Suspension question - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #21
fanatichuman

My Ride: 2001 e46 330xi
That's a yes to both

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk
fanatichuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:00 PM   #22
Brewtus79

My Ride: M3 Vert, 330xi, X5
Year: 2002
Model: M3, 330xi, F15 X5
Transmission: 6 spd manuals
Mine definitely didnt have the front reinforcement plates preinstalled. It only has one locating tab per side. Both old locators were silver in color vs black.

I was able to get reinforcement plates for the rear, but they were after market. They looked like they were gold/zinc plated IIRC.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brewtus79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:54 AM   #23
MrMCar

My Ride: E30M3 Track Car
As noted you have the reinforcement plates installed. Those fit every E46 out there according to "part use" (application lookup within my factory version ETK.) from a 316Ci M43 all the way up to a 330Xi touring ECE.

Do yourself a favor and replace the front strut mounts as well.
Do yourself an additional favor and remove the pesky assembly pins (rounded 3mm allen head things) at the top before installing the strut assemblies back in the car. Noting the orientation of where the pin WAS and place it to match up with the hole on the strut tower.

When you get a wheel alignment, the shop will be able to easily make any camber adjustments (within factory provisions of +/- .5) to bring the two front camber near to each other.
MrMCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #24
fanatichuman

My Ride: 2001 e46 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMCar View Post
As noted you have the reinforcement plates installed. Those fit every E46 out there according to "part use" (application lookup within my factory version ETK.) from a 316Ci M43 all the way up to a 330Xi touring ECE.

Do yourself a favor and replace the front strut mounts as well.

Do yourself an additional favor and remove the pesky assembly pins (rounded 3mm allen head things) at the top before installing the strut assemblies back in the car. Noting the orientation of where the pin WAS and place it to match up with the hole on the strut tower.

When you get a wheel alignment, the shop will be able to easily make any camber adjustments (within factory provisions of +/- .5) to bring the two front camber near to each other.
Thanks, can you clarify how you put the stut mount back without the pin?
Cheers

fanatichuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
VpointVick

My Ride: '03 325iT Mysticblau
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanatichuman View Post
Thanks, can you clarify how you put the stut mount back without the pin?
Cheers

I marked around the location of the strut mount nuts with a Sharpie and then put my new ones back there on reassembly.
VpointVick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 10:02 PM   #26
LeverThis

My Ride: 2004 325i automagic
Quote:
Originally Posted by VpointVick View Post
I marked around the location of the strut mount nuts with a Sharpie and then put my new ones back there on reassembly.
And then you get an alignment, right? For the short drive to the shop you just need to get close, not spot on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:

20mm OD x 12mm ID x 4mm W : Viton O-Ring
3/4" OD x 1/2"ID x 1/16" Thick : Thrust Bearing/Washer
LeverThis is offline   Reply With Quote