Six month review of Wendler's 5/3/1 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #1
Leezy321

My Ride: 2001 bmw 325i
Six month review of Wendler's 5/3/1

The time has come to stop Wendler's 5/3/1 program. After 6 months my strength gains have finally slowed. But, it took 6 months!

There were two changes I did in this program from how 5/3/1 was originally written.
1) I only lifted 3 days/week. Wendler STRONGLY suggests 4 days/week. While being in the gym 4 days/week is probably ideal, I have no desire to strength train more than 3 days/week. Call me lazy..
2) De-load weeks. Again, Wendler STRONGLY suggests a de-load week every 4th week. I find this unnecessary. Everyone is different of course. I probably had 3 de-load weeks over the course of 6 months. Maybe even 2. I'd have to go back and look in my log book.

The results were about a 70lb increase on my squat/DL max. And a 45-50lb increase on my bench/oh press max. These are training maxes which is 90% of my actual max. So great results!

My body weight stayed about the same. Even with big strength gains. I did keep the program all about strength though. My accessory work was short. Maybe 1 or 2 exercises after my main lifts. My glutes and hamstrings got noticeably bigger (going by how my clothes fit), but everywhere else stayed about the same.

So all in all, I highly recommend the program. I will be going back on it after a few months. Wendler does have a method for recalculating your numbers when your strength gains stall to stay fresh. I chose not to go that route. 6 months doing the same thing had me a little bored.
Leezy321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:59 AM   #2
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
thanks for this, I've always wanted to try the program and really believe in the methodology. Glad it worked so well for you
Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Leezy321

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
thanks for this, I've always wanted to try the program and really believe in the methodology. Glad it worked so well for you

It's a great methodology that can really be fit into any program. There were several days where I didn't have much time. So I'd go in, warm up, do only my main lift, and leave. Yet still progressed!
Old 05-15-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
great program. Did very well on that after SS.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:33 PM   #5
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Progress is beautiful. Well done Leezizzle!
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 01:40 PM   #6
bimmerchop

My Ride: E46 M3
Awesome stuff! I love Wendler's 5/3/1 and base a lot of my programming off the same principles. I used to dislike the deload weeks, but I quickly learned to love them. They allowed me to re-focus on form and dial in technique a bit better instead of focusing on just the amount of load I was moving. Even though most of the time I felt like I could have skipped the deload, I found myself incorporating them as planned and enjoying them more and more.
- Pearl Stg3+ B5 S4 (sold)

EURO.techniks
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #7
Leezy321

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
Awesome stuff! I love Wendler's 5/3/1 and base a lot of my programming off the same principles. I used to dislike the deload weeks, but I quickly learned to love them. They allowed me to re-focus on form and dial in technique a bit better instead of focusing on just the amount of load I was moving. Even though most of the time I felt like I could have skipped the deload, I found myself incorporating them as planned and enjoying them more and more.

It's a great strength program for people with limited time. Sure enough, I read somewhere that's exactly why he came up with it because of his busy schedule.

Next time I go on 5/3/1 I'll most likely deload every 4th week like he suggests. That in itself could've been why my progress slowed. But either way, 6 months of sustained strength and lifting extremely heavy week in and week out I have no complaints.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:08 AM   #8
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leezy321 View Post
It's a great strength program for people with limited time. Sure enough, I read somewhere that's exactly why he came up with it because of his busy schedule.

Next time I go on 5/3/1 I'll most likely deload every 4th week like he suggests. That in itself could've been why my progress slowed. But either way, 6 months of sustained strength and lifting extremely heavy week in and week out I have no complaints.

What does he suggest doing during deload weeks?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:35 AM   #9
Leezy321

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
What does he suggest doing during deload weeks?

3 sets of 5 on your main lifts @60%, 70%, 80%. No extra reps (+ set) on your last set. Accessory work stays the same.

So not much changes. Just lighter sets on your main lift for the day.
Old 11-01-2015, 01:29 PM   #10
Leezy321

Starting back up on Monday. Going after a little more hypertrophy this time around, so after my main lift I'm going to do more accessory stuff than my first time around. Surprisingly, even after not doing this program for 5-6 months I haven't lost much strength at all.. I tested all my maxes last week. I'm also going to add throws, jumps, and sprints in before each session which I didn't do last time as well. My time is limited so a well thought out program is a must these days.

Deadlift 5/3/1 + accessory work

Bench/OH press 5/3/1 + accessory work

Squat 5/3/1 + accessory work

3 days a week. 3-4 accessory exercises each session.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM   #11
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
interesting, need to look this up
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #12
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post
holler at me son. Very familiar
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #13
Leezy321

Six month review of Wendler's 5/3/1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Act of God View Post

Great program! Try it out. I also love how short the workouts are. 15min warm up. Jumps, throws, sprints, and lifting takes about 40-45 min. So an hour or less..

Last edited by Leezy321; 11-05-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
I'm all about short workouts. Once I heal up from my current injury (moving sucks, especially moving two places into one). I'll hit up Solly and give it a go.
“The left does not win its battles in debate. It doesn’t have to. In the twenty-first century, media is everything. The left wins because it controls the narrative. The narrative is controlled by the media. The left is the media. Narrative is everything,” - Andrew Breitbart
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #15
Leezy321

First month (4 week mesocycle) just about in the books. Up 3lbs in body weight without even trying. I think the volume and higher reps I've added for hypertrophy has made all the difference. I've basically been doing only heavy weight and low reps on everything for years...