2000 328i sport with subframe tearing - options to sell? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2020, 04:15 PM   #1
mejaglovin

2000 328i sport with subframe tearing - options to sell?

At 170k I've finally been afflicted with the dreaded subframe tearing. Boooo. Pics below in link:

https://imgur.com/a/zUcGDmd

Has anyone had luck selling E46's in this condition? I was planning to sell it anyway before this happened, due to a move & job change. The car is in immaculate condition in the interior, and was running nicely otherwise. Since I will need to sell the car in the next 6 months potentially, I'm not excited about spending thousands just to find I need more than just reinforcement plates.

I'm in the US Pacific NW. Is there any market for people buying these cars to part out? Or even repair? Any sites/forums where people have had luck selling E46's like this that are in otherwise great condition? Or is a junkuard/donating my best option?_a_
mejaglovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
Solidjake
Shifting

My Ride: 2013 328i 6MT
Honestly donating would be best. With the miles on the car/year even with a good subframe it might be worth less than 2k. Second comes a moral value. Would you tell the potential buyer it's torn? I doubt anyone would proceed to buy the car after knowing that due to the cost of repair which it will need so the rear doesn't fall apart as they're driving.

Donate it and save some money for taxes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

-
-

Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 09:55 AM   #3
Phillipjfry

My Ride: 98 Z71 Silverado
Sell it, disclose nothing.

I'm kidding. Donate it to a worthy cause that has low overhead operational expenses.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited by Phillipjfry; 01-16-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Phillipjfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
You have nothing to lose by putting up a CL ad and being honest about the issue.

If the car is cosmetically in excellent shape, clean title, no accidents, etc. then you might get lucky and find someone looking for a cheap project car to take it off your hands.

And if that doesn't work, then donating it is a good second option (just do your homework as many nonprofits are BS, sadly).

Parting out can recoup a good chunk of change, but that takes time and effort - frankly, not worth it, IMHO, especially if you are moving in 6 months.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Knight; 01-16-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:36 AM   #5
mejaglovin

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice! Good to know I shouldn't expect much from a sale. I'll definitely disclose - don't want to end up on the wrong side of karma

I'll probably list it from something <$1k on craigslist and see what happens, and donate if no bites (to a legit charity).

Sad to see her go, but I guess getting from 90k to 170k was a good run. And thanks to the community here I've gained more sidewalk wrenching skills than I ever thought possible.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:54 AM   #6
smolck

My Ride: 2003 330ci (manual)
worth a lot more if you part it out. but that takes a lot of time and energy

Check my Youtube channel for DIY's and fun stuff

smolck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:10 AM   #7
mejaglovin

Yeah I unfortunately don't have the time in the next few months to deal with parting out. But I'll suggest that in the craigslist post, since most parts are in such great condition.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Phillipjfry

My Ride: 98 Z71 Silverado
I'll give you 48 bucks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Phillipjfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #9
mejaglovin

Update - was able to sell for $1200 (with full disclosure of the problem). Since the rest of the car was in great condition it seemed like there was local interest in it. So if anyone else has a similar situation, there's hope! Since I take the standard tax deduction I thought I'd try craigslist just to see. Anyway I'm glad it's going to get some good continued use. It's going to a family with access to a lift so they'll have the time to fix it up cheaply.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejaglovin View Post
Update - was able to sell for $1200 (with full disclosure of the problem). Since the rest of the car was in great condition it seemed like there was local interest in it. So if anyone else has a similar situation, there's hope! Since I take the standard tax deduction I thought I'd try craigslist just to see. Anyway I'm glad it's going to get some good continued use. It's going to a family with access to a lift so they'll have the time to fix it up cheaply.
This is the best outcome. Glad to hear it worked out.

|
|
|
|
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
Overboost
//Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Wonderful outcome. You ended up on the right side of karma.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The older I get... The faster I was...
No Fear

Overboost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 12:12 PM   #12
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejaglovin View Post
on the sale.

sorry this defect in BMW engineering caused this in the first place. but 20 years and 170K miles isn't too bad.

OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL RACK - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAV- BMWP CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC S/S LINES, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 AM   #13
Alex323Ci
OEM ///PLUS

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
wondering how much BMW is paying to buy these early cars back from owners?

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showth...7#post18705687
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:25 AM   #14
mejaglovin

Damn, wish I had known about this new recall last week! But from an environmental and "automotive-animist" standpoint , I feel much happier knowing my car will be running free and happy on a metaphorical "farm with a family who will love it". I wouldn't be happy knowing it was unceremoniously crushed by BMW.

Last edited by mejaglovin; 01-22-2020 at 09:29 AM.

Tags
328i, e46, subframe, tearing