The General AR Discussion Thread - Page 201 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 89 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #4001
jsantoli

My Ride: M3
Reedo what are your thoughts on the Sig M400? I have one and I get failure to feed sort semi often. It’s all stock with the exception of a few geissele items (SSA trigger, buffer spring, charging handle). The round will fire and eject but the next round won’t load into the chamber. This has happened with the factory sig mag, pmags, and steel mags I have from when I was active duty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jsantoli; 04-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.
jsantoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #4002
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
Is the buffer spring stuffer/softer than a normal one from say a parts kit? Have you tried putting the original one to see if it cycles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mcr_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:55 AM   #4003
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Assuming something isn’t impeding the BCG, there’s a high likelihood that the BCG is short-stroking. It’s probably cycling back far enough to eject, but not far enough to strip off the top round from the mag. The primary reasons for this are either lack of gas or too much resistance. For the resistance part, that could be due to the recoil spring you installed. Many aftermarket springs are designed for the vast majority of commercial rifles, which are designed with an an overly large gas port that can cause the rifle to be over-gassed. The problem is that those aftermarket springs are not appropriate for rifles that were designed to have tighter tolerances with smaller gas ports. Years back when BCM first started selling a lot of 14.5” pinned midlegth guns, people were putting aftermarket springs in them, shooting any .223 ammo they could find, and they were having reliability issues. Well, BCM tunes their rifles to run on 5.56 mil-spec ammo, which is higher pressure than most commercial .223 that people shoot. They tuned the rifles at the factory and people screwed with them for no good reason and caused the malfunctions by swapping out parts that didn’t need to be swapped out. In general, people should not be swapping out critical components like recoil springs or BCGs unless the rifle exhibits issues relating to them.

If the rifle fired fine with the factory recoil spring, what did the ejection pattern look like for the brass? Did the brass come out at 2:00-3:00? If so, the rifle was likely factory tuned to run as set up. If so, the rifle would not need a recoil spring upgrade/swap. Doing so could cause it to undergas. Sig Sauer is a lot more exacting about their tolerances than other companies, and while I don’t know what size gas port they’re using, l would suspect that they are using a tighter gas port than most commercial companies that intentionally over-gas their rifles.

Also, which ammo are you using? Are you using high quality factory loads like Federal, or are you using surplus Euro or Russian ammo?

The other issue could be a leak or lack of gas somewhere in the system. To figure that out, start from the muzzle and work your way back. Make sure the gas block is tight and properly aligned/straight. Look at the gas tube and make sure it’s straight, and that there aren’t any kinks or crimps. Make sure there are no holes in the gas block. Inside the receiver, make sure the bell around the end of the gas block is concentric and not worn down on one side. Next, take the BCG and remover the bolt. Slide the carrier back into the receiver without the bolt and fell for resistance as the gas key slides over the gas tube. After that, inspect the gas key and make sure that it’s tight and solid, and the screws are properly staked. Then, take the bolt and slide it around inside the carrier and make sure that it’s got a tight fit. Address any issue that you see.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-12-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:49 PM   #4004
jsantoli

Awesome thanks for the reply. I’ll swap out the spring and see how that does first. I’m using Winchester ammo and also have some green tip military stuff so ammo shouldn’t be an issue.

Last edited by jsantoli; 04-12-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 AM   #4005
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
I'm having a hell of a time picking out a red dot unit, the price range for what appear to be similar products is mind-numbing. Killin me!
Old 04-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #4006
Reedo302

What is your budget? What are you wanting to do with the rifle?

Learning Firearms

Old 04-13-2018, 02:38 PM   #4007
jsantoli

I have an eotech and love it for my needs. Work rifles have a trijicon but I like the eotech better

Last edited by jsantoli; 04-13-2018 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #4008
Act of God

Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
What is your budget? What are you wanting to do with the rifle?
Mostly plinking at the range, I assume I can get something decent for $150-300?

Seems like Holosun has some decent stuff without breaking the bank. I saw a neat red dog/laser sight combo they had but hesitant to pull the trigger on this stuff.
Old 04-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #4009
Reedo302

For something inexpensive, the Bushnell TRS-25 is the best deal. The next step up would be a Primary Arms/Vortex red dot (they use the same Chinese manufacturer). Holosun is a lot better than they used to be, and Sig Sauer is using them to make Sig’s red dots. I would rather buy a Sig Sauer because then you at least have the name and the warranty to back it.

Learning Firearms

Old 04-17-2018, 11:03 AM   #4010
Act of God

The Sig Romeo5 looks pretty nice for the money. They have one I'm really digging.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/opmod-s...OPR5X-SOR52112

The FDE would match my fixed mag Emma perfectly. Worth the $40 upgrade for the dot/circle select option?
Old 04-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #4011
Reedo302

If you like that reticle, sure. It’s all about preference. For $40, it’s hard to argue with. I have a couple partners running Sig optics and they’ve been pretty reliable on the street.

Learning Firearms

Old 04-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #4012
Act of God

I think I'll pick it up with a set of matching FDE magpul backup sights.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #4013
Act of God

Alright got it and also got a regular Romeo5 off r/gundeals for $95 for my other AR. Looks like I'm set, now onto ammo
Old 06-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #4014
Act of God

Hogg is done

Old 06-06-2018, 04:13 PM   #4015
Act of God

2nd gun, emma, just arrived at DSI....big week
Old 06-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #4016
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Wait, you named your guns??

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #4017
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Wait, you named your guns??
Haha yup
Old 06-08-2018, 07:47 AM   #4018
Act of God

Emma

Thank you parkland morons for the motivation
Old 06-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #4019
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Geez. You even named them after parkland shooting survivors. That's weird, even for you edgelord.

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #4020
Act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Geez. You even named them after parkland shooting survivors. That's weird, even for you edgelord.
Hogg is a featureless bitch

Emma is brown and has all the things you want, but you can't play with them all (fixed mag)

These two twats personally motivated me to purchase 2 AR's, they should be proud. I owned 0.0 guns before that.

Edit: let's not go crazy with "survivors", Hogg wasn't even in the building (not sure about the other)

Last edited by Act of God; 06-08-2018 at 01:25 PM.
Act of God is offline   Reply With Quote