Driveshaft rule clarification - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum > Spec E46 racing class forum > Spec E46 racing - rule change proposals

Spec E46 racing - rule change proposals
Spec E46 racing class rule change proposals forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
nikoror

My Ride: 328ci
Driveshaft rule clarification

Hi, i am trying to understand if we can use the 4bolt u-joint driveshaft or only the 6-bolt cv joint driveshaft is allowed? Replacing the cv is expensive and using a 4bolt diff makes swaps of the 3.46 easier. I dont think there are performance advantages either way.

Thanks,
Nik

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
nikoror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
nikoror

Driveshaft rule clarification

Maybe a picture helps. The diff on the left is original from the 330i the one on the right is a 3.46 from a z4 automatic and has the finned diff cover. Those diffs are pretty cheap on ebay and swapping the halfshaft flanges takes 10min but not so sure about swapping the driveshaft flange. Can we keep it and use an automatic driveshaft?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7035.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	764205  

Last edited by nikoror; 12-21-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
MrFabulous

My Ride: SE46 in progress
Driveshafts and the corresponding flanges are not bound by rules. If you start with an automatic car you do not have to change any of the other driveline when swapping a manual.

Swapping the drive flange is easy as well. Simplest way is to mark the nut and the shaft. Undo the nut, swap flanges and tighten until the marks line up again. Not perfect, but it works in a pinch.
MrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
nikoror

Awesome. Exactly what i was hoping for.

I thought about the same thing for the flange nut and it should be close, but was worried in case the flange thickness is slightly different

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 01-27-2019, 11:27 AM   #5
MrFabulous

My Ride: SE46 in progress
If you're building a spec car, eventually you will need to use that case for a limited slip. At that point the builder can verify the torque. That was my intent. I started with a manual car with the cv flange. Got a 3.46 off ebay and swapped flanges. Its working for now until I upgrade.
MrFabulous is offline   Reply With Quote