Window A/C Unit Question - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM   #1
evolved

My Ride: 2015 Chevy SS
Window A/C Unit Question

It is swamp ass hot in St. Louis right now and one of our upstairs bedrooms (our master) is in need of some cooling relief. We have central A/C, but that bedroom just gets way hotter than the rest of the upstairs.

So, if I install a window unit, is some sort of support a necessity?

Present
2015 Chevrolet SS
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

ss
evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:18 AM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Not if installed correctly.

You wedge the unit between the ceil and the sliding window then drill a small hole in the lip andscrew in small screw.

You could also wedge a small metal rod above it making sure it cant open.

The frigidare line at lowes is a fantastic value.
17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 07-14-2015 at 05:19 AM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
JTLaz

My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
It is swamp ass hot in St. Louis right now and one of our upstairs bedrooms (our master) is in need of some cooling relief. We have central A/C, but that bedroom just gets way hotter than the rest of the upstairs.

So, if I install a window unit, is some sort of support a necessity?
I'd pinpoint the issue with the room not being supplied the right amount of AC. You're going to end up dropping between $400-650 on a window unit and have it look like an eyesore (no offense).

Is your thermo downstairs? What direction does the window face? Is the duct to the bedroom obstructed? etc...
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
jerryprude

My Ride: Honda City
Installing a window unit is a nice way to get relief on hot days as they are cost effective alternative to central air system. Installing amtek air window unit is not difficult, but there are common installation mistakes you should avoid like sizing, weight distribution, insulation.
jerryprude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #5
wallaby13

My Ride: '05 ZHP 6MT
It just sits on the sill. You can do some extra insulation to keep it more efficient. We used two 8,000 BTU units to cool a 2 story 1000sqft town home. That worked ok, although the rooms without units didn't stay as cool as the others. Depending on your sq ft and temperature requirements a small 8,000 sqft might work just fine. I'd also install a wood rod to between the window panes to keep the window shut (security reasons).

There's also the units that sit on the ground with a hose to vent the hot air out of the room. They are a little less ugly and usually higher BTU's but more $$$
wallaby13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:38 AM   #6
King of Chicago

My Ride: '09 & '12 Acura MDX
we bought an old house in Ohio and the attic (which is finished space) was an oven. I bought a 8k btu kenmore for the bedroom, 12k for the other room, and the attic was ice cold all summer long. no support needed, as long as you have a good window to hold it in place. all the weight is on the front of the unit, very little weight outside the window. you can do an exterior support which looks ugly and is challenging, a second option is to put wooden dowels inside window to prevent window from sliding up.

im actually selling the AC units now, too bad you aren't local!
King of Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote