Lifting and Eating - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Lifting and Eating

Ok, we have quite a few people here that are into lifting. I used to be religious about it, and after marriage, kids, work, etc, I've slopped up a bit, especially after quitting smoking (minimal compared to others that I know.) Still have the muscle mass, but added fat as well, and want to go back to being healthy and much leaner. I have plenty of muscle and don't want any more, just want to lean out and call it good, but I have one problem...I love food. My latest method of food control was to try and eat clean during the week, and eat whatever I want on the weekends. I don't snack, and I don't eat junk food, but I eat 2.5 meals a day (something small for breakfast, a medium lunch, and a big dinner) which I know isn't ideal...but eating more often is not really something that I can easily do. It also doesn't help that I do a lot of restaurant consulting and get fed everywhere I go. So, just wondering what you big guys are eating and how you're handling your inner foodie cravings. I am NOT the kind of person that can eat iceberg lettuce 5 days a week
Old 10-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #2
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: E60M/NB2
#iifym
Old 10-27-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
NOVAbimmer

Srsly, tho, up your cardio, drop your calories. It comes down to impulse control.

Drink more water, it can help you feel fuller. I like using Mio, because I hate drinking water during a normal day.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
NOVAbimmer

Also, portion size. Since my wife started working with SollyD, I've been shocked several times at what a serving size actually is.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

Yea, I can't do the normal 6oz white meat chicken breast BS... I do drink tons of water, don't drink any sugared liquids (including juices) and am trying to watch the calorie intake. Most of my calories come from protein, just a large portion size...I can eat a 16oz steak without breaking a sweat, or 1/2 a roasted chicken without breaking a sweat. I am trying to cut my carbs (rice, potato, etc...sides basically) and replacing them with more salad, and using more filler (cabbage, leaves, etc)......I have the will power to diet etc, but I don't like to, I just want to eat responsibly, and just wanted to hear what you guys are chowin' down and how often you guys indulge...and on what. I'll never be like Solly, nor do I want to....I can't do the shakes in the morning, oatmeal for brunch, etc.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
NOVAbimmer

Lifting and Eating

When I'm lifting, I do a protein shake for breakfast, large lunch (turkey/cheese sandwich, fruit, yogurt, cheese, whatever else I can throw in a bag in the morning) and usually a protein and vegetable heavy dinner. Steak (filet), chicken (breasts or thighs), or pork (roast or chops) and then whatever vegetables we might have. Squash, spinach, green beans, corn, peas, etc. I'll also usually have a snack before bed. Yogurt, bowl of cereal, cookies and milk.

When I'm not (like now, but I really should get everything in I can before shoulder surgery), I go down to small breakfast, small lunch, normal dinner, and if I have a late night snack, it'll just be a glass of milk or something small.

I usually have 1, sometimes 2 fru-fru coffee drinks per week. I buy a 12 pack of Coke, and usually go through it in about a month.

I really started watching what I ate after our cruise last February. I was 221 when we left, and didn't feel comfortable. Had to go find new shorts a couple days before we left. It was a pain. I dropped down to 190 by August, and I'm still hovering around there.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 10-27-2015 at 07:14 PM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 PM   #7
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Ok, we have quite a few people here that are into lifting. I used to be religious about it, and after marriage, kids, work, etc, I've slopped up a bit, especially after quitting smoking (minimal compared to others that I know.) Still have the muscle mass, but added fat as well, and want to go back to being healthy and much leaner. I have plenty of muscle and don't want any more, just want to lean out and call it good, but I have one problem...I love food. My latest method of food control was to try and eat clean during the week, and eat whatever I want on the weekends. I don't snack, and I don't eat junk food, but I eat 2.5 meals a day (something small for breakfast, a medium lunch, and a big dinner) which I know isn't ideal...but eating more often is not really something that I can easily do. It also doesn't help that I do a lot of restaurant consulting and get fed everywhere I go. So, just wondering what you big guys are eating and how you're handling your inner foodie cravings. I am NOT the kind of person that can eat iceberg lettuce 5 days a week

I think I can help you.... few things that i've cooked in the past that tasted pretty damn good and was mostly protein. I dropped weight quick in the beginning of the year and i ate like a goddamn horse the entire time. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat less, you have to eat more, just the right stuff.

Snacks

Almonds/cashews/brazilian nuts - dip them in hummus
Italian tuna (in oil) drained, stuffed into cherry peppers
Rolled up some honey ham/turkey with horseradish mustard
Homemade Green been salad with pickled onions
Cottage cheese with a couple tablespoons of good granola
Beef jerky (drink a gallon of water lol)
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (Chocolate Peanut Butter or Chocolate Malt)

Meals

Chicken/beef shephards pie, whipped cauliflower substitutes potato, hattie's hot sauce
Shredded chicken and (a little) pepperoni simmered in a basic tomato sauce
Shredded chicken with pancetta and leek braised navy beans
Chicken sausage (Italian style) with peppers and onions
Shredded chicken with broccoli and 1/2 lb of Barilla wheat protein pasta
Shredded chicken hash with caramelized onion, kale, cubed roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted sesame oil

I'm getting back into the swing of things now that summer is long over. I've cooked a crap more things, but what I put above is good for meal preps as the dishes weren't sickening and rather sustainable for a week or so. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need anything, happy to help
Old 10-27-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
When I'm lifting, I do a protein shake for breakfast, large lunch (turkey/cheese sandwich, fruit, yogurt, cheese, whatever else I can throw in a bag in the morning) and usually a protein and vegetable heavy dinner. Steak (filet), chicken (breasts or thighs), or pork (roast or chops) and then whatever vegetables we might have. Squash, spinach, green beans, corn, peas, etc. I'll also usually have a snack before bed. Yogurt, bowl of cereal, cookies and milk.

When I'm not (like now, but I really should get everything in I can before shoulder surgery), I go down to small breakfast, small lunch, normal dinner, and if I have a late night snack, it'll just be a glass of milk or something small.

I usually have 1, sometimes 2 fru-fru coffee drinks per week. I buy a 12 pack of Coke, and usually go through it in about a month.

I really started watching what I ate after our cruise last February. I was 221 when we left, and didn't feel comfortable. Had to go find new shorts a couple days before we left. It was a pain. I dropped down to 190 by August, and I'm still hovering around there.
See, that seems to be my problem....you (and most guys I know) eat a little more often (a yogurt here, some nuts there) so you keep your appetite in check when it comes to mealtime...I don't, and by the time dinner rolls around, Im starving and can eat a horse....I need to try and keep the appetite at bay a little bit more effectively.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
I think I can help you.... few things that i've cooked in the past that tasted pretty damn good and was mostly protein. I dropped weight quick in the beginning of the year and i ate like a goddamn horse the entire time. Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat less, you have to eat more, just the right stuff.

Snacks

Almonds/cashews/brazilian nuts - dip them in hummus
Italian tuna (in oil) drained, stuffed into cherry peppers
Rolled up some honey ham/turkey with horseradish mustard
Homemade Green been salad with pickled onions
Cottage cheese with a couple tablespoons of good granola
Beef jerky (drink a gallon of water lol)
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard (Chocolate Peanut Butter or Chocolate Malt)

Meals

Chicken/beef shephards pie, whipped cauliflower substitutes potato, hattie's hot sauce
Shredded chicken and (a little) pepperoni simmered in a basic tomato sauce
Shredded chicken with pancetta and leek braised navy beans
Chicken sausage (Italian style) with peppers and onions
Shredded chicken with broccoli and 1/2 lb of Barilla wheat protein pasta
Shredded chicken hash with caramelized onion, kale, cubed roasted sweet potatoes, and roasted sesame oil

I'm getting back into the swing of things now that summer is long over. I've cooked a crap more things, but what I put above is good for meal preps as the dishes weren't sickening and rather sustainable for a week or so. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you need anything, happy to help
Ive been routinely replacing and cutting calories in food that I love without sacrificing too much in flavor or ruining the dish. For instance, I love me some bolognese or meatballs, but beef (especially good ground beef) has a fvckton of calories, so I've replaced the beef with a mix of turkey and veal, and still enjoy the meatballs without too much in flavor penalty. Tried the cauliflower/potato substitution for mashed potatoes, and that sh!t ain't foolin nobody . I also try an avoid my favorite (but highly caloric) stuff like Ribeyes, etc...I try and get leaner cuts, and more white meat chicken and white meat pork. I also eat a fvckton of salmon and fish in general. It seems that meal wise, Im pretty much where you guys are at, but you guys have snacks in your portfolio....seems like that's what Im missing and thats whats making me eat larger than normal portions at meal time. I'm gonna give this snack thing a try.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:16 PM   #10
JJR4884

Haha i hear you on the cauliflower but when you mash it all together with corn and ground whatever.... its not so bad. Throw some black pepper and Hattie's hot sauce on there, its a slammin dish. One of my faves.

The snacks are where its at. The nuts/hummus is rather filling and spicy/acidic things like the stuffed cherry peppers kill your appetite fast. Honestly though, if you are looking to try to eat less portion wise, i will say the #1 thing that will make you feel full or make smaller portions, is drinking a ton of water. Water is surprisingly filling when you make it a point to drink it diligently throughout the day

Last edited by JJR4884; 10-27-2015 at 09:17 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Haha i hear you on the cauliflower but when you mash it all together with corn and ground whatever.... its not so bad. Throw some black pepper and Hattie's hot sauce on there, its a slammin dish. One of my faves.

The snacks are where its at. The nuts/hummus is rather filling and spicy/acidic things like the stuffed cherry peppers kill your appetite fast. Honestly though, if you are looking to try to eat less portion wise, i will say the #1 thing that will make you feel full or make smaller portions, is drinking a ton of water. Water is surprisingly filling when you make it a point to drink it diligently throughout the day
I do drink a ton of water already, sometimes to the point where my belly feels like a fishtank and I can almost feel the water sloshing around Gonna make some home-made hummus and start some snacking. I try and stay away from spicy food...I love it, but spice stimulates appetite...I can eat much more spicy food than regular food.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:56 PM   #12
pakman3

My Ride: piece
dl myfitnesspal
track calories
deficit
????
profit
Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM   #13
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I do drink a ton of water already, sometimes to the point where my belly feels like a fishtank and I can almost feel the water sloshing around Gonna make some home-made hummus and start some snacking. I try and stay away from spicy food...I love it, but spice stimulates appetite...I can eat much more spicy food than regular food.
ya idk why i put "spicy" food as it does stimulate appetites, however pickled/vinegar-y foods on the other hand, kind of don't, for me at least. I'll pop a few of those tuna stuffed cherry peppers and that will hold me over for a good amount of time, and its almost zero carbs and protein.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #14
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Hire me to be your diet coach. Easy method for success. Eat whatever the fuuck you want as long as you hit my macros, communicate, fill out your weekly sheet and stick with it. This little thing I've created has blown up. I believe I've had 200 clients in 7 months now.

everyone still has dieting backwards. We need to stop recommending what foods people should eat if we don't know how much they're going to have. Food is not good or bad. The amount is.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-30-2015 at 09:03 AM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:31 AM   #15
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Hire me to be your diet coach. Easy method for success. Eat whatever the fuuck you want as long as you hit my macros, communicate, fill out your weekly sheet and stick with it. This little thing I've created has blown up. I believe I've had 200 clients in 7 months now.

everyone still has dieting backwards. We need to stop recommending what foods people should eat if we don't know how much they're going to have. Food is not good or bad. The amount is.

One of my mother in law's friends just signed up. Lauren is spending time with her this weekend to help her plan stuff out.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:11 AM   #16
DylloS

Quote:
One of my mother in law's friends just signed up. Lauren is spending time with her this weekend to help her plan stuff out.
It's awesome man. She's been very good to me with referrals. So happy to help all of them. What I love is this process works for my athletes and regular people just looking to feel better.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
+1, hire Solly if you are serious
My wife, sister, and aunt are all clients and have learned enough to stick with this in the long term. You would not believe how many people ask my wife what she's doing and comment on her progress week to week.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #18
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post
My wife, sister, and aunt are all clients and have learned enough to stick with this in the long term. You would not believe how many people ask my wife what she's doing and comment on her progress week to week.
fuucking pumped man. This is so rewarding lol
Old 10-30-2015, 10:57 AM   #19
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLVR JDM View Post

My wife is an elementary school teacher, so she is surrounded by women in their late 20's-40's. Which seems to be a demographic constantly looking to lose a few pounds.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #20
DylloS

Quote:
My wife is an elementary school teacher, so she is surrounded by women in their late 20's-40's. Which seems to be a demographic constantly looking to lose a few pounds.
yup and they all tried "everything". It's amazing when they get consistent.