330xi manual clunk/thump from the back, possibly differential? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-21-2020, 07:32 AM   #1
Himera

My Ride: 330xi
330xi manual clunk/thump from the back, possibly differential?

Hey there! Been owning an E46 330xi for 3 years now. I'm one of the many with this problem, from what I've read on all of the forums, but I haven't found a solution yet. The car is 5 speed manual. Whenever I release the clutch or release the throttle pedal and then hit on it harder, there's a fat clunk/thump, heard from the back of the car. For the past 3 years I've tried a few things: swapped all of the bushings, changed the transfer case, changed both front drive shafts. The thump persists, even though it's better now due to play in all of the changed above. I can't find any unusual play now. Today I went with my mechanic to try and see what's happening. I noticed that there's a weird clunk, seems to come from the inside of my rear differential. I recorded a video of that:

Does anybody know what's happening and what should I look at to fix that thump? If you're below the car it sounds like a clunk, however, from the inside you hear it as a fat thump. I'm less annoyed by it since I've been driving like that for 3 years now, and I've got the hang of it (how to drive the car with less thumping), but that isn't any fun at all! Is it even a problem from the differential, or is there something else?

Your help and experience will be very appreciated!
Himera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
77'911

You might check your rear coil springs and shocks 1st. The car has way too much play in the rear suspension. The coil springs typically break off at the bottoms of the coil, which are tough to spot unless the wheel is off and your really in there with a light. If you've done the transfer case mount, I'd replace the engine mounts. They should be both done at the same time, or close to it.
regards
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:54 PM   #3
Himera

Thanks! I've actually done the springs and shocks as well, 2 years ago, it's the fact that I'm actually on the brake and vigorously releasing the clutch at the same time. I haven't replaced any mounts, I just replaced the transfer case. There wasn't any play in the transfer case mount. I'll be sure to double check the engine mount, but I haven't seen any play there as well.
I found the culprit of the sound, but that's surely not going to fix the thump, since I didn't have that problem before, but still had the thump. The clingy sound is coming from worn out drive shaft. I'll be replacing that in the upcoming week.
Still haven't found a solution about the thump. I've got a transfer case that doesn't transfer to the front wheels at all, basically makes the car RWD, which I'll be putting on when replacing the drive shaft to isolate whether the thump comes from the front or the back.
I'll keep updating this post with everything that I try and find out, because as I know there are many people facing this problem out there.
Looking forward for more help and tips!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #4
77'911

Since you know the transfer case is toast, you might address that 1st. When releasing the clutch, can you tell if it's coming from the bell housing below? With AWD cars, one key, is to keep the drive line mounts in good shape. They tend to beat them up. One of the 1st things I did when we got our 330xi, was to replace a load of mounts:
1) motor mounts
2) transfer case mount
3) all exhaust mounts and hangers
It gets rid of loads of noises and vibrations. It also allows you to easily diagnose the more esoteric problems that crop up.
77'911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:40 PM   #5
Himera

For the third time, the transfer case is brand new I can't tell where it's coming from when releasing the cluth. I don't see any problems at all with the mounts.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:19 AM   #6
mach460

My Ride: 04 325 xi
it's just the way they are.....
mach460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #7
Himera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach460 View Post
it's just the way they are.....
There must be a reason behind this! I really can't sleep with "it's just the way they are", there should be a scientific explanation on what's actually happening. I doubt that ALL AWD e46s do that!
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
Rtcoleman

My Ride: '05 e46 330xi
FWIW, mine does not have a clunk. At all. And I've been listening b/c I'm at the mileage where lots of stuff wears out. Mine's a 6spd too. My motor mounts are two years old, but everything else is original from the factory.

A couple more things I've seen reported as wearing out: center support bearing, flex disks, RTABS, and (possibly) rear subframe bushings.
Rtcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:00 PM   #9
WilloCO

My Ride: '05 330xi 6 speed
Inspect the rear drive shaft carrier bearing.
RIP: 86 e30 w/E36 M3 suspension build
WilloCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #10
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
I have a low grumble under heavy load/acceleration, almost like driving over rumble strips w ear plugs inserted. Put on a lift this weekend and found the csb almost completely torn 360 deg. Parts are ordered. Guibo to be replaced at same time. I suspect both to be original ('05 w 194k miles, 6 spd) based on the condition of the exhaust hardware where the manifold attaches to the midpipe.

I don't experience the clunk you are OP. I have recently replaced both engine mounts as well as the TC mount. The driveline was silk smooth until this issue w the csb arose. Based on the video - does the rear diff bushing have excessive play?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 08:54 AM   #11
WilloCO

That's a good point, I'd consider dropping that diff. It's not fun but it's not that bad either. Mostly it's just a heavy PITA.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #12
Himera

A lot of info there, thanks! I'll post an update from today: I went and removed the rear drive shaft and sent it to a shop to repair it. There were a lot of problems with that: the one that I found at the start was a bad u joint at the rear differential. Apparently the bushing in the middle is also torn, and the middle joint has play. Tomorrow I will get my rebuilt drive shaft back and I'll post any updates when I get it back on the car, but I'm feeling confident that this might reduce the thump by a lot. I decided not to put the RWD only transfer case for now in order to test the drive shaft first. I checked the guibo today, it was as good as new. The transfer case bushing is dead by what I saw today, and I will also be replacing that, however this might take a few days, since I can't find any in stock in my country.

Last edited by Himera; 05-27-2020 at 08:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:29 PM   #13
WilloCO

That transfer case bushing is my least favorite job on the XI. It's super awkward to remove and install.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:50 PM   #14
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilloCO View Post
That transfer case bushing is my least favorite job on the XI. It's super awkward to remove and install.
Its a bloodbath, but much more doable w a manual. The auto leaves no room to work.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote