Removing the coolant expansion tank - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #1
Armanhammer12

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Removing the coolant expansion tank

So I need to remove my coolant expansion tank to put in a new radiator. All the hoses connected to the expansion tank have all been extremely hard to wiggle off. And I only need to take one last hose off. It's the hose on the back of the expansion tank, at the bottom of it. It feels like it's impossible to take off. It's also in a awkward spot too because I can't pry it off. I also tried taking the hose off from the opposite side that leads to the engine and that side won't come off either. I think from never being taken off regular and all the abuse the car has taken(oil leaks and over heating) has made it stuck to the expansion tank. So does anybody have any ideas on taking it off?

Last edited by Armanhammer12; 08-11-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Armanhammer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
riverwolf

My Ride: 2005 330Cic ZHP
That particular hose was an absolute pain. I cursed BMW for their decision to over engineer the cooling system with keyed fittings instead of straight nipples and hose clamps like 95+% of the other car manufacturers on the planet the entire time I was doing that job (and to this day). Anyway, all I can say is keep slowly working at it. IIRC, I found a few anchor points so I could use a long screw driver as a pry tool to push on the tank side of the hose connector instead of trying to pull it by the hose. I can't rememer if I also used a Liquid Wrench type product or not. It was one of those jobs that I would work on for a bit and then come back the next day to try again to avoid going Code Green on it. Fortunately, my E46 is a toy and not a primary vehicle. Good luck!
riverwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #3
allikanbe

My Ride: 2013 335is vert
Are you also trying from the bottom of the car? Keep at it. Maybe some silicone spray will help release the hose.
allikanbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
Armanhammer12

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Yea it's never easy for to go "code green" when I'm trying to pull the hose I'll keep at it. And I am trying for the bottom. I'll see about the silicon spray
Armanhammer12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #5
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
It's hard to get off sometimes. Once you've removed the hoses, and know for certain that the retaining clip is pulled out on the bottom, you might need to leverage it with something to pry it off. If it really is disconnected any ready to come off, don't be afraid to use a bit of force.

Last edited by lingon300k; 08-12-2016 at 10:35 AM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant expansion tank, coolant hose, radiator, radiator hose