Touring heavy duty springs - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Touring

E46 Touring
The E46 touring forum. Talk about your sport wagon E46 here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
2Dog325iT

My Ride: 2002 325iT
Touring heavy duty springs

Greetings all,

Please inform me to use the search function if I've missed posts around here!

My question is from your experience, what springs have yielded the best dynamics on your touring, autocross through cross country trips are all on the docket for my touring.

I'm looking for a bit more height in the rear. I really dig the e30 stance where its a bit haunched. I'm currently on 17" rims, sport suspension, and Sachs Advantage (ZHP) struts and shocks. I like the look of H&R sport springs ride height, but haven't seen anything touring specific on their performance and ride height.

Cheers!
2Dog325iT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:31 PM   #2
yjsaabman

My Ride: '03 325i Touring
Firstly what are the specs on your touring? Rwd or awd? Sport suspension or standard? That can play a roll in the suspension offerings.

H&R does offer touring specific springs from looking on their website, though when I purchased one of their supposedly touring specific cup kits from Tire Rack many years I would up with the standard e46 race spring part number springs. I have no complaints on ride quality, actually, but it does tend to sit a touch low in the rear. This can be addressed by using the thicker 15mm spring pads from an awd model vs the standard 5mm spring pads.

These springs are also borderline too low. But if you are already on sport suspension, the race springs are the only ones that go lower. If you don't want to go much lower than sport height, go with some H&R sport springs, or some Eibach Pro Kit springs.

FYI my race springs are currently paired with some Koni yellow adjustable struts and shocks. The dampers provided with the H&R full kit ride well, but aren't the longest lasting vs the cost.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited by yjsaabman; 02-15-2020 at 06:57 AM.
yjsaabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #3
2Dog325iT

wow thank you for that information!

mine is a 325iT (rwd) with sport springs. I'm thinking h&r sport (don't want much lower) with 15mm spacers on the rear is the way to go.

so helpful to hear your real world experience as opposed to endless google image searches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 06:27 AM   #4
mjweimer

My Ride: 2001 325iT
As usual yjsaabman has nailed it. The easiest way to raise the rear is with the thicker spring pads.

Blatant advertisement: My Eibach Pro-kit springs and Bilstein sport dampers should still be down in Austin at George Hill's shop. These were removed from my touring during the full M3 conversion and are in great shape. The springs have just over 12k miles and the Bilsteins have about 50k miles. I have no use for the parts and would love for them to be used by someone = I would sell the set for very reasonable money (especially since they don't need shipped).

This is the car on those springs/dampers prior to the swap:

This should give you a good idea of the ride height with the stock spring pads.

Message me via the forum if you have any interest and we can talk further.

MJ
mjweimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:33 AM   #5
2Dog325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post
As usual yjsaabman has nailed it. The easiest way to raise the rear is with the thicker spring pads.

Blatant advertisement: My Eibach Pro-kit springs and Bilstein sport dampers should still be down in Austin at George Hill's shop. These were removed from my touring during the full M3 conversion and are in great shape. The springs have just over 12k miles and the Bilsteins have about 50k miles. I have no use for the parts and would love for them to be used by someone = I would sell the set for very reasonable money (especially since they don't need shipped).

This is the car on those springs/dampers prior to the swap:

This should give you a good idea of the ride height with the stock spring pads.

Message me via the forum if you have any interest and we can talk further.

MJ
I saw that touring at George's shop. Was awestruck for a minute there. Never seen an e46 that clean in my life. I'll message you for sure, cheers!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:50 AM   #6
Dave

My Ride: 323,330,M3,M3,M3
I put a set of the M3 Eibach springs on the rear of my car, which has a nice fresh set of Bilstein shocks on it. It rides really nicely, and with the Xi 15mm pads, you'd definitely be at the height you want.

That said... I'm a big fan of the flat ride principle of having a very wide gap between front and rear spring rates, and my thinking is that ultimately I'd want to pick up a set of coilover rears with the spring height adjuster, and then go with a very high spring rate TCK rear coil. I think that plus a standard shock/spring combo like Koni/H&R (or Eibach or whoever) up front could be the optimal setup for these cars. And I may well yank out my convertible's rear Ohlin springs and adjusters (the spring rate on those is 628 and they're progressive) just to do some experimentation.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:19 PM   #7
2Dog325iT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I put a set of the M3 Eibach springs on the rear of my car, which has a nice fresh set of Bilstein shocks on it. It rides really nicely, and with the Xi 15mm pads, you'd definitely be at the height you want.

That said... I'm a big fan of the flat ride principle of having a very wide gap between front and rear spring rates, and my thinking is that ultimately I'd want to pick up a set of coilover rears with the spring height adjuster, and then go with a very high spring rate TCK rear coil. I think that plus a standard shock/spring combo like Koni/H&R (or Eibach or whoever) up front could be the optimal setup for these cars. And I may well yank out my convertible's rear Ohlin springs and adjusters (the spring rate on those is 628 and they're progressive) just to do some experimentation.
Thats super interesting, I do allot of hauling over 100 lbs I'm excited to see what the difference with the eibach/bilstein will be as a step one (yes I'm totally buying Matt's old setup and can't wait to get it on the car). lmk if you ever throw those vert rear springs on and what changes rear end wise when you do!