Keeping top DOWN for extended periods. Problems? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #1
TitaniumSilber

My Ride: E46 Cabrio stick
Keeping top DOWN for extended periods. Problems?

Just want some input from members here on their experience with keeping their top DOWN for extended periods. I only had my hardtop on for 1 winter for several months, but never really drove her as she remained for the most-part garaged that winter with the soft-top down, of course.

I remember taking the hard-top off and found several "shiny" wear marks on both sides of the top. I am kind of adverse to using the hardtop again b/c of that experience.

As far as summer goes, I drive my 'vert when only it is sunny.

Anybody have issues with keeping their soft-top DOWN for extended periods? Discuss.
TitaniumSilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 08:39 PM   #2
All2kool

My Ride: 2002 325Ci
As long as it's nice and clean and completely dry when lowered, I can't see an issue.
All2kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
El Barto

My Ride: 330 CI
The only issue I had is I had the top down all winter in the garage while I worked on the car. Early spring I wanted to test out the repairs. Since it was below ~32 degrees f the top would not go up. I had to test out the car with the top down. It was refreshing to say the least. I thought the top was damaged, but after reading on this forum that early models had a temp sensor for the roof operation I just waited for warmer weather and it turned out it operated just fine once the weather improved.
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 12:26 PM   #4
TheRiddle
Sofa-king-what

My Ride: M52TUB28-Vert
18 years with had top from Nov.1st to May 31st, never had a problem

you only need to clean, dry and apply a proper water sealant on it (and add some silica gel bags in there) before put it to sleep and it will last for ever...
Old 06-17-2019, 10:08 PM   #5
TitaniumSilber

thanks for replies....BUT....no one has addressed the annoying shiny wear marks that are 2-3 inches in length along both sides of the soft top. I dunno.... would putting top back up, then applying 2 thin soft-cotton rags at these wear mark "points" then slowly putting top down, KEEP from these shiny wear marks from happening?

I did manage to somewhat remove these wear marks by gently using a finger-nail bath brush until the fabric was again once more "as before"....but I do not want permanent shiny wear marks.

Last edited by TitaniumSilber; 06-17-2019 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #6
dknightd

My Ride: 2002 330 cic
I think those shiny wear marks are inevitable. Maybe El Barto does not have them. I've never seen his car with the top up. Every e46 I've seen has them. But I admit I don't bother looking for them on every car I see. I do not know how they happen. It could be from storage, it could be from opening and closing top. If shiny wear marks are your biggest concern, you are in good shape
dknightd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:02 PM   #7
El Barto

My Ride: 330 CI
Dknighted,

My top has those shiny marks as well. I was worried with the first E46 convertible. I donít know exactly what causes it, but just because they are there doesnít mean the roof is going to rip immediately. Just clean the top regularly and put a protectant on it and enjoy the ride.
El Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
BobC63

My Ride: 330ci convertible
Year: 2003
Model: 330ci
Transmission: 5 spd Auto
Is your top black? On mine, I got rid of the whitish 'wear marks' in the folds with a black magic marker... unless you are closer than 1 foot away from the car with the top up, you can't where I touched it up...
BobC63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
TitaniumSilber

Thanks all for the tips. I guess I just wanna keep the aging process from going forward.
Old 08-13-2019, 02:35 AM   #10
Sylvan Lake V35

My Ride: X5M & X5d
Mine has the same marks, I assume it must rub in those spots when the roof is down and you're driving. I keep my hard top on all winter even though the car is park because it's just the best spot to store it but I am pretty sure the marks don't get worse while the car is sitting

2003 M3 convertible
BBS RSII Wheels
2010 X5M
HRE Wheels, gutted cats, stage II+tune, Eisenmann exhaust
2009 X5d
H&R springs, tuned
Sylvan Lake V35 is offline   Reply With Quote