E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Traction control light and eml

11K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  DrkSide_RbL 
#1 ·
Hi Guy

Any Idea why I have randomly started getting a Traction control light and EML on the dash problem is intermittent only on some drives. When I restart the car the lights clear and the car drives fine.

Cant think what it could, few months ago I had the Traction control, Brake light and ABS and that turned out to be a wheel speed sensor that I changed.

Any ideas what this could be? last work I had done to the car was Clutch and flywheel job.

Could it possibly be a bad battery? not sure how long its been in there.

Your help would be really appreciated as iv spent alot of money on this car as it is.

BMW 325CI 2001 msport 146k

#2 ·
I had a similar situation last week. I lost power accelerating off a red light. Brake (in yellow), traction, and eml lights came on and rpms were just hovering around 1500. I restarted the car while still rolling and now it's been fine ever since.

Throttle body?
Disa?
ICv?

Anyone know if one of these (or something else) is fixing to die on me?

#3 ·
Yeah your car is in limp mode. It's telling you something is wrong and your car is limiting its performance to prevent you from damaging it more. You should go to an Indy or autozone and have them check your engine codes. Usually it has to do with the throttle body but then again it could be anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.