E46 330 Exhaust Help Wanted - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-04-2014, 10:00 AM   #1
M4C-ND

My Ride: 330 CI Sport Ind.
E46 330 Exhaust Help Wanted

Hi guys,

I hope some one knows the answer to my questions.

Car ..

E46 2001 330 ci. Std full twin pipe exhaust ( not two into one pipe )

Problem ..

The flat gasket has burst between the pre / post cats flange and I am unclear as how to remove.

I thought the exhaust was simply bolted on with x4 M10 bolts around the flange steady but on actual inspection it appears to have only one top bolt / nut and or possibly studs.

I am unsure if the heads of the bolts have corroded so badly there not present and the old bolt body is there to be extracted ..

OR

Is there studs retaining the exhaust in place some how as there does not appear to be any sign of a Hexagonal bolt head pre cat side of the flange.

I've taken a picture so you know what i'm trying to explain. Link below.

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8fa47644.jpg

I've looked and looked and but can not find any information or simply have not searched correctly. Real OEM shows new M10 x40 nuts and bolts but that doesn't look the same so I do not want to force anything.

Does anyone have a picture of their's and or know how its to be removed / separated for new gaskets to be installed.

Thanks
M4C-ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
On my 325 bolts were pressed into headers (I think), and bolted up to the rear with bronze (or maybe copper) bolts. Maybe other way around...
Bolts were rusted badly, so I ended up cutting them off, drilling through, and pressing rest of the bolt out. Bought some stainless steel bolts, nuts, and locker washers from Ace hardware and never though about it.

Yours looks even worse than mine, so you might have to take similar route.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 AM   #3
330ninja

My Ride: '04 330 CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4C-ND View Post
Hi guys,

Car ..

Problem ..

The flat gasket has burst between the pre / post cats flange and I am unclear as how to remove.

I thought the exhaust was simply bolted on with x4 M10 bolts around the flange steady but on actual inspection it appears to have only one top bolt / nut and or possibly studs.

I am unsure if the heads of the bolts have corroded so badly there not present and the old bolt body is there to be extracted ..

OR

Is there studs retaining the exhaust in place some how as there does not appear to be any sign of a Hexagonal bolt head pre cat side of the flange.

I've looked and looked and but can not find any information or simply have not searched correctly. Real OEM shows new M10 x40 nuts and bolts but that doesn't look the same so I do not want to force anything.

Does anyone have a picture of their's and or know how its to be removed / separated for new gaskets to be installed.

Thanks
I'm about to remove my cats and install headers and mine looks to be the same. From what I undertand the cat side has studs that are inserted into the other flange and fastened with 4 bolts.

Pic attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	330ci b.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	571978  
330ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
330ninja

Quote:
Hi guys,

Car ..

Problem ..

OR

Thanks
Oh and from your pic it looks like 2 nuts are missing and one almost worn out. That would probably explain why the gasket is shot.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
M4C-ND

My Ride: 330 CI Sport Ind.
Okay guys, you have helped a lot. Now at least I know what im dealing with. Thank you for the picture 330Ninja. Much appreciated.

Oh PancakeBimmer, I assume you had to remove both manifolds / headers or did you managed it in place as it looks really awkward.

Last edited by M4C-ND; 09-05-2014 at 08:20 AM.
M4C-ND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:20 AM   #6
PancakeBimmer

My Ride: BMW 325i
I had car on ramps and jack stands, giving me just enough space to work. It is worth noticing that one of the O2 sensors failed afterward, probably because I tried hammering studs out (with proper support from opposite side, relax people) with the hammer. Or maybe it was just coincidence.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
330ninja

Quote:
Okay guys, you have helped a lot. Now at least I know what im dealing with. Thank you for the picture 330Ninja. Much appreciated.

Oh PancakeBimmer, I assume you had to remove both manifolds / headers or did you managed it in place as it looks really awkward.
No problem, best of luck. I'll have to do this job as soon as my headers get in. At least you have two of your bolts off. Already ahead of the game lol

Tags
330, exhaust, gasket