Frequently Incorrect Thread Status - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions

Site Feedback/Questions/Suggestions
Do you have feedback/questions/ideas/suggestions about the site? Post them here.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #1
RayLivingston

My Ride: E46
Frequently Incorrect Thread Status

Something that is VERY annoying about this site - numerous times every day, I refresh a forum page, and it shows ALL threads are fully read - NONE are highlighted in bold font. This seems to be a random occurrence, but makes it impossible to keep track of what I have, and have not, read. Threads may, or may not, later get re-highlighted.

I'm on a Win10 PC, using Chrome. ZERO problems on any other sites. I am NOT getting logged out, and when this happens, logging out and back in again changes nothing.

Regards,
Ray L

Last edited by RayLivingston; 10-15-2018 at 11:34 AM.
RayLivingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #2
dutchhome

My Ride: 2004 330xi
I have the same problem. I use Tapatalk and E46Fanatics will show most threads as read even if I haven't looked at them. I don't have the problem with M3Forum.
dutchhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
AGAdmin
Administrator

My Ride: a car
Year: 2017
Model: a car
Transmission: good
Hey there,

I made an edit in the backend.
Can you clear your caches and cookies?
After, give this a try again and see if it's fixed now.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
AGAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:59 AM   #4
RayLivingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGAdmin View Post
Hey there,

I made an edit in the backend.
Can you clear your caches and cookies?
After, give this a try again and see if it's fixed now.

Ed
Will do.

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #5
RayLivingston

Not looking good... I cleared all data for e46fanatics.com, closed the browser tab, opened a new one. Before, there were two threads shown as unread. First, there were none. After a refresh, the two came back. There should be dozens. Even when I go down 50 pages, ALL threads show as read, and I've never gone beyond the first few pages.

Regards,
Ray L.

Last edited by RayLivingston; 10-17-2018 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
dutchhome

I suspect this is something that we will only see going forward since it likely already has marked items as read.

I should be able to determine by the end of the day if this change is working for me. I always see half the day's new messages as read when I check at night. I'll follow up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you both. I would have ignored this if it was not mentioned and just lived with it.
Old 10-17-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
RayLivingston

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchhome View Post
I suspect this is something that we will only see going forward since it likely already has marked items as read.

I should be able to determine by the end of the day if this change is working for me. I always see half the day's new messages as read when I check at night. I'll follow up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Thank you both. I would have ignored this if it was not mentioned and just lived with it.
I am cautiously optimistic you are correct. So far, it appears to be behaving properly. I'll see how it does for the rest of the day and report back.

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #8
dutchhome

Unfortunately this change did not fix the problem for me. I just checked and it is now showing everything older than 1 hour as read.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:37 PM   #9
RayLivingston

Similar result here. The above post announcing the change was made at 8:44 (per the time on the post). I cleared my cache a few minutes after 9AM. I now see NO posts prior to 1:13PM that are flagged as unread. All posts AFTER 1:13PM are correctly flagged as unread, but I expect they too will be flagged as read before long.

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
RayLivingston

Definitely NOT fixed. All but the 3 most-recent threads just went "fully read" on me...

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #11
AGAdmin
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback,

Seems like the settings didn't stick.
Gave it another go.
Do the same procedure with the caches and cookies.
If this still doesn't work, I'll get this investigated.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
RayLivingston

Caches cleared...
Old 10-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
RayLivingston

Nope, still not fixed. Just went from about a dozen un-read to three un-read on refresh.

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #14
dutchhome

It's the same for me as well. Still not made a difference :-(
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 PM   #15
dutchhome

I just checked again and I still have 3h worth of unread messages. Usually it is less than an hour. I'll check again in the morning.

Edit: never mind, it is still very much the same. Today I didn't notice the read times to be any better.

Last edited by dutchhome; 10-20-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #16
AGAdmin
Administrator

i don't seem to be having the same issue. Is there a specific section?

If you open a thread and go to the last page and then go back to the forum section, are all the unread threads unbolded?
I think there's also timing.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 11.28.28.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	758757
this for example, I've read the fantasy football thread, and that is the only one marked as read for me. BUT the ones from yesterday and before that are also all marked as read because they're older.

is that what's happening for everyone?

Lee

Old 10-22-2018, 12:02 PM   #17
RayLivingston

Lately I've had one browser tan on the General E46 forum, and another on this forum. To me, they appear to update pretty much randomly. Sometimes I'll refresh and all are shown as read. Repeat sometime later and there may be a dozen unread threads. Refresh again without opening ANY thread, and there may be three unread threads. It appears to be setting a completely arbitrary cutoff date/time, and ALL threads beyond that cutoff are flagged as read. I don't believe I've ever seen a thread flagged as unread when it was actually read, but I see the opposite countless times every day.

Regards,
Ray L.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:07 PM   #18
dutchhome

I visit a small number of forums and scan all new messages. E46Fanatics and M3Forum are the two main ones that I watch every day. I look at all messages posted rather than looking in each subforum. On M3Forum this works great - I can see quickly all posts that I haven't yet viewed or chosen to skip. When I'm done for that session I mark all posts as read.

On E46Fanatics this workflow doesn't work. When I look at all messages I can only see the most recent messages as unread. Some posts that were created since my last visit are already marked as read even though I never viewed them. On here I have to keep looking through the posts until I find something that I know I've seen before.

To give an example, I'll typically check the forum before I go to sleep. 8 hours later or so I log in and read what happened overnight because I'm tired and don't really want to get out of bed. M3Forum will show me 8 hours of unread posts. E46Fanatics will usually show me only about an hour of unread posts. The other 7 hours look like I've already viewed them even though I haven't.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:59 PM   #19
AGAdmin
Administrator

this forum's read topics are cookie based but there's also an automatic mark forum as read feature that marks it as read if the threads have not been responded to in a while.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 14.58.17.png
Views:	17
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	758769

I resaved it to 20 days to see if it changes anything

Lee

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 PM   #20
armenh7

My Ride: 2002 325i
The thing about this website is that once you visit it, it marks things as read. If I'm gonna visit the website, I check every post that I need to so then I can do whatever searching. If I were to Google "oil change diy" for example and choose e46fanatics while I'm logged in, everything else will be marked as read unless I'm either (a) logged out or (b) in private mode

PA Soft
Driver:

Program:
armenh7 is offline   Reply With Quote