccentricity. An ~100kyr periodicity in fast-spreading seafloor bathymetry, and relatively low present-day eruption rates, at a time of high sea-level and decreasing orbital eccentricity suggest a longer term sensitivity to sea-level and orbital variations associated with Milankovitch cycles. Seafloor spreading is considered a small but steady contributor of CO2 to climate cycles on the 100 kyr time scale, however this assumes a consistent short-term eruption rate. Pulsing of seafloor volcanic activity may feed back into climate cycles, possibly contributing to glacial/inter-glacial cycles, the abrupt end of ice ages, and dominance of the 100 kyr cycle.
#science
Old 02-06-2015, 04:45 PM   #2070
Rhumb

My Ride: 2001 M3 Coupe
Quote:
lol ok mathamagician

Earth Institute at Columbia University: Study - Seafloor volcano pulses may alter climate – models may be wrong

#science
OP cites one putative bad study related to AGW and thus all of (climate science) is thus wrong? How can we be sure the earth is even round any more, just because those pointy-headed liberal scientist say its so? Or is this just another part of their Great Conspiracy to undermine capitalism and democracy and to steal our freedoms and vital bodily fluids (Dr. Strangelove reference)?

Other study does say that seafloor volcanos may alter climate -- OK so far -- but further reading also indicates that this effect is greatest at the height of glacial periods with the lowest sea levels and least during warmer periods like now. In other words, it ain't the undersea volcanos that are putting so much extra CO2 in the atmosphere, it's us. Also, according to the article, we're also in a more quiescent period due to the variations in the earths orbit around the sun -- were in a more circular phase which creates less crustal/lithospheric distortions and stress. So again, we're in a period where these undersea volcano pulses are contributing less CO2, not more, and that it is us causing all the problems.
Rhumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 PM   #2071
Zell

So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

Quote:
lol ok mathamagician

#science
What you posted is equivalent to an aspiring NFL player who is pissed that he didn't make the draft.

Can't you just admit that you have absolutely no idea what you're looking at, and we can move on to a scientific discussion with people who actually do this?

Last edited by Zell; 02-06-2015 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 PM   #2072
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Quote:
Can't you just admit that you have absolutely no idea what you're looking at, and we can move on to a scientific discussion with people who actually do this?
The classic "you're too dumb let the experts figure it out" response. Isn't that how we got here in the first place?
Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 PM   #2073
Zell

So....the "consensus" on global warming was a crock all along?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuc1 View Post
The classic "you're too dumb let the experts figure it out" response. Isn't that how we got here in the first place?

Do you have an opinion on how the next rocket should be designed? Unless your answer is, "I studied dynamics and have a PhD in physics," your answer should be, "I have no idea what I'm doing, and I won't pretend to know that I understand how rocket science works, because the maximum extent of my knowledge is 'gravity says what goes up must come down. This one time, I played Kerbal Space Program, and I watched Apollo 13 a few times.'"

That is what this thread is.

Last edited by Zell; 02-06-2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:46 AM   #2074
Act of God

Quote:
What you posted is equivalent to an aspiring NFL player who is pissed that he didn't make the draft.

Such big hubris from such a little self overrated manlet
Old 02-07-2015, 08:30 AM   #2075
Black///M

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
Quote:
discussion with people who actually do this?
I posted at the beginning of the thread I did this for a living. I also posted why I know it is a fallacy with the only intend is to tax the air. Just stop there and think about the marvel of taxing what is free. If you look at the solutions objectively, there is none. The main suggestion is setting a carbon credit exchange in Chicago and charge or fine using carbon credits that's all.
Black///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #2076
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Quote:
Do you have an opinion on how the next rocket should be designed? Unless your answer is, "I studied dynamics and have a PhD in physics," your answer should be, "I have no idea what I'm doing, and I won't pretend to know that I understand how rocket science works, because the maximum extent of my knowledge is 'gravity says what goes up must come down. This one time, I played Kerbal Space Program, and I watched Apollo 13 a few times.'"

That is what this thread is.
You keep on trusting all those 'experts'. Tell me how it works out for ya.

BTW, I got one out of two on your "have you studied this/do you have a degree in that" hypothetical. Does that mean I can design part of the rocket? With your permission, of course....

Mike
Old 02-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #2077
Act of God

lol

Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 PM   #2078
Lair

Fvck science. I believe what the republican politicians tell me.

Old 02-07-2015, 09:36 PM   #2079
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Fvck logic. I believe what the progressive politicians tell me.

5ynd1cat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:47 PM   #2080
Lair

"Logic" > scientists.