386,000 and also an F30 - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #21
Kneedspeed

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Vert
Year: 2001
Transmission: manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
But, I'm probably selling it back to bmw as part of the buyback program through the takata airbag recall. If a local fanatic wants to buy it and collect all my leftover parts from 14 years of ownership, let me know. It runs perfectly, except there's an airbag recall, and the airbag might underinflate or send metal shards through your head. Probably not a good idea to sell it, to tell you the truth.

I just got a 2016 340i xDrive. Had to go turbo and might as well get the power...just to get a manual with heated sports seats and blutooth connection to my phone.

It's black on black...not my favorite, but I'll deal with it.
I may have missed another thread that said you wanted a coupay/sedan..Otherwise, for the same turbo B58 engine, why not a 435i (F32)?

To each his own, but meh for me on a turbo, unless it's TWIN-turbo'd...

Congrats though!

Last edited by Kneedspeed; 01-21-2020 at 12:02 PM.
Kneedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:59 AM   #22
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Wow, congrats on the new car. I didn't think you'd ever stop driving your E46, but if there was ever a reason to I suppose shards of airbag housing getting blasted into your face is as good as any.

I rolled 307,000 on my '04 sedan the other day and commented to my wife that I'd probably never have as many miles as this guy dmax who posts on the BMW forums. I guess 386k is the number to beat.

I think we'd all love to see some pics of the new ride as well as the green machine as she currently sits.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #23
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mark_D View Post
I rolled 307,000 on my '04 sedan the other day and commented to my wife that I'd probably never have as many miles as this guy dmax who posts on the BMW forums. I guess 386k is the number to beat.
there exists an E46 with yet more mileage, owned by someone on this very forum
Old 01-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #24
dmax

My Ride: '16 340i xD 6-spd
Year: 16
Model: 340i
Transmission: 6-spd
KBurger has over 1,000,000 KMs, so it's not registering above his 6xx,xxx miles. He is my hero!

FYI, my car burns maybe 2-4 qts. over its 15,000 oci.

This car gets, they say a 11,000 mile oci, with a 0/20 oil. I feel horrible putting something that thin into it, but I'll need to get over it. I used to love putting 20/50 in my '92 325i for the summer. It loved it. This thing, I hope, is designed to spin freely! Twin Turbos, so I don't want them breaking.

My friend mechanic says 5,000 miles for an oci. I think I will probably do the first one soon, despite the selling shop saying it did it. We'll see soon enough! Hope I'm able to change it by myself, that's all I can say! I think with the xDrive it sits high enough for me to crawl under on my 2.25" ramps. I believe this is on a slightly lower suspension. We'll see.

Already I've fixed the front lighter fuse, which isn't labeled clearly on my 'universal' fuse panel diagram. PO had two pennies stuck in the bottom of it.

I've got a lot of reading up to do on this computer on wheels. It might even back into a parking spot for me, though perhaps not with the manual. Have yet to play with that. Pics will arrive when I get it outside!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
See Facebook for upcoming shows...and listen to my podcast!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
Spannerhead

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Twin Turbos, so I don't want them breaking.
Just the one turbo unless you got the S58...

Quote:
Already I've fixed the front lighter fuse, which isn't labeled clearly on my 'universal' fuse panel diagram. PO had two pennies stuck in the bottom of it.
That doesn't inspire confidence... Hopefully no more surprises!

Current:

Past BMWs:

Past Other: '85 GSL-SE '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S '85 RX-7 GSL
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
///Mark_D

My Ride: 04 325i & 02 325iT
Quote:
KBurger has over 1,000,000 KMs, so it's not registering above his 6xx,xxx miles. He is my hero!
AH yeah I remember reading through that thread. He's now logging his miles with an aftermarket scan tool or something since the cluster has maxed out? That's just a ridiculous number of miles.

I'm not sure how far I'll take mine... rust has just recently started bubbling through in a few spots so I'm just keeping an eye on how fast it spreads.

(Previous user name mjdehlin)
///Mark_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:37 PM   #27
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
Just the one turbo unless you got the S58...

That doesn't inspire confidence... Hopefully no more surprises!
It says "Twin Power Turbo" on the engine cover, so guess it is just one Turbo. I think someone said it was a twin scroll turbo...one inside another sort of thing I think.

So far, it's only been a burned fuse--apparently PO didn't bother checking the fuse, or he wanted it blown, since it's right between two cup holders. At least these cupholders are in front of the stick.

It is like driving a computer. I could race-ish in it...can pull up hp and torque dials on the console, and Sport + lets me turn off all traction stuff. No idea if it changes the suspension at all, and no idea why I need 'modes' with a manual, but I have them. Eco mode in this car is silly--the motor will turn off at a stop. Scared me the first time.

I think it weight 3600 lbs, but it still feels quick. I haven't opened it up fully but for little bits...but I miss my E46 gearing. I could see being in 4th driving on the dangerous highways of NJ... Eco mode 'wants' me in two higher gears than my ear tells me is right for this motor to hum.

Last edited by dmax; 01-21-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #28
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
Quote:
Also, I'd appreciate advice. I don't know what to do with my green car. I already miss it. I've emptied it out, but it's worth more than $2,200...to me. Clearly not to anyone else but BMW. I 'could' keep it on the driveway...maybe work on it leisurely in garage? But, I got the new car so I wouldn't 'have' to work on a car for a while, at least. I should probably give it up...maybe go through some sort of ceremony? Any suggestions for readings, music, strange heathen rituals? Love you guys...you've gotten me through a lot with both car repair and life. Some of the best laughs, I've had from some of you...mostly from my beagle phase. xoxo
My only advice is don't do what I did which is nothing! I bought my new car mostly because I needed a four door and wanted something bigger than my coupe. I ended up doing nothing with my old car, unless you count doing repairs and maintenance! My E46 2000 328ci sits most of the time now four years after I bought my F10 2011 535i. I think I just like driving the E46 so much that I don't want to sell it. It feels so much more connected to the road. My 535i is my daily and winter driver and I drive the 328ci on nice days. The F10 is super comfy and really shines at speed on the highway and the E46 is more fun in the twisties. The new engine learning curve is not too bad but yes everything is a little more complicated than the old one. Changing the VCG or spark plugs required removal of more fasteners and was a little more time consuming on my F10.

IxNay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 PM   #29
Spannerhead

Two whole days and still no pics of this unicorn... I'm about to call

....just kidding. Still---where is she?

Current:

Past BMWs:

Old 01-22-2020, 08:53 PM   #30
BaliDawg
DEADBEEF BAADF00D

My Ride: E39 E46 E84
Quote:
I don't know what to do with my green car. I already miss it.
Ummm...I think you know what you have to do.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/MONTANA-...4594/304354586

BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:03 PM   #31
dmax

Pics are coming. I'm old so it's not so easy for me.

...and it looks like my E46 is going to bmw. I can't imagine anyone in private sale would give me $2,300 for it...or $2,000 from a fanatic...who'd also get all my spare parts...it's quite a collection now!

I know it will need a timing chain soon-ish, but I thought that about my clutch for years...still original...so that will need replacing. It's had a ding in the front and rear...all repaired without serious consequences. It's got 386,000 miles on it. I can't see anyone in their right mind buying it unless they're really inspired by my Fern Green tales.

It'll need a new steering rack too. Not for the faint of heart. I wish someone would breathe another life into it. Hmmmm? KBurger got ripped off by his insurance company...has a totalled bmw. I'd be proud to have you carry on with it, and compared to your car, your SO will think she's your queen.

Seriously, though, $2,000 from anyone here. It runs perfectly now...four bad wheel, two new tires, new-ish muffler, VCG done recently. Rear main seal leak. Working cassette player, four broken bass speakers.

Everything electronic works--windows, doors, sunroof, heated seats. Two tiny, abated rust spots. You'll probably want a new steering rack.

Ugh...hate to think of where it'll go, but if you want it, I have to think there's something seriously wrong with you! Did I mention the airbag/claymore mine?

Hold your E46s close, folks. I'm already missing mine.

Also, have to say, I hate the gearing on this 340i. Cruising around town 25-40, it 'wants' me up in 5th, though I stay in third (and turned off the car's instructions on how to shift!) Turning radius of 3' more is also something I'll have to get used to. Fn takata!

Old 01-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #32
malapane

My Ride: E46 M3, 325iT & F30
Congrats I think, even though you went a very different route.

I have a 2016 F30 also, bought it new, but mine has the little engine. I love it except for the steering, but mine is RWD sport. Can't say how you are going to like the suspension on the awd. You probably don't have the adaptive suspension option...? I am very curious to hear your thoughts after spending some time with it.

It is certainly a much, much faster car.

You are right about the size. It feels about the same size as my E60 550i

My first recommendation for you though is to ditch the runflat tires for a good traditional set with better road manners. I would be happy to provide input here if you would like suggestions. This changed the car completely for me.

Oh, the forum for F30s sucks. Just a bunch of fools spouting garbage with little idea about cars. Just talk about digital dashboards, leasing, warranties, black kidney grilles. I can't go in there anymore as it takes just a couple threads to get me triggered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160609_182335 - Copy.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	792099  

Last edited by malapane; 01-23-2020 at 08:16 AM.
malapane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:17 AM   #33
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapane View Post
Congrats I think, even though you went a very different route.

I have a 2016 F30 also, bought it new, but mine has the little engine. I love it except for the steering, but mine is RWD sport. Can't say how you are going to like the suspension on the awd. You probably don't have the adaptive suspension option...? I am very curious to hear your thoughts after spending some time with it.

It is certainly a much, much faster car.

You are right about the size. It feels about the same size as my E60 550i

My first recommendation for you though is to ditch the runflat tires for a good traditional set with better road manners. I would be happy to provide input here if you would like suggestions.

Oh, the forum for F30s sucks. Just a bunch of fools spouting garbage with little idea about cars. Just talk about digital dashboards, leasing, warranties, black kidney grilles. I can't go in there anymore as it takes just a couple threads to get me triggered.
I just started looking for a forum, especially since Bentley hasn't put the 2016 in yet. Hopefully things won't start breaking until it comes out with its next edition. I can't imagine many with this car will be doing their own work, at least not for a few more years. I'm not looking forward to learning a new engine.

Pics coming when I get it outside today!

Old 01-23-2020, 08:44 AM   #34
malapane

Quote:
I just started looking for a forum, especially since Bentley hasn't put the 2016 in yet. Hopefully things won't start breaking until it comes out with its next edition. I can't imagine many with this car will be doing their own work, at least not for a few more years. I'm not looking forward to learning a new engine.

Pics coming when I get it outside today!
I have about 44 months and somewhere over 42k miles on mine so far. It is our families primary driver and so far I have not had one single failure. Just routine maintenance. This has been the best initial quality of any new car I have owned.

Oil change is similarly easy to E46, although I have only done once or twice as it is still under it's 4 year 50k service program.
Old 01-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #35
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by malapane View Post
I have about 44 months and somewhere over 42k miles on mine so far. It is our families primary driver and so far I have not had one single failure. Just routine maintenance. This has been the best initial quality of any new car I have owned.

Oil change is similarly easy to E46, although I have only done once or twice as it is still under it's 4 year 50k service program.
I hate to ask this, but what oil do you use? I saw 0/20 on my oil cap, but the manual gives a few oil weights. I also, honestly, can't find the fill capacity in the Owner's Manual.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #36
malapane

Quote:
I hate to ask this, but what oil do you use? I saw 0/20 on my oil cap, but the manual gives a few oil weights. I also, honestly, can't find the fill capacity in the Owner's Manual.
I use Liqui Moly 5w-30, 5 liters, but I have the N20 2.0L turbo 4 cylinder.

But you have the B58 I believe, so looks like 6.5 liters of 5w-30 or 5w-40 for you. Liqui Moly has a few options for you, I think I would go with Longtime High Tech - about $36 to $39 for 5 Liters

Iv'e used Castrol in my E46s, but since they changed from Syntec to Edge, the US Edge on the shelf no longer covers the EU cars like the Syntec did. Shoot, it's probably fine to use Amazon Basics full synthetic, but is so convoluted it gets pretty irritating.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...B58_Engine_oil

And this doesn't make it any less frustrating.

All the oils Liqui Moly recommends on their EU website for this engine are BMW longlife 01 or 04. I don't see the longlife 14 mentioned. I would likely still use the Longtime High Tech in my car, but perhaps more investigation isn't a bad idea.

Last edited by malapane; 01-23-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #37
Kneedspeed

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Vert
Year: 2001
Transmission: manual
Quote:
It says "Twin Power Turbo" on the engine cover, so guess it is just one Turbo. I think someone said it was a twin scroll turbo...one inside another sort of thing I think.
"Twin Power Turbo" is a marketing name thought up by the "geniuses" at BMW. There's only one turbo but it's a "twin-scroll," as you say. That means there are two sets of exhaust runners, each coming out of half of the cylinders. When the cylinders are fired in sequence, the gases escape down each runner in alternating fashion to the turbo. Because combustion is not a continuous process but more "lumpy," the alternating action keeps the turbo prop spinning more continuously, thereby eliminating turbo lag.

Eliminating turbo lag is the main reason for twin turbos, so this twin-scroll design mimicks the twin turbo, but is ~15% (according to BMW) more energy efficient than a twin turbo.

What's confusing from BMW is they also brand their S58 with "Twin Power" but this is a true bi-turbo inline-6.

What's super dumb from BMW is they put the S58 in the X3 M but only gave the Supra a B58!

Last edited by Kneedspeed; 01-23-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Kneedspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #38
dmax

Pics. It 'did' happen. Sorry it happened sideways again! They're right side up in my phone...why never here?

Anyway, they both do have amazing lateral traction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_105436[1].jpg
Views:	59
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	792181   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_105452[1].jpg
Views:	60
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	792183   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_105504[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	792185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200123_105520[1].jpg
Views:	56
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	792187  

Last edited by dmax; 01-23-2020 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 06:02 PM   #39
Spannerhead

Black kidneys on a black car! Run away!

J/k Doug. Looks great! Also, pics of stickshift or it didn't happen.

Current:

Past BMWs:

Old 01-23-2020, 06:46 PM   #40
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Transmission: Autotragic
Paint the kidneys Fern Green!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Are you getting hot air no matter where you set your A/C in your E46? Check out this ancient thread! Chime in with your experience:
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote