Questions about Low Voltage (12V) Wiring/Power for LED Strip Lights - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
E30toF30

My Ride: F10 528i, E46M3
Questions about Low Voltage (12V) Wiring/Power for LED Strip Lights

Hey guys,

I am very very new with understanding volts, amps, etc when it comes to electrical stuff.
All I really know is the very high level stuff i've read up the last couple days as I'm looking to add some LED Strip lights in my garage as a cheap way to provide more light for when I'm working/doing stuff in the garage (mainly working on the car).

I have a couple questions about my requirements for what I'm looking to do, and then some questions on the proper way to wire them up.

So first of all, I've purchased the following:

- 4 x 5m reels of 5630 LEDs strip lights - http://www.ebay.com/itm/201106934886...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Looks like the specs for these lights are as follows on the right side of this image:

- 1 x Power Supply - http://www.ebay.com/itm/172416251052...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Specs - 12V, 30A, 360W

This power supply, with a max of 30A should have no problem running FOUR of these LED strips which i believe require 5A each, totally 20A, leaving me with a good cushion right? I could probably add a 5th strip and still be well under the 30A max right? And its probably a good idea to NOT run a 6th strip on this one PS correct?

So I've now decided to go with 4 more strips (going to go with 4 rows x 2 strips for double the light) - so a total of 8 strips.
This one PS will not be sufficient to power all 8 light strips correct? I happen to have an old Dell computer PS with the following specs:

If I'm reading this correctly, at 12V it can manage 18A? So in this case, this PS would probably only comfortably run 3 strips of lights?
So if I'm to use both of these PS, then I can connect 5 strips to the first PS and 3 strips to the Dell PS and i should be fine?
I'm also open to buying a second one of the 12V, 30A, 360W PS's if that is a better option (or even one the bigger ones that handle 12V 40A 480W).

I've read up on converting a PC PS for powering these LED's and believe I have it setup right.

I was planning on simply running one set of wires to the Live and Ground wires, and then splitting that wire up to each LED strip closer to where the LED's are mounted.

-------------------------------------------------

So my second question has to do with wiring this up.
As you can see, the 12V 30A 360W PW has three V+ and three V- terminals. However, I'll need to power 5 strips of LEDs.
Should I be daisy chain type connection like the top image? And I guess in this case I would simply use one positive and one negative terminal and leave the other two sets of +/- terminals unused?

Or should I be doing it more like the bottom image, where it appears I still only use one positive and one negative terminal again, and just splitting the wire where I need to connect to each LED strip? Which would have me leaving the other two sets of +/- terminals unused?

Or should I be using one all three sets of +/- terminals and just double up on two of them to provide power to all five strips of LED's?

And likewise for the Dell PS, should I be running it like a daisy chain? Or can I just run one wire to the PS, and then split it up closer to the LEDs?

Hopefully these questions make sense as I'm trying to understand it all. TBH these kinds of things are like rocket science to me LOL

Thanks in advance guys!
E30toF30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:56 PM   #2
GlockMan

My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I am not reading all that right now but I saw something about 20amps of consumption. LEDs needing 20 amps will be visible from space.

A 300-500 lumens mr16 uses less than 10w at 12v.

A 1000w transformer could run 100 of those lamps and has a 10 amp fuse in the secondary.

You could light a double garage well with less than 30 of them.

Ask the seller if they will run on 12v ac. If so, use a landscape lighting transformer. Much easier.

Homerun each led strip to the transformer. Conect all + together and all - together.

Hook up 2 strips and see what you got before you keep adding and adding.

I will read/write more later if needed.

JMO
17 Time National Champs Including: 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017. We WILL Get Redemption In 2019!

Ranting about TVs, football, cameras, guns, diamonds, and HDMI since 2005.

16 Honda Accord Sedan V6 Touring (wife)
07 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD
68 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS
-------------------------------------------------------
07 Lexus GS350
00 BMW DINAN M5
01 BMW 330ci

Last edited by GlockMan; 01-03-2017 at 06:11 PM.
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote