Question for the Suspension Guru Members - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Question for the Suspension Guru Members

I want to get a set of Bilstein B8 front struts from ECS Tuning and have a question for those who have done this conversion. Do the struts come with bump stops under the boots? I can't find anything in my research and was wondering what I need to order. TIA

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	790929  

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
Salony

My Ride: E46 330d M-Sport
Year: 2003
Model: E46
Transmission: Manual
Mine came with them but it was several years ago, I also have asked about bump stops. I think better way just call to ECS and double check ... It will be easier and faster.
Salony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:19 PM   #3
KlausH79

My Ride: 2001 325ti
Question for the Suspension Guru Members

Hey. The damper is inverted and the bumpstops are integrated into the strut itself so no need for any to be mounted.

http://brazeauracing.com/photos/bumpstop02.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by KlausH79; 12-30-2019 at 04:19 PM.
KlausH79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausH79 View Post
Hey. The damper is inverted and the bumpstops are integrated into the strut itself so no need for any to be mounted.

http://brazeauracing.com/photos/bumpstop02.jpg

Awesome information Klaus. That is exactly what I needed to know. Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bumpstop02.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	790949  

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-30-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #5
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Thanks again guys, I ordered the set from ECS Tuning. They should be here when I get back from Daytona and Sebring in 2 weeks. I look forward to getting them installed, I noticed on my current struts the bump stops had disintegrated.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...506-slash-7kt/

One last question, I am considering H&R 21mm rear and 27mm front sway bars and would like some knowledge from those who may have gone with these sizes on how it will change the ride as a street car. I realize the chassis roll will be reduced but will the ride be harsh or stiffer in normal street driving conditions?

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-30-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:01 AM   #6
KlausH79

My Ride: 2001 325ti
Glad to help.

Sway bars do nothing to the ride quality when driving in a straight line. Itís when you start turning and the car leans on the suspension that you feel the difference.

KlausH79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausH79 View Post
Glad to help.

Sway bars do nothing to the ride quality when driving in a straight line. It's when you start turning and the car leans on the suspension that you feel the difference.

Thank you again for your time to respond Klaus. I understand how the increased sway bar will work in cornering, I do race cars for a living as an engineer but in a straight line, a bump in the road or movement on say the left side will ultimately transfer more of that movement to the right side because of the increased anti roll bar size. (One side goes up, it will pull the other side up with it)

So I guess what I want to know for those that have gone with the 21mm and 27mm larger bars, did you feel a degradation in ride quality in normal street surface driving.

The last thing I want to do is throw $500 at H&R sway bars only to find out I should have left them stock.

No Fear

Last edited by Overboost; 12-31-2019 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
ECSTuning

My Ride: BMW
My old E46 wagon I ran our ECS bars (27mm front 21mm rear) paired with Koni Shocks and H&R Springs. Ride on the street was fantastic, very reactive in the corners while being comfortable on the highways. Ride quality on normal communicating was little to no difference before and after sway bars.

-James

Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
800.924.5172 |

|
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuning View Post
My old E46 wagon I ran our ECS bars (27mm front 21mm rear) paired with Koni Shocks and H&R Springs. Ride on the street was fantastic, very reactive in the corners while being comfortable on the highways. Ride quality on normal communicating was little to no difference before and after sway bars.

-James
Perfect James, looks like I will be spending some more money with you when I get back from Daytona and Sebring. I have the H&R springs so the H&R sways just make sense although they are a couple hundred more than your ECS set.

Good to know the ride won't suffer so I'm all in. I got a shipping notification from you guys this morning on the Bilstein B8 front struts, they get here Friday but I'm not back until the 14th. Not sure if I can get the wife to install them while I'm gone...

No Fear