The General AR Discussion Thread - Page 192 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-17-2016, 04:04 PM   #3821
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcr_driver View Post
Looking for some input, in the wake of kommifornia's new AR laws I'm going featureless which means I need to get rid of my A2 flash hider, I've narrowed it down too 4 choices and would like some input on what would be more favorable for a 16" featureless. Also can some explain the difference between the Battlecomp 1.0 and 2.1 I see the channel groves but what effect does that have that makes it better over the 1.0 design is what I want to understand.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...x224)&psize=96

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod5573.aspx

The BC 2.0/2.1 is a slightly smaller diameter that is meant to be compatible with sound suppressors that fit over the A2 flash hider, like the Gemtech. Both are fine. Very good performance.

That said, if the intended purpose of the gun is 3-Gun, you want the best recoil reduction possible. Side ported brakes will give you the best recoil reduction and keep the gun flat. The Miculek and SureFire options are brakes. Performance among them is going to be marginally different, and you are going to be getting similar performance. The JSC Titan and Benny Cooley brakes are considered to be the best on the market for recoil reduction, but you will also pay more for them.

One word of warning- comps/brakes were not meant for use indoors. If you shoot them indoors, like in inside gun ranges, they will have a lot of blast and concussion.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:19 PM   #3822
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
That's next on my list. I'll likely run by Turner's and a few other local stores to check out some of the options that were suggested a few pages back. A few guys that I work with are gun guys, so I may check out their optics at a range as well.

Do you run optics on your shotgun too (...assuming that you own a scatter gun)? The 870 Express Tactical that I purchased has the ghost ring sights on a rail, so I'm trying to figure out what I want to change on that gun as well.
I have personally never run optics on a non-hunting shotgun (my slug gun has a 1-4x). I find that a fiber optic front sight bead is sort of the best of all worlds and gives you the fast aiming and target tracking. I have used ghost ring type sights extensively on shotguns. Short of long distance slug shots, I really don't like those sights. Red dot would be a perfect addition to a shotgun to give a little bit of everything.

Learning Firearms

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 PM   #3823
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
Just picked up my Wilson Combat stripped upper and lower receivers! Build quality seems excellent on initial inspection. This will be for an SPR build - still deciding on the barrel...
A quality 18" stainless steel match barrel with 1:8 or 1:7 twist would be the best option. Several companies have great barrels.
BCM SS410 is made by Krieger Barrels
Noveske barrels are made by PacNor
White Oak Armament make some excellent barrels for good price

Rainier Arms has several different levels of barrels that all made from Shilen, Wilson and Rock Creek blanks. All of them are guaranteed sub-MOA. I personally would look hard at a Rainier Arms .223Wylde 18" SPR barrel (uses a rifle length gas system), in either the Match or Rock Creek line.
https://www.rainierarms.com/barrels/...0blk?limit=all

Learning Firearms

Old 07-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #3824
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD 328I View Post
Those are Magpul Pmag Gen M3 modified for 10 rounds, $20 bucks each.

I bought them from: https://www.calegalmags.com

The Patriot Bullet Button is designed to make AR-15s & AK-47s sold after Jan 1, 2017 California compliant. I still prefer the normal bullet button, which luckily we don't have to change for any ARs sold before the 1/1/17. Its similar to the ARMagLock, which will also be compliant and may actually be a slightly better solution.

Here is a link from: http://www.bulletbutton.com/bullet-b...gal-san-diego/

Vid:
We all know how ridicules all of this is, but something like this seems much better then funky mag release modifications. I'm still dumbfounded by the "bullet button".

BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:22 PM   #3825
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I have personally never run optics on a non-hunting shotgun (my slug gun has a 1-4x). I find that a fiber optic front sight bead is sort of the best of all worlds and gives you the fast aiming and target tracking. I have used ghost ring type sights extensively on shotguns. Short of long distance slug shots, I really don't like those sights. Red dot would be a perfect addition to a shotgun to give a little bit of everything.
Thanks for the suggestion Reedo302! What don't you like about the ghost ring sights.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM   #3826
Omnipotent

My Ride: 2014 335i
Send a message via AIM to Omnipotent
Quote:
A quality 18" stainless steel match barrel with 1:8 or 1:7 twist would be the best option. Several companies have great barrels.
BCM SS410 is made by Krieger Barrels
Noveske barrels are made by PacNor
White Oak Armament make some excellent barrels for good price

Rainier Arms has several different levels of barrels that all made from Shilen, Wilson and Rock Creek blanks. All of them are guaranteed sub-MOA. I personally would look hard at a Rainier Arms .223Wylde 18" SPR barrel (uses a rifle length gas system), in either the Match or Rock Creek line.
https://www.rainierarms.com/barrels/...0blk?limit=all
Thanks for the advice!
I was actually looking at the BCM as a potential, but wasn't sure to pick the regular SS410 or the one with the IonBond coating - any thoughts?

Noveske is a bit $$$ - very nice though...

I've heard very good things about White Oak arms - will need to do more research. Same with Rainier. Price of these as well as the BCM is more palatable, hahah

How are Odin Works barrels? I was looking into these as well. Decent price point and good reviews online, as far as I can tell

What are your thoughts about rifle length vs. mid-length gas systems for an 18" barrel? Too many differing opinions online in my googling, lol!

Last edited by Omnipotent; 07-18-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Omnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:48 PM   #3827
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
Thanks for the advice!
I was actually looking at the BCM as a potential, but wasn't sure to pick the regular SS410 or the one with the IonBond coating - any thoughts?

Noveske is a bit $$$ - very nice though...

I've heard very good things about White Oak arms - will need to do more research. Same with Rainier. Price of these as well as the BCM is more palatable, hahah

How are Odin Works barrels? I was looking into these as well. Decent price point and good reviews online, as far as I can tell

What are your thoughts about rifle length vs. mid-length gas systems for an 18" barrel? Too many differing opinions online in my googling, lol!
Stainless vs IonBond is simply a matter of color of the barrel. There is no difference otherwise. It's either silver color, or $60 more for black.

I've heard good things about Odin Works, but in reality, a trained monkey can make an accurate barrel.

Midlength vs Rifle gas: the Rifle gas system will be slightly softer under recoil. It requires less tuning to prevent over-gassing from hot rounds. That said, Midlength is really not problematic either. There is also intermediate length, which is in-between Midlength and rifle. Midlength tends to be more tolerant of weaker loads because it keeps the system charged longer than rifle on an 18" barrel. I prefer rifle length because it's a nice soft "slow" impulse versus a more abrupt one from a shorter system. I have debated trying out an intermediate length build, but there's really no need for me to right now.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion Reedo302! What don't you like about the ghost ring sights.
They're just really slow and clumsy compared to alternatives like a FO front bead.

Learning Firearms

Old 07-18-2016, 02:41 PM   #3828
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:

They're just really slow and clumsy compared to alternatives like a FO front bead.
I'll upgrade the sights to a FO front bead.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:47 PM   #3829
Reedo302

I mean, do what you want. If you just plan to shoot bird shot or buckshot, the bead front is ideal. This is why you see it on upland/waterfowl guns, skeet/trap guns, and 3-Gun shotguns. The ghost ring really is only necessary for long range slug use, or if you need tritium night sights. I would suggest going to a gun shop where they have a ghost ring sight shotgun like a Benelli M4 or Remington 870 Tactical and swing around a few guns and see what works best for you and your eye.

Learning Firearms

Old 07-19-2016, 02:26 AM   #3830
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
I mean, do what you want. If you just plan to shoot bird shot or buckshot, the bead front is ideal. This is why you see it on upland/waterfowl guns, skeet/trap guns, and 3-Gun shotguns. The ghost ring really is only necessary for long range slug use, or if you need tritium night sights. I would suggest going to a gun shop where they have a ghost ring sight shotgun like a Benelli M4 or Remington 870 Tactical and swing around a few guns and see what works best for you and your eye.

This will primarily be a home defense gun that will see the range on occasion. I won't be hunting with it or anything.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:44 AM   #3831
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
This will primarily be a home defense gun that will see the range on occasion. I won't be hunting with it or anything.
You already have much better options for a home defense gun than the shotgun. It's slow, long, heavy, over penetrates, and has limited rounds.

Last edited by Serbonze; 07-19-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #3832
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
You already have much better options for a home defense gun than the shotgun. It's slow, long, heavy, over penetrates, and has limited rounds.

Lol!

P.S. I already ordered the 870 Tactical.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:09 AM   #3833
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Lol!

There is nothing wrong with that, the more firearms the better! I'm just trying to help you out with your home defense needs.

Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #3834
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Lol!

It's un-american to not own a 12ga pump gun. Congrats!
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:14 PM   #3835
BKMrSteel

My Ride: 99 328i
Quote:
Lol!

Don't go "Knox - Blackhawk " stock on that sucker. Thing produced the most awkward kick that led to a very aggravating short stroke. It felt like a double kick, as I was cycling rounds it uncompressed the spring and kicked the gun forward away from my hand on the forgrip. Otherwise beautiful classic pump.

BKMrSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 08:22 PM   #3836
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Don't go "Knox - Blackhawk " stock on that sucker. Thing produced the most awkward kick that led to a very aggravating short stroke. It felt like a double kick, as I was cycling rounds it uncompressed the spring and kicked the gun forward away from my hand on the forgrip. Otherwise beautiful classic pump.
Thanks for the suggestion, especially because that Knoxx Specops Gen II stock was on my short list. I think the "Blackhawk" is the Gen III version though. I am also considering the Hogue forend/stock and Magpul forend.
Old 07-19-2016, 08:23 PM   #3837
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
It's un-american to not own a 12ga pump gun. Congrats!
Agreed. 'Murica!
Old 07-19-2016, 10:12 PM   #3838
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, especially because that Knoxx Specops Gen II stock was on my short list. I think the "Blackhawk" is the Gen III version though. I am also considering the Hogue forend/stock and Magpul forend.
I can't bring myself to mod my HD shotgun. Even though i don't have kids, i'm not keen on keeping anything more than a cheap 18" pump shotgun outside of the safe.

My mossberg 500 is means to get to my safe. In the not so likely home invasion event, the position of my safe, in relation to access points of my bedroom, offers a fair amount of protection. Clothes filled furniture one one side of the closet wall, safe on the other side. Once there, i've got a nasty little defensive fighting position where i only have to worry about a threat from a single point. Natural choke point in the room creates crappy situation for anyone trying to enter. Ammo for days in there as well.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 10:20 PM   #3839
M3Inline6
Law Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I can't bring myself to mod my HD shotgun. Even though i don't have kids, i'm not keen on keeping anything more than a cheap 18" pump shotgun outside of the safe.

My mossberg 500 is means to get to my safe. In the not so likely home invasion event, the position of my safe, in relation to access points of my bedroom, offers a fair amount of protection. Clothes filled furniture one one side of the closet wall, safe on the other side. Once there, i've got a nasty little defensive fighting position where i only have to worry about a threat from a single point. Natural choke point in the room creates crappy situation for anyone trying to enter. Ammo for days in there as well.
Sounds like a scene out of a movie.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:59 AM   #3840
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMrSteel View Post
Quote:
My last agency switched to the Knoxx GenIII stocks on our Wilson Combat 870s, and we had a lot of problems with them. Several broke, the screws backed out of all of them and the stocks constantly rattled loose (even with Loctite), and we had a lot of short stroking.

Learning Firearms