Broken front jack point? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
DiogenesSinope

My Ride: E46(Titanium Silver)
Year: 2001
Model: 316i SE (M43B19)
Transmission: Automatic
I've just come to jack up my car to find that the front jack point appears to be damaged on my car (pic attached). Does this damage look like and other parts of the car may have been damaged as a result? Will this be safe to jack up on? Or will it potentially cause further damage? I've seen pictures around of other jack points that look similarly deformed and nobody seems to be suggesting it's an issue. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	99292251-D25D-496A-8141-EE819F2BD311_1526126913968.jpg
Views:	1219
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	742736  

Last edited by DiogenesSinope; 05-12-2018 at 08:14 AM.
DiogenesSinope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
pedro2u

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI Vert ZHP
Transmission: 6sp MT
just looks like the rubber jack pad is missing. Easy to pop a new one into the hole. Or use a small piece of wood between the jack and where the pad was supposed to be to avoid crushing the aluminum around it. Otherwise looks like you shouldn't have problem
pedro2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #3
IceWhite

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
just looks like the rubber jack pad is missing. Easy to pop a new one into the hole. Or use a small piece of wood between the jack and where the pad was supposed to be to avoid crushing the aluminum around it. Otherwise looks like you shouldn't have problem
Don't think so.
The picture is the front middle section of the car, below the engine. There is no rubber jack pad.
IceWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #4
pedro2u

My Ride: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Year: 2005
Model: 330CI Vert ZHP
Transmission: 6sp MT
you're absolutely right. That's the support plate under the engine, part of the subframe. And that is the center jacking point. 50skid talks about it at the 1:35 minute mark in this video and says it that usually looks crushed like that (from jacking)

pedro2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
Bidno

My Ride: 2002 325i
Never seen anywhere that bmw states this is jack point. Don't believe it is. Believe issue lies with many thinking it is based on initial/undamaged appearance.

OP, don't believe you should have issue but might want to stop jacking this way. Safest approach is to use designated jack points. To get front onto jack stands, use a floor jack under the rear jack pad and raise until you can place stand under the front pad. Then lower floor jack and repeat on the other side. GL

Last edited by Bidno; 05-12-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Bidno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:21 PM   #6
DiogenesSinope

Ok. If this is not the front jack point, where is it?
Old 05-12-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
Bidno

It's an aluminum reinforcement plate. Not positive but believe prior models had tubular steel reinforcement which exposed jack point on the axle support above e.g. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=31_0404 . However, this replacement design covered that with the aluminum reinforcement plate. Look at Bentley or other formal documentation and you won't find it addressed as a jack point. Likely for reasons we're been discussing i.e. the aluminum is too thin to support car's weight. But hey, it's your car -- drive and enjoy!

Edit: Err, read as "what is...". There is not a single front jack point. You "have" to work with two front jack points I.e. rubber pads behind front wheels near outside edges and under front doors.

Last edited by Bidno; 05-12-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:52 AM   #8
DiogenesSinope

Yes, I know about the side jack point - but the aim of using a front jack point is to jack the car up on stands on those side jack points. Therefore, frontally located jack point is required... Surely BMW won't have designed without any front jack point?
Old 05-14-2018, 05:10 PM   #9
TheNorm

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesSinope View Post
Yes, I know about the side jack point - but the aim of using a front jack point is to jack the car up on stands on those side jack points. Therefore, frontally located jack point is required... Surely BMW won't have designed without any front jack point?
BMW intended you take it to the dealer to use their hoist...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheNorm; 05-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 01:48 AM   #10
Bidno

Quote:
See post 5 for how to. And no, I would not have designed this way either
Old 05-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
DiogenesSinope,

That is the center jack point in the front and the 50skid video above demonstrates this perfectly well. In my opinion, what Bidno and others suggest about lifting the front by jacking up from the rear is impractical and unnecessary, and as far as I can tell is nearly impossible to raise the front any significant amount off the ground.

I have two e46's with the aluminum reinforcement plate and that is the location I use to lift the front without any problems for the last 2 years. Directly above that rectangle area is the subframe itself and if you remove the reinforcement plate and inspect it you will see the overall integrity of the chassis plate is not affected, there is merely some superficial deformity underneath where the saddle makes contact. Moreover, this deformity is not progressive -- in other words it does not continue everytime you lift the car, it happens the first few times and that is it.

EDIT, with pictures:
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46, front jack point on chassis plate 1.jpg.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	747228 Click image for larger version

Name:	E46, front jack point on chassis plate 2.jpg.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	747230

The nay sayers have strongly held opinions on this, but you will also find plenty who do use that spot as a jack point and without problems. If there really was an issue with using the reinforcement plate as a center jack point it would have been revealed at this point. Just use common sense and, like using any other jack point, don't get under the car without supporting it on jack stands placed under the side jack points.

Last edited by LeverThis; 06-26-2018 at 12:53 AM.
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #12
LeverThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
BMW intended you take it to the dealer to use their hoist...
Wouldn't be surprised ...
Old 05-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #13
DiogenesSinope

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeverThis View Post
DiogenesSinope,

That is the center jack point in the front and the 50skid video above demonstrates this perfectly well. In my opinion, what Bidno and others suggest about lifting the front by jacking up from the rear is impractical and unnecessary, and as far as I can tell is nearly impossible to raise the front any significant amount off the ground.

I have two e46's with the aluminum reinforcement plate and that is the location I use to lift the front without any problems for the last 2 years. Directly above that rectangle area is the subframe itself and if you remove the reinforcement plate and inspect it you will see the overall integrity of the chassis plate is not affected, there is merely some superficial deformity underneath where the saddle makes contact. Moreover, this deformity is not progressive -- in other words it does not continue everytime you lift the car, it happens the first few times and that is it.

The nay sayers have strongly held opinions on this, but you will also find plenty who do use that spot as a jack point and without problems. If there really was an issue with using the reinforcement plate as a center jack point it would have been revealed at this point. Just use common sense and, like using any other jack point, don't get under the car without supporting it on jack stands placed under the side jack points.
Thanks. This pretty much sums up my sentiments on the issue, too. It's pretty alarming to hear that this might not be the jack point when I've used it as one, but the other way just doesn't make sense. It's just the pragmatic thing to do. Since starting this thread I have used it as one and had no problems.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:43 PM   #14
LeverThis

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedro2u View Post
Fyi, no rubber pad is missing from the chassis plate, that's how its supposed to look. As for using a block of wood to protect the aluminum, not sure that's a good idea in case the wood could slip off the aluminum. The metal to metal contact between the floor jack saddle and the reinforcement plate is actually pretty "grippy" and secure. Again, the deformity is not progressive.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #15
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidno View Post
Never seen anywhere that bmw states this is jack point. Don't believe it is. Believe issue lies with many thinking it is based on initial/undamaged appearance.

OP, don't believe you should have issue but might want to stop jacking this way. Safest approach is to use designated jack points. To get front onto jack stands, use a floor jack under the rear jack pad and raise until you can place stand under the front pad. Then lower floor jack and repeat on the other side. GL
Doesn't matter what you believe. That point is a designated jacking point as per BMW: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...w-away/I4dKEaO
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:49 PM   #16
LeverThis

Quote:
Thanks. This pretty much sums up my sentiments on the issue, too. It's pretty alarming to hear that this might not be the jack point when I've used it as one, but the other way just doesn't make sense. It's just the pragmatic thing to do. Since starting this thread I have used it as one and had no problems.
Nice, glad you made it work. It's definitely alarming but I also understand why one would hesitate to use that spot. Most important thing is using common sense, proceeding very carefuly and doublechecking things, and always use jack stand before going under.

Cheers!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:01 AM   #17
Bidno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Doesn't matter what you believe. That point is a designated jacking point as per BMW: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...w-away/I4dKEaO
Might read again?

Quote:
Warning!
Vehicles without jacking points (located in the middle of the front axle carrier) must not be raised or moved with the trolley jack!
Pretty clear not all BMWs have center jack point. Not sure what else I might say. It's your car, do as you choose. However, if using as center jack point don't be surprised if crushes. But doesn't appear to be big deal. Or spend extra minutes to jack as noted above - which works just fine. Your call

Last edited by Bidno; 05-26-2018 at 01:31 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:18 AM   #18
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2018 M240i
I recommend that you do not use the re-enforcement panel as a jacking point. Why? Itís aluminum and you donít want to deform it in any way, shape or form.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:37 AM   #19
SeanC

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bidno View Post
Might read again?

Pretty clear not all BMWs have center jack point. Not sure what else I might say. It's your car, do as you choose. However, if using as center jack point don't be surprised if crushes. But doesn't appear to be big deal. Or spend extra minutes to jack as noted above - which works just fine. Your call
Not all, but e46s do. That information I linked is directly from the e46 TIS. We're talking e46s on this forum, right? The fact that the center jack point might crash doesn't have anything to do with it not being a center jack point.
Alpine WhiteCoral RedAluminum f30 328i Sportline/6MT
Imola RedBlackBlack Aluminum e46 330i ZHP/6MT

Last edited by SeanC; 05-27-2018 at 09:37 AM.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
Bidno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Not all, but e46s do. That information I linked is directly from the e46 TIS. We're talking e46s on this forum, right? The fact that the center jack point might crash doesn't have anything to do with it not being a center jack point.
If the TIS is E46 specific, then it would be saying even more specifically that not all E46s have center jack point, yes?

The 320i , for example, using tubular steel reinforcement does indeed have a front center jack point. However, the newer formed aluminum reinforcement plate covers the previous jack spot on the front axle carrier; so cars with the formed aluminum plate do not. And crushing of the aluminum reinforcement plate should further confirm.

Of course, this is all academic as most will continue as before. And it's okay to disagree. However, pretty convinced above is correct, and this TIS seems only to confirm. Enjoy!

Quote:
Warning!
Vehicles without jacking points (located in the middle of the front axle carrier) must not be raised or moved with the trolley jack!