Mod suggestions - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > California

California
Have you seen another BMW while driving around in your area? Maybe you can find their car in the E46Fanatics Garage!
Northern California Southern California

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2019, 04:42 AM   #1
Mr.Diablo

Mod suggestions

Hello E46 owners. This is my 2nd post on this forum. I was thinking about modifying my ZHP a little bit. I wanted to have some suggestions from you guys and turn this car into a monster. If you guys want to see pictures and videos from my car follow me on Instagram. My Instagram is: @mr.diablo.official and dm me your suggestions. I would really appreciate it guys.

Thank you very much

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Mr.Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
HayWagon

My Ride: 03 325iT
Well.. What are your goals?
Weekend track toy? Daily?
Horsepower target? Budget?

I usually suggest tires first (after maintinace of course). Nothing else matters if you can't get traction.

Then some aftermarket coils and dampeners. Throw in new bushings, the factory originals are likely well past their prime. Maybe swaybars?

After the suspension is sorted, catless headers for a 8-14ish hp gain.

Headers are about all you can do to easily squeeze more power out of an M54. Beyond that, it's forced induction or engine swap... Which will cost more than the value of the car.

To turn an e46 into a monster requires deep pockets.

Sent from my tractor.

Last edited by HayWagon; 06-02-2019 at 10:56 AM.
HayWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #3
Mr.Diablo

Mod suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayWagon View Post
Well.. What are your goals?
Weekend track toy? Daily?
Horsepower target? Budget?

I usually suggest tires first (after maintinace of course). Nothing else matters if you can't get traction.

Then some aftermarket coils and dampeners. Throw in new bushings, the factory originals are likely well past their prime. Maybe swaybars?

After the suspension is sorted, catless headers for a 8-14ish hp gain.

Headers are about all you can do to easily squeeze more power out of an M54. Beyond that, it's forced induction or engine swap... Which will cost more than the value of the car.

To turn an e46 into a monster requires deep pockets.

Sent from my tractor.

Hey @haywagon. My goal is daily. Something thatís fully functional and powerful at the same time.

Last edited by Mr.Diablo; 06-02-2019 at 12:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
HayWagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Diablo View Post
Hey @haywagon. My goal is daily. Something thatís fully functional and powerful at the same time.

Ok, so first off would be a cooling system refresh if it hasn't been done recently and make any existing issues are fixed.
I would be checking/replace your suspension bushings, no point in trying to get more performance if suspension bits are flopping around.

Once thats all done, you can get into getting more performance. I'd suggest the following. Good set of performance tires, akebono brake pads, aftermarket shocks with a mild lowering spring, swap in a 3.46 differential and catless headers. But being in CA, don't know if catless headers will work for you. They are about the only bolt on mod which will increase power noticeably.

That is about all I'd do to a daily.

You really can't make these cars "powerful" without a turbo, super charger or and engine swap.
These are slow cars. But can be fun.

Sent from my tractor.

Last edited by HayWagon; 06-02-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #5
Mr.Diablo

Quote:
Ok, so first off would be a cooling system refresh if it hasn't been done recently and make any existing issues are fixed.
I would be checking/replace your suspension bushings, no point in trying to get more performance if suspension bits are flopping around.

Once thats all done, you can get into getting more performance. I'd suggest the following. Good set of performance tires, akebono brake pads, aftermarket shocks with a mild lowering spring, swap in a 3.46 differential and catless headers. But being in CA, don't know if catless headers will work for you. They are about the only bolt on mod which will increase power noticeably.

That is about all I'd do to a daily.

You really can't make these cars "powerful" without a turbo, super charger or and engine swap.
These are slow cars. But can be fun.

Sent from my tractor.

Correct me if Iím wrong @haywagon please. So I was thinking about a nice all season tires, 4 piston brembo break kit, gran control coil overs, a nice lip and maybe headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2019, 02:06 PM   #6
HayWagon

Get some good performance summer tires. For example, I just picked up a set of Firestone indy 500s. Good tire for cheap.
All seasons sacrifice grip for usability in snow. So if you don't have to deal with snow or low tenperatures, skip it.

I wouldn't do the big brake kit for now. Not worth it unless you are on the track or your tires have maxed out the brakes. Tires are usually the limiting factor in braking. A big brake kit is to manage heat from hard track use, not to necessarily shorten stopping distancs. The money can be much better spent on suspension components.

Coil overs aren't a must. For a street car some sport springs and shocks can be plenty. Just enough drop to improve performance. Slamming a car will result in poor performance.

Sent from my tractor.
Old 06-03-2019, 01:00 AM   #7
Mr.Diablo

Quote:
Get some good performance summer tires. For example, I just picked up a set of Firestone indy 500s. Good tire for cheap.
All seasons sacrifice grip for usability in snow. So if you don't have to deal with snow or low tenperatures, skip it.

I wouldn't do the big brake kit for now. Not worth it unless you are on the track or your tires have maxed out the brakes. Tires are usually the limiting factor in braking. A big brake kit is to manage heat from hard track use, not to necessarily shorten stopping distancs. The money can be much better spent on suspension components.

Coil overs aren't a must. For a street car some sport springs and shocks can be plenty. Just enough drop to improve performance. Slamming a car will result in poor performance.

Sent from my tractor.

There are a lot of suspension brands. Which brand do you think is the best for a street use?

Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
HayWagon

Quote:
There are a lot of suspension brands. Which brand do you think is the best for a street use?

You will need to research which setup will work best for you.
I'll be running H&R sport springs and dampeners on my fairly modified street car. I'm not a huge fan of coilovers on a daily.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Mr.Diablo

Quote:
You will need to research which setup will work best for you.

I'll be running H&R sport springs and dampeners on my fairly modified street car. I'm not a huge fan of coilovers on a daily.

Oh ok. Whatís your opinion on a lip?

Old 06-03-2019, 12:46 PM   #10
HayWagon

Quote:
Oh ok. Whatís your opinion on a lip?

What ever you think looks good.

Sent from my tractor.