SHOT Show 2018 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 03:34 AM   #1
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
SHOT Show 2018

It’s time for my annual SHOT Show thread where I post up what is rumored to be coming out, what I’m looking forward to, and what actually comes out.

Glock
Glock announced the Gen5 19X, Gen5 34 MOS and Gen5 26. I’m glad to see that Glock is being realistic about their market share and the need to focus on the 9mm platforms. G26 and 34MOS are going to be big sellers. That said, the only reason to get a G34 at this point is the longer sight radius, which is nullified by installing an RDS.
The 19X is a G17 length grip with a slide and front frame of a G19. I get why they did this, but I’m not sold on it. I do see a lot of the Roland Special fanboy crowd jumping on this one.
Glock’s on my shlt list for ditching the front cocking serrations on the Gen4 FS. If they had put the FS slide on the Gen5, life would be pretty good. WTF, Glock?

NightForce
Nightforce has FINALLY come out with their long-fabled 1-8x in the form of the ATACR and NX8.
NX8 1-8x F1 is a FFP scope with the NXS glass, which is still considered to be exceptional glass. This scope is 8.75” long and 17oz in weight. Daylight visible illumination with a BDC reticle that can be used at higher magnification. Street price of $1715. This scope in particular is the most anticipated scope for me, and I am very much considering buying it for duty use at work.

ATACR 1-8x F1 is also FFP, but it uses ED glass found on other ATACR models, which is basically the highest quality glass you can get. This ED glass is supposed to be from Schott in Germany. This scope is longer at 10” long and 21oz in weight. This also has a daylight visible reticle that turns into a BDC at higher mag. Street price of $2744 is a grand more than the NX model, so the question is whether it’s worth the extra money.

Kahles
Rumors are still floating that Kahles will come out with a K18i model. The current LPVO they offer is the K16i 1-6x, but their sister company, Swarovski, has had the Z8i 1-8x out for over a year. Given that they share tech, Kahles should be coming out with a K18i 1-8x any time now. They really have no excuse not to, but then and again, they had no excuse not to last year and didn’t.

Burris
Burris just came out with their RT-6 1-6x, which is a competitor for the Vortex StrikeEagle. The $349 price tag is the same as the Vortex as well. Here’s the kicker- Burris actually knows how to make a proper illumination on their scopes so this thing should have red dot bright illumination similar to the XTR-II. In short, illumination that you can actually see and use. Given the substantial shortcomings of the StrikeEagle line, I can see the RT-6 being the new leader in the economical LPVO world. Burris is owned by Beretta, which also owns Steiner, so it’s important to remember that they are using their own tech to develop this stuff. Vortex contracted out the StrikeEagle, which is why it’s the same as the Primary Arms ACSS. Because of that, I foresee the Burris being the superior optic.

Trijicon
Trijicon is rumored to be coming out with a 1-6x AccuPower. Again, this is the usual 1-6x rumor that keeps coming around every year, so I’m taking this with a grain of salt. Logic dictates that since they have the AccuPoint 1-6x, they have the capabilities to make an AccuPower 1-6x. It would also stand to reason that they would want something in the 1-6x realm that is a lot more palatable than the VCOG for cost and size, and lighter and smaller than the giant boat anchor that is the 1-8x AccuPower.

Aimpoint
Aimpoint put out the CompM5 this year, and they have also put out some basic info on the Nano. The Nano is going to be their miniature RDS for pistols. If they do put the Nano into production, it will be a solid contender with the Trijicon RMR as the top dog in the pistol RDS world. As it stands, the RMR is the clear cut winner in the pistol RDS reliability game, with Leupold DeltaPoint Pro coming in seconds a ways back. Everyone else is a distant loser to them. It would be nice to have a third pistol RDS that is reliable.

IWI
IWI is coming out with a Tavor 7, which is a Tavor chambered in .308. This is a great concept, and unlike the Desert Tech MDR that I still don’t have, it won’t be vaporware.

Streamlight
There is rumors of a new TLR weaponlight that is more compact, and supposed to be designed for the G19 size of pistols while still having super high output. Good on them.

SureFire
SureFire has been putting out several new lights, as they have been collaborating with normal people like John Johnston for a little while. The new EDC line is an example of this. Additionally, the new XH35 1000 lumen WML is a big improvement. Word is that there is a second WML that they’re putting out. I think I heard something about the next one being just a straight X300 Ultra 1000 lumen option. We will see.

Springfield
1911 Operator 10mm is coming. Prepare yourselves.

Sig Sauer
Sig has a couple things coming out, including the X5 Duty pistol. The question here is WHEN they will actually get this stuff out. The X5 VTAC still is next to impossible to get.
There is word that they’re revamping their Tango6 line a little bit, so we’ll see. I know that the Romeo1 is now a 2nd Generation model.
I’d like to see what the Virtus actually is and does. So far that thing is vaporware.

Meopta
There is a new RDS that Meopta made in the Czech Republic that they are using to compete with Aimpoint. MSRP is $999, so this thing better give a blowjob or something.
Dinan Lowering Springs and Bumpstops
Dinan 20" Black Performance Wheels

Learning Firearms
Firearms training and hosted shooting courses

http://www.learningfirearms.com/schedule.html

Last edited by Reedo302; 01-05-2018 at 03:40 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
Knight

My Ride: SL63 | SHO | 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Glock announced the Gen5 19X, Gen5 34 MOS and Gen5 26. Iím glad to see that Glock is being realistic about their market share and the need to focus on the 9mm platforms.

Springfield 1911 Operator 10mm is coming. Prepare yourselves.
Time to expand my collection.

Some more info on the Gen 5:

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/glo...n-differences/

Doesn't look to be anything game-changing, but rather an improvement building off of an excellent predecessor.
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
So now that Shot show has come and gone, what did you guys like or dislike? Did anyone here actually attend?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 PM   #4
Reedo302

The big one for me are the Nightforce 1-8x. The NX8 30mm and ATACR 34mm models are supposed to be amazing. My buddy, Dave Timm with Guns&Tactics Magazine was there and he did a review on them and he said they’re the real deal. The illumination is daylight visible like a red dot, and the glass is amazing. For Learning Firearms, we may be getting one or both of the 1-8x scopes for testing. We are wanting to do a long-term test like with the Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x last year. Having a summer loaner 1-8x would make me very happy.

I’m also very excited about the Leupold Mark5 scopes. The 3.6-18x is intriguing, but the 5-25x is the real winner there. Optical quality is supposed to be on par with competitors like the Vortex Razor and NightForce ATACR. It’s especially enticing if you qualify for the MIL/FED/LE pricing, which puts that scope under $2k.

Learning Firearms

Last edited by Reedo302; 02-01-2018 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:28 PM   #5
mcr_driver

My Ride: my favorite two feet
I can never tell what model is what when it comes to Leupold...like what scope compares to what lol the hunt for a 3-X scope continues for me so I'll keep my eyes open for sales this year. I still lean towards vortex because of the warranty but since I got an MRO it's really made me look at other reputable brands more.

I think by far and away the biggest fail was franklin's not an SBR sbr...smh

From what I saw the HK433 looks interesting but I don't know how much more of an "advancement" it is compared to the SCAR, Bren ETC...
Old 02-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #6
Reedo302

The HK433 solved the problem of the G36 barrel trunion, which was steel trunion set inside polymer and prone to distortion and melting. That, and a cheaper option than issuing HK416s.

I like Vortex’s warranty, but the smoke and mirrors their fan base puts up does a good job. The dirty secret behind Vortex is that their warranty is so well known because it’s so often used. Their Razor line is the only line that really has been without problems, once they got the ocular redesign fixed in the Gen 1 5-20x. The rest of their scopes have had varying issues, with the issues becoming more numerous as you drop down in the product lines.
Leupold has an outstanding reputation for quality. Leupold’s warranty and repair sees a fraction of the optics that Vortex sees. I’ve talked to Leupold about their warranty service (never needed it), and read some instances online about people using it, and it appears that they are just as committed to their products and warranty as Vortex is.
I’m not saying this to bash Vortex, but rather to point out that Vortex isn’t the only one. I’ve had my issues with both companies over the years, but the optical quality vs value of Vortex is overplayed immensely. I personally will never again own a Vortex scope that isn’t a Razor.

Learning Firearms