My Ride - Can't wait to dyno and custom tune. - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2020, 08:52 PM   #1
Anthony-NJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N. Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 34
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to Anthony-NJ
So I have a topaz blue 2003 pre March build with 54k miles. Garage kept that baby. I just got done with a full exhaust system overhaul. Yes kids got in the way of my life project.. Here's what I got and think it's pretty unique.

Agency power headers
Borla exhaust rasp eliminator. Sect 1
And 2.
eisenmann sport exhaust
Afe cold air intake stage 1
Evosport pulleys
Turner Motorsport tune
Iridium spark plugs

Looking forward till this covid crap is done so I can take her to the track.

Done know how much more money I want to invest into this project and not get much more gains. I heard you can change out your cams and rear differential gear to a 3.91 or higher, But is it really worth the money. Wouldn't you just add a supercharger?

Everything else except brake pads are factory. Some custom things I did is a wired my valentine 1 to my rear head rear and have my rear view mirror upgraded so the v1 lights up there. The on off controller is mounted where the coin holder is located. So it's all concealed.
Also have 12 strobes put in for shows I attended back in the day.
__________________
www.projectbimmer.com

Last edited by Anthony-NJ; 05-19-2020 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 AM   #2
Alan
Registered User
 
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,283
My Ride: 2006 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-NJ View Post

Done know how much more money I want to invest into this project and not get much more gains.

What is your goal? Track? You don't need any of that for the track.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:21 AM   #3
Anthony-NJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N. Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 34
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to Anthony-NJ
My Ride - Can't wait to dyno and custom tune.

Ive never been to a track. My coworker is a instructor so we were going to hit the track this sept. But who knows where covid will be at that point. My goal is not for track. It's really to have fun and tap into the potential. I guess I would like to get the most off the line torque without breaking the kids college fund (jk). Car already handles really well, and don't want to put stress on the frame as some upgrades can cause ruptures. For now im just going to have fun with it and perhaps look for more off the line speed
__________________
www.projectbimmer.com
Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-20-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
mooninite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 462
My Ride: M3, X5
The "mods" you listed are junk.

If all you want to do is go fast in a straight line buy any FI kit and have fun.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Jones68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2004 M3 / 2011 335d
Pictures ?!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jones68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:51 PM   #6
maw1124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sarasota, FL
Posts: 94
My Ride: Allroad; S55; 500E
My $.02 is you have the car back to what it should have been stock. Call it Stock+, which isn't gonna go much faster but will sound much better, won't break the bank and won't turn into a science project either. Enjoy it for what it is, a very well designed, classic athletic coupe. It'll go, turn and stop as it does now for years to come in its current configuration + sound a whole lot better, and you're not killing your resale every time you touch it. You might go for CSL headers (people will debate which ones longer than I'll listen), but that is questionable ROI to me.

If you go with a S/C kit, all the power will come at 4K RPM+, so unless you expect to drive in that range, I'd skip it. That is, it doesn't change the character of the torque curve, only steepens it at the high end. And only with forced induction do headers make sense to me. This car is a bit of a torqueless wonder so when I want torque I drive a different car.

So enjoy the car.

Cheers,

maw

Last edited by maw1124; 05-20-2020 at 05:52 PM.
maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #7
Anthony-NJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N. Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 34
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to Anthony-NJ
Moonlight. I wouldn't consider the parts to be junk. Maybe not designed for the application, but did free up some hidden power. My original goal was to improve the sound, then hated the rasp and I know that's a split option on m3 owners. So after I got rid of the cat and added the power headers it was way to loud and raspy. But did see a performance gain. Then added the borla and it def did the job I was looking for sound wise. I just know from the videos online I've seen there has never been a configuration like this so I'm gonna try to post video once I my buddy gets me the camera setup. Hopefully someone can find it useful when wanting a particular sound. What are you suggesting, with an fi. post a link

Don't have any pics yet but here is the v1 setup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	894D589E-6E87-429C-BF51-369822CFCF15_1590015909203.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	801029   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB03DCAF-90A6-4119-BB9B-F7BDE285B985_1590015957739.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	801031   Click image for larger version

Name:	96166222-20EC-4F2A-AEEE-EA3E9FD7971C_1590016195001.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	801035   Click image for larger version

Name:	E97EA9BA-3CD3-4D13-BDB7-0CC908FF2133_1590016271500.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	801037  

__________________
www.projectbimmer.com
Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
Anthony-NJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: N. Caldwell, NJ
Posts: 34
My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to Anthony-NJ
Thx maw
__________________
www.projectbimmer.com
Anthony-NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #9
SloopJohnB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 74
My Ride: 03 M3 cabrio
I gave up on Valentine (I have a couple) years ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-NJ View Post
So I have a topaz blue 2003 pre March build with 54k miles. Garage kept that baby. I just got done with a full exhaust system overhaul. Yes kids got in the way of my life project.. Here's what I got and think it's pretty unique.

Agency power headers
Borla exhaust rasp eliminator. Sect 1
And 2.
eisenmann sport exhaust
Afe cold air intake stage 1
Evosport pulleys
Turner Motorsport tune
Iridium spark plugs

Looking forward till this covid crap is done so I can take her to the track.

Done know how much more money I want to invest into this project and not get much more gains. I heard you can change out your cams and rear differential gear to a 3.91 or higher, But is it really worth the money. Wouldn't you just add a supercharger?

Everything else except brake pads are factory. Some custom things I did is a wired my valentine 1 to my rear head rear and have my rear view mirror upgraded so the v1 lights up there. The on off controller is mounted where the coin holder is located. So it's all concealed.
Also have 12 strobes put in for shows I attended back in the day.
For the most part I pay attention to where I'm driving. I guess if I were on the road 100s of miles from home I would take the detector with me. The problem is it gets set off by everyone's lidar or radar cruise and object detection if not burglar alarms by roadside. Yeah yeah yeah, Valentine says their newest ones (always a newer $$ one) obviate that, but still...
SloopJohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
SledgeHammer!
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 792
My Ride: 2005 E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-NJ View Post
Moonlight. I wouldn't consider the parts to be junk. Maybe not designed for the application, but did free up some hidden power.
The car has plenty of HP, it's got low, disproportionate torque. Only way you can fix that is with new gears. Software tune is a waste of money on these cars, they were heavily tuned at the factory. Cold air + exhaust + tune will get you 10 - 20hp at the rear wheels at peak. Waste of money. Only way to add anything substantial is with a super charger.

I love this car and its my daily and I'm not selling it any time soon, but Civics can beat it nowadays. Its the torque that gets you.

Software tune is only good on factory detuned cars (or when you do a turbo/super charger) lol. This ain't one of them.
SledgeHammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #11
Dogthebountyhunter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Philly
Posts: 1,163
My Ride: 03 M3 Vert 2005 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SledgeHammer! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony-NJ View Post
Moonlight. I wouldn't consider the parts to be junk. Maybe not designed for the application, but did free up some hidden power.
The car has plenty of HP, it's got low, disproportionate torque. Only way you can fix that is with new gears. Software tune is a waste of money on these cars, they were heavily tuned at the factory. Cold air + exhaust + tune will get you 10 - 20hp at the rear wheels at peak. Waste of money. Only way to add anything substantial is with a super charger.

I love this car and its my daily and I'm not selling it any time soon, but Civics can beat it nowadays. Its the torque that gets you.

Software tune is only good on factory detuned cars (or when you do a turbo/super charger) lol. This ain't one of them.
Op all those mods are decent and the car is still basically stock. The m3 is totally worth putting on an exhaust even just for the sound. Afe intake is decent but my car would stall when stopping sometimes. I think it throws off the maf. The pulleys are tasteful and should tighten up the wheel a tad bit. The tune is worth it just to take off the speed limit. If your getting more power mods I'd say get the pro flex commander e85 kit and you could probably squeeze 20 more hp with all those mods. I'd stay away from cams, might as well splurge on a supercharger kit instead
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dogthebountyhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:41 AM   #12
M3PowerPlay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Powell, Ohio
Posts: 193
My Ride: 2002 M3 - 1998 M3-4
Send a message via AIM to M3PowerPlay
Quote:
Originally Posted by maw1124 View Post
My $.02 is you have the car back to what it should have been stock. Call it Stock+, which isn't gonna go much faster but will sound much better, won't break the bank and won't turn into a science project either. Enjoy it for what it is, a very well designed, classic athletic coupe. It'll go, turn and stop as it does now for years to come in its current configuration + sound a whole lot better, and you're not killing your resale every time you touch it. You might go for CSL headers (people will debate which ones longer than I'll listen), but that is questionable ROI to me.

If you go with a S/C kit, all the power will come at 4K RPM+, so unless you expect to drive in that range, I'd skip it. That is, it doesn't change the character of the torque curve, only steepens it at the high end. And only with forced induction do headers make sense to me. This car is a bit of a torqueless wonder so when I want torque I drive a different car.

So enjoy the car.

Cheers,

maw
I agree with MAW's assessment.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Bilstein PSS9's - BBS LM-R's - Toyo Proxes T1R's - Powerflex Rear Trailing Arm Bushings - Smoked Corners & Markers - Black Gills & Kidney Grills - Evosport Headers - Custom Performance Innovations CRT - VF-Engineering Street Sport Supercharger - 50% Tint

Last edited by M3PowerPlay; 05-23-2020 at 12:41 AM.
M3PowerPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #13
Jones68
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 77
My Ride: 2004 M3 / 2011 335d
I haven't had my M3 long but I have to agree with people above. You gotta wind the S54 up to 5500 to get into the power band, so to speak. It's no wonder they wear rod bearings, what like 11.5:1 compression (?) and wound up tight all the time.

As first world problems go, I look into some of these mods, and when I read of the gains from honest people, I think it's best left as is.
(I'm not a track guy, because unfortunately that doesn't exist here, except SCCA in parking lots)

Even a supercharger kit...very cool. Price isn't terrible actually, but with compression where it is, I'm not sure it's even a great idea.

Torque. I think my 335D will beat my M3 in the 1/4 mile. Hope to find out soon. The 335D is actually more interesting when it comes to mods when you are starting out at 425lb/ft stock ! That's 426 hemi torque right there. (advertised)
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Jones68; 05-23-2020 at 09:30 AM.
Jones68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
(c) 1999 - VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.