The comfortability of my E46 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
Darius_E46

My Ride: 200/ 330i
The comfortability of my E46

Hi guys, so I purchased this car recently, it's a 2001 330. (Month or so ago I purchased it)

http://imgur.com/N8desrK

It's my first BMW and is in good shape. It's been serviced regularly and all that goodness. I changed fluids, battery, spark plugs etc.

What I *would like* to know is, are there any if at all many good spring/shock combos that will give me slightly better performance cornering wise? As it's a great car I just want to eliminate as much body roll as possible (IF Possible) without sacrificing too much of the ride quality. I know sacrifices will be made in that category but I was wondering if it would be better going full coilover or spring strut combo? As I don't not need a lot of the adjustability that comes with some coilovers. And suggestions will be great!!. Any kind of criticism/suggestions are welcome. I know what I want visually with the colour being what it is so I'm pretty excited on how it'll turn out, I just want to get this stuff outta the way before I start charging the look.

Thanks in advance
-Darius.

EDIT: it's my daily as I have a young family, I already have my weekend warrior. I just want the ability to have some fun when I'm in the car by myself from time to time. I want the extra maneuverability when I'm in traffic too, but I don't want to go 'over the top' of what I actually want as I'm imagining it won't be much.

Last edited by Darius_E46; 05-31-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Darius_E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:06 AM   #2
YoitsTmac

My Ride: 01 330Ci "Mia"
I have Koni FSD's on Eibach pro kit with a 27mm front sway and my ride is comfortable enough to say it is more comfortable than her Hyundai Elantra. It actually handles big bumps well too and I can handle really well with the sway's contributing to the biggest difference. Tires go such a long way too
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

BMWCCA GGC: 530872
YoitsTmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:42 AM   #3
Darius_E46

Ok thanks for the reply il look into it and see what I think. How long have you had them installed for? Was the pricing good for the quality? Do you do much highway or open road driving?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Darius_E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archbid View Post
What suspension does your car have now? Standard or sport?
I don't think it has the sport option, I read somewhere that they were standard on coupes but optional on sedans 2001 back. Any thing past 01' were meant to come from factory with the sport suspension standard. FROM WHAT I UNDERSTOOD. I have no clue if that's true.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius_E46 View Post
Ok thanks for the reply il look into it and see what I think. How long have you had them installed for? Was the pricing good for the quality? Do you do much highway or open road driving?
8 months
I got them used with low miles for very little money. Still, I'd say so. I personally want something rougher
Not lots but enough. But my highways are butter smooth, sooo it's nice
Old 05-31-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Gmas

My Ride: '05 ZHP Coupe
Have a read through this suspension refresh post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Just reading the first post you'll see his goal was to keep the suspension relatively stock feeling, with a slight performance upgrade. You'll see after installing it all and testing, he comments "I would highly suggest this setup for anyone wanting to keep their car's ride comfortable but still agile"

Last edited by Gmas; 05-31-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Gmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:14 PM   #7
E46Envyy

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Transmission: 6spd
I'm currently running the Bilstein and H&R combo. I'd definitely recommend if you're looking for a firm ride but yet not too harsh. Theres a couple threads on this specific setup.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...ruts/29368bsc/

Cheers, Lachlan
E46Envyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 PM   #8
YoitsTmac

Said it once and I'll say it again, a fat sway bar goes a long way for handling without sacrificing comfort. And again, tires too.
|
|

Old 05-31-2017, 08:10 PM   #9
vali02

My Ride: 2002 325i Manual
I have a sedan with sport package. If you have the sport package then you'll have the 3 spoke steering wheel and the leg extension on the seats. I changed all of my ball joints and bushings all around and I'm using Koni FSD shocks. They are surprisingly comfortable. I got them because around Milwaukee the roads are pretty bad. At this point I felt my car had significant body roll so I decided to get the Hotchkis sway bar kit. The body roll on the car is very low now and it handles great! My buddy can't get over how well the car handles and how comfortable it is.

When I was looking to buy my car I remember trying out a car with the bilstein shocks and eibach springs and I walked away from it because the ride was just too stiff over city potholes. With my car I can go over bad roads without a problem.
vali02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:14 AM   #10
Darius_E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmas View Post
Have a read through this suspension refresh post:

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...miles-10-years

Just reading the first post you'll see his goal was to keep the suspension relatively stock feeling, with a slight performance upgrade. You'll see after installing it all and testing, he comments "I would highly suggest this setup for anyone wanting to keep their car's ride comfortable but still agile"
I had a quick gaze over the thread, looks promising il have a proper look later tonight after my son goes to sleep, the amount of variety and such is a bit overwhelming as he stated early on, but with more research and reading up try to narrow it down to my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Envyy View Post
I'm currently running the Bilstein and H&R combo. I'd definitely recommend if you're looking for a firm ride but yet not too harsh. Theres a couple threads on this specific setup.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-assemble...ruts/29368bsc/

Cheers, Lachlan
I've heard good things about that particular combo and have looked into it. It was a pretty high contender for what I wanted..we will see tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoitsTmac View Post
Said it once and I'll say it again, a fat sway bar goes a long way for handling without sacrificing comfort. And again, tires too.
Yeah it looks like a great way to go body roll wise. Still unsure tho as I have a lot more research to do. Tires will be a definite though reguardless, I have 235s all round but I'm gonna change it up a bit depending on what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vali02 View Post
I have a sedan with sport package. If you have the sport package then you'll have the 3 spoke steering wheel and the leg extension on the seats. I changed all of my ball joints and bushings all around and I'm using Koni FSD shocks. They are surprisingly comfortable. I got them because around Milwaukee the roads are pretty bad. At this point I felt my car had significant body roll so I decided to get the Hotchkis sway bar kit. The body roll on the car is very low now and it handles great! My buddy can't get over how well the car handles and how comfortable it is.

When I was looking to buy my car I remember trying out a car with the bilstein shocks and eibach springs and I walked away from it because the ride was just too stiff over city potholes. With my car I can go over bad roads without a problem.
Yeah I don't have sport suspension lol. Been reading a lot about the hotchkis sway bar kits and they sound a lot like what I'm looking for, a mate has the setup but he's not really happy with it for some reason, (we never went into detail as to why). Il talk to him about it tho.
------------------

Thanks guys, while I see there is a lot of variety and many different routes to go, I think il research more just so I'm sure as I don't really want to waste money and time with something il regret due to poor decision making. I just want to be 100% sure of what I want. Even with all the suggestions coming in and advice etc. I feel like pricing might be quite a deciding factor. With what route I decide to take I want to be able 'to expand' it in the later future MAYBE, when it gets retired from daily to track car.

Last edited by Darius_E46; 06-01-2017 at 03:14 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:00 AM   #11
YoitsTmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius_E46 View Post
Yeah it looks like a great way to go body roll wise. Still unsure tho as I have a lot more research to do. Tires will be a definite though reguardless, I have 235s all round but I'm gonna change it up a bit depending on what happens.
I was more so saying that the type of tire compound does a lot rather than the width. I mean surely the width will too, but you would probably need new rims and just picking the right compound from the get go is cheaper.

If you want a suspension you can "grow with," you'll probably want adjustable dampeners. A bunch of people here are happy with Koni Yellows. On the Bilstein side, there's the B6 fully adjustable dampers with a "limited lifetime warranty" which goes a long way in my opinion. That way you can keep it all mushy and soft and stiffen it up for when you're ready to change the attitude of the car. That's the route I wish I took.
|
|

Tags
330i, e46, mods, performance, suspension