door locks are crazy - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 51 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 10-03-2003, 02:58 AM   #21
CarbonBlackM3

My Ride: '02 M3
Quote:
Originally posted by James330I

passenger locks will sometime not unlock at all. Click once to open my door, it unlocks. Click a second time to open all doors, I have no luck. Then i go inside and hit the unlock button. Nothing. I have to manually open the doors with the handles.
same problem for me STILL, even after they replaced some component of the door locking system. good thing the problem was able to reproduce itself at the dealer. it happens about 10% of the time...i guess i'll have to bring it in to the dealer...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:02 PM   #22
HiMiles

My Ride: 99 328i
Lock Issue

I hate to bring this back up, but we never really found out if there is a solution to this problem. I think it's a big safety issue in case of an accident where everyone besides the driver wil be trapped in the car. It's annoying and it's erratic. But lately it's been doing this a lot in my car. Does anyone know where our central lock unit is located? Is it under the gloce compartment? MiamiTopaz, I know you've had this problem for a while. Let me know what BMWNA told you regarding that issue. Thanks
HiMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #23
sirhc

My Ride: UNRELIABLE POS
OMFG guys I have this lamearse problem too. Been ignoring for about a year now

Old 03-28-2005, 05:16 PM   #24
MIAMITOPAZ

My Ride: Rieger323CI
Send a message via Yahoo to MIAMITOPAZ
guys, BMWNA told me my car did not fall TSB

6620003 OCT 03 Keyless Entry - Remote Won't Lock/Unlock Vehicle

and i found it here
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/06/00069638.html

I dont know why how else do i fight it?

i stopped caring as much because the problem "fixed itself" to a better situation than it was, dont ask me how.

Before the problem was .. my drivers side opened but not the passenger's (even if i pulled the inside handle) and since the theres no keyhole, the passenger would have to climb thru the drivers side- sux with the chicks

but one day the problem switched.. the passenger's side always opens and the drivers stays locked but i have a keyhole on my side so i use the key. no more embarassing situations with the chickies- so i live with it.

but i would love to have this fixed..

anyone else know anything...?
Old 04-19-2005, 10:58 AM   #25
AeroG

My Ride: 05 330Ci /2003.5 G35
6K on an "330Ci" and I have the problem too. Car has been in service for a week and two days. Complicated thing to fix - aye? Also for you that have experienced this anomoly, how long did it take to surface. I also noticed some of you only experience the situation with "one" door. For me it's both. Kind of embarrasing to have to roll down the windows on a new car to unlatch the door from the outside. That is something that people notice - might as well be hopping out of the window dukes of Hazzard Style

03.5 G35S IP/Willow/Sport/Aero/Aerodyn-RS/Z-tube Stillen-CAB/JL-10W3/MBquart/Explod/Pioneer
AeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #26
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
I have had this problem with my 2000 328i since a few months after I bought it. It only happens on hot days, and of course never at the dealer.

Now the warranty has expired, and it has decided to get worse. My wife is tired of having to crawl over the center console to get in the car.

Does anyone have a definitive answer on what causes this? I know the dealer is going to charge $$$.

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:51 AM   #27
nerve
I like it stock!

My Ride: 2002 325ci Jet Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I
mine's not as bad, but it's still a problem...33% of the time.

passenger locks will sometime not unlock at all. Click once to open my door, it unlocks. Click a second time to open all doors, I have no luck. Then i go inside and hit the unlock button. Nothing. I have to manually open the doors with the handles.

ofcourse, it happens when I'm using the remote. Never happens to my wife, and I'm afraid i'll look like a fool at the dealer as well
I have the same issue...

My ways of fixing it?

A> Relock the doors and try and unlock it.

or

B> get in the car.. turn it on and use the unlock button. Thats the only way it seems to open. If the car is off it won't unlock the other door.

C> Use the handles....

My gf thinks I'm crazy when I can't open the door for her. She thinks I just don't know what I'm doing, and that if the key won't unlock it, then the button inside should while the car is off (which I strongly agree it should) but it doesn't until I turn it on.
Auto/Step Trans
Sports/Prem. pkg
Tan Leatherette
nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 05:37 PM   #28
jskene

My Ride: E46 M3, K1200RS
In my case the inside door handles other than the driver's don't work. There is no way to get in or out of the car other than climbin in/out via driver's door. This happens quite frequently now in the hot weather.

Has anybody found a solution to this other than buying a new $400 door control module?

It may be related to the battery voltage, because when I stick a battery charger on the system and let the battery get to 13V, it works.

The battery is not particulalry weak though, as it starts every time.

BMW Individual Avus blue / 3-piece honeycomb grill / bimmerspinner center caps / improved H7 hi-beams / Halon extinguisher / integrated MP3 jukebox / headliner LEDs / left-foot brake pedal/ low-profile front license plate bracket
jskene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 08:25 PM   #29
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
I created this problem by accident, when I misrouted the "Bowden cable" that runs from the inside handle to the opening device at the edge of the door. If the cable is nisrouted it tensions the opening device and you can't open the door at all. Then I rerouted the cable and the problem went away. The correct routing is to go through the hole by the airbag nearest the hinge side.

So, to reason by analogy, if your cable is too short and/or hangs up inside your door, you can't open your door. Try this and see if it helps. Maybe buy a new cable if the routing looks correct, but note, you can't see when the cable is too short because it always looks ok. The tension-problem is not perceptible but the results are. Good luck.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:53 AM   #30
byunts

My Ride: '06 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskene
In my case the inside door handles other than the driver's don't work. There is no way to get in or out of the car other than climbin in/out via driver's door. This happens quite frequently now in the hot weather.

Has anybody found a solution to this other than buying a new $400 door control module?

It may be related to the battery voltage, because when I stick a battery charger on the system and let the battery get to 13V, it works.

The battery is not particulalry weak though, as it starts every time.
when you say that the the door won't unlock and open from the inside lever, are you sure you didn't first lock it with the key fob or the driver side key hole? You can't unlock the car any other way than with the key fob or the key hole if you locked it that way.

if your door doesn't unlock from the inside with the door lever, there is definately something mechanically wrong with your door. maybe the bowden cable is detached..

otherwise, if you hear a the locking mechanism working, but the doors don't unlock, most likely you will have to replace your door lock actuator which has been known to go out commonly. This was my case. I have had no door lock issues since I've replaced a faulty one.
byunts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 04:47 AM   #31
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
i've had this problem for awhile now, and discovered it happens on a hot day. It never happens when its cold.
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:48 PM   #32
bimmerboy36

My Ride: 02 Sk+ 330ci
anyone have success at the dealership with this problem? If so, what do I tell hte dealer when I go there. Should I just tell them its the central locking unit? Or should I just explain the problem and have them check everything?

is this covered under CPO warranty? I hope so!!!!
bimmerboy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:53 PM   #33
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
I have a same problem from yesterday.
I can open only driver side with remote and central locking button from inside.
and some times it sound so week when I push central locking button but my battery is good condition though.
does anyone find out the solutions?
Old 11-13-2005, 07:54 AM   #34
vinceye36

My Ride: BMW e46
same problem

i have the same problem.. i can lock my car from the remote and the lock button inside.. but most of the time the car wont unlock via the remote/unlock button inside the car..

im guessing its the module..

any news from the guys that experienced the same problem?
vinceye36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 10:56 AM   #35
hal88

My Ride: e90 330i
Same here, happens about 40% of the time, car won't unlock driver's side with the first remote push button, then it unlocks when i do it the second time to unlock the passenger side.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:01 AM   #36
my330ci04

My Ride: 04 330 ci, 06 650i
I had a similar problem with my 330 ci. The dealer fixed it both times under warranty. Since the last time the problem was fixed, I have only had the problem a few times.
my330ci04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #37
bimmer

My Ride: 323ci
I also have the same problem starting a month or two ago. It is only on the pasenger side and only if I try to use the key to unlock. I can get it pop out if I use the unlock button inside the car or keep pressing the key to lock/unlock a few times.

Somebody mentioned about the battery and I have a faulty voltmeter that needs to be replaced soon as it has not been charging my battery for the last two months.
Also, I also have a in-operating side mirror control module and I don't know if these two things would affect the door lock.

I just went to the dealer and they told me that it was because of the dirt at the latch and around the lock which they cleaned it and it worked only on that evening.

For my lock, it happens most when the weather is cold rather than hot though.

Mods: ECIS intake, B&B Triflo exhaust, clear corners, Valentine One, Bavauto front strut bar

Skip Barber Racing School (Lime Rock Park) 2004
Danny Mckeever's Racing School (Willow Springs) 2004
SCDA Track School (Walkins Glen) 2002
BMW CCA# 316230

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=29672
bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #38
CGRIZZ516

My Ride: 2000 323ci
yea same problem here...sometimes it works if i re-lock the car and then unlock again. it seems to be a problem for a lot of us

ECIS Intake / Shark Injector / Stock Type 44's
CGRIZZ516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 11:24 AM   #39
sprite113

My Ride: 99 328i
anyone ever get this fixed..I have the exact same problem.

It is the worst when you can only open the driver side with the key and none of the other doors will open from the inside or via the door lock button.

Does anyone think this has anything to do with the battery?
sprite113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #40
dadysev

My Ride: 1999 323i
Send a message via MSN to dadysev
i found that relocking the door twice fixes the problem. Its like the door lock module is getting confused and locking it twice reset's it.
dadysev is offline   Reply With Quote